I think I am good on Bacon and Sausage for a little while :)

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Thunder5Ranch, Nov 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

90,000-95,000 pounds per year for the finishers. I have a couple of feed mills and have a row cropper neighbor custom farm a 40 acre corn/bean field 20 corn 20 beans rotated every year. average 2500bu per year (140,000#) out of the 50k left over it goes to maintaining the breeding herd, poultry feed and grain finishing 8-10 steers. from the 20 corn that I bin as shell corn and mill and add supplement to to fill the 2000 bulk pasture feeders as needed. Works out to .11 cents per pound for the feed this way, VS the elevators .14 cents per pound. 3 cents doesn't sound like much until you multiply it by 140,000 :) The 2012 drought about gave me a stroke, my field ended up just getting bush hogged, test run with combine showed 17bu per acre and it was infested with alpha toxin. So buying grain in 2013 was a high price nightmare.

2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^Dang![afro]

3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

No way could I EVER convert to Islam. I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove bacon!

Bandit99 and ghrit like this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Frying Bacon is Islamic repellent, just passing through a bacon vapor guarantees they will go to hell. Anyone who takes pride in being a infidel must eat bacon on a regular basis :)

Asia-Off-Grid, Ganado and ghrit like this.
  5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I will probably sell 95-98 weans as feeder finishers. Won't make much from them given the current disaster in the pork market. Feeders at auction been going at $6-$8 a head and Direct from farm to farm $25-$35 per head. LOL this time last year I was getting $100 per average wean ans $150 for the top shelf pigs. Amazingly the prices at the grocery store have not dropped much on beef or pork. Problem is 2014 the PED Virus was sensationalized and over hyped. And most everyone believed there was going to be a pork shortage, so everyone and their dog bought breeding stock and started building up a pork operation. Then early 2016 the fruit of that effort absolutely glutted the market. Now everyone that was going to capitalize and get rich quick is trying like hell to dump their pigs and keeping the market flooded as they are losing their hind quarters. I have been doing this small scale since 1986 and as the T5R since 2000 and grew up doing this in the 70s and 80s when it was really bad and the Government are artificially depressing to pork market to get rid of all of the small scale family operations. The 6 cent per pound days were brutal on the family farm back in the late 70s and early-mid 80s. And it was all about consolidation and shifting pork production from all of the small operations to the mega operations. I remember Grandpa coming home from one of the auctions with a check for $3,200 for 135 pigs that weighed a total of 40,000 pounds and punching the kitchen table so hard that the old oak table split down the middle...... And Grandpa broke his hand LOL. Seen every trend between then and now. This is going to last about another 8-10 months as the fly by nights continue to lose money and dump their stock and getting .30-.40 cents per pound. Part of the reason I don't sell very many whole custom finished hogs is they take the biggest hit in a depressed market trend. Packaged processed cuts absorb the hit much better as most people are not going to deal with getting a meat broker license and the quarterly facility inspections or the added cost of processing under HACCP for retail selling. Just processing those 150 finished hogs for retail sale under HACCP I will write a check for $18,750 not a lot of folks willing to shell out that kind of money on a bet that they are going to sell 27,750 pounds of processed packaged pork. After they already have $16,800 tied up in conventional feed, or $31,700 tied up in their very special certified organic feed from South America. That may or may not really be organic. Then sell at say a premium right now of .40cents per pound on the hoof (45,000 pounds hoof weight) and get a payday of $18000 Best case they are going to make $1,200 worst case the hit a .30 cent per pound market and rake in $13,500 and now are running in the red. Enough did go HACCP Processing and have pulled the retail market down in their desperation sales to drop the retail farm to fork market by 45% and losing their backside. We are all feeling the pain of this, most of us that have been around a while saw this coming because PEDV was obviously being over played and sensationalized. We keep and eye to the sky and a ear to the ground and know what everyone else is doing. It was beyond obvious by mid 2015 that in 2016 the market was going to be absolutely flooded. And it was going to be flooded by people that started out with 50-500 head of feeders and no direct market developed for their product. So they put them out on Craiglist and FB swap sites at cut throat prices and drag the entire local and regional markets down with them. The same thing is playing out in the conventional market as the big ballers opened more 40,000 - 60,000 head confinement barns and have flooded the National wholesale market. Why are prices not dropping at the grocery store? Because the only people making money in this right now are the middle men that are buying dirt cheap and brokering high. The other people still making money are those of us that direct market and saw the future coming and cut our production back. A normal year I finish 200-225 hogs and sell 50 as custom whole and halfs and the other 150 get processed HACCP and put in my market and store retail freezers. The other 5 guys in my region and myself all cut our 2016 numbers by 60%-80% I only finished 30 hogs in 2016. The 150 piglets now I will slow grow and have them at 325-340 pounds next November and am betting the glut and the fly by night farmers will be flushed out of the market and prices will normalize back to .90cents to $1.05 per pound at the sale barns. LOL it does not pay to mind other peoples business, it does pay to watch what everyone elses business is and how it impacts your business and adapt accordingly.

Ganado, 3M-TA3 and Bandit99 like this.
  6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

BACON SEEDS!
    And an orgy of nom nom photos too?

Seriously @Thunder5Ranch, if the Mr has an unfortunate sleeping accident involving a pillow over his face some night, I'm gonna be batting eyelashes your way.

7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

My wife might take exception :) Course the only reason I think she hangs around is the cinnamon RollZ.

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

OK, that settles it - MonkeyFest at Thunder 5 Ranch. Bring your own forks.

9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

We have a MonkeyFest!!!!!????

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

We do now - that bacon isn't going to eat itself! We are always there to help out a monkey in need (when there is food and/or beer involved).

11. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Hmmm we do have the party in the woods every fall. Usually just spit and roast a whole hog :) Hmmmm Again Could Be Thunder MonkeyFest.

3M-TA3 and Ganado like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

im in!!!!

3M-TA3 likes this.
  13. Asia-Off-Grid

While I was hooked at "bacon", the cinnamon rolls line sealed the deal.

chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Now there is one of my favorite combos Cinnamon RollZ and Bacon :)

chelloveck and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

By the way, I will be arriving from Cambodia. So, I will need some accommodations as well. Got a hammock hanging anywhere? I'm both cheap AND easy.

Wait. That didn't sound right.

16. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Have the old camper and well as far as the cheap and easy part..... there is a very liberal town 40 miles to the SW I am sure we can find you a man, a woman or something in between to keep warm :)

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  17. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Mmmmmmm. Muslim repellent. :)

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

We raise a couple of feeders each year for our freezers. Here is this year pre-cooking the bacon from them, prior to canning it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanging in our cooler, pre-bacon stage:

[​IMG]

19. Asia-Off-Grid

What do you feed them? (Anyone who raises pigs, please feel free to reply.)

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Neighbor raises them... She buys Purina PigChow by the pallet Load, for Winter, and Cannery MessHall Scraps during the summer.....

Asia-Off-Grid and chelloveck like this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Benjamin A. Wood
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. Benjamin A. Wood
  8. Benjamin A. Wood
  9. BenP
    [ATTACH] Last 15-20 years and makes more every year.
    Thread by: BenP, Sep 20, 2018, 15 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid
  15. Asia-Off-Grid
  16. Asia-Off-Grid
  17. Asia-Off-Grid
  18. Asia-Off-Grid
  19. Asia-Off-Grid
  20. Asia-Off-Grid