I Walk Everywhere-My EDC kit

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Castiel, Jul 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. UrbanFool

UrbanFool The Village Idiot

Two days ago I looked and it's 75 cents to make a call.

2. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

That's why God gave us the cell phones!... b::

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

A good quality plastic trash bag.

Can be used to protect and hide your EDC kit.

Other uses but most you have covered but backup is always nice to have.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and they (Trash Bags) make great Rain Covers for Folks working on the cheap.....

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I would add a pre-paid phone card. Before the advent of cell phones, I would always carry a pre-paid card in my wallet. It's been decades, but I still do. Doesn't cost much. Toll-free would still mean toll-free, I imagine. And the per minute cost for most calls is pennies. Save the $10 roll of quarters for other applications (like defense?).

Tully Mars and Brokor like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Burner phone

hitchcock4, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I like my Golite poncho, but not sure if you can still get it.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You can even wear one wrapped around your wrist. May be a cool looking thing. Most folks will have no clue what it is. I have a paracord and leather one. Actually have worn it around my wrist. No one pays attention. But mostly, it is in my bag. It goes through TSA too.

kellory and Ganado like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Oh, a fire item I really like is this cotton piping cord. You can get it in different sizes. Just char one end ahead of time and you always have char cloth. The larger the diameter, the bigger and hotter the coal. It takes a spark really easy and works awesome. I will also thread it through a short length of pipe or wood. And when you are done, just retract it and cover the end and it snuffs out and is ready for next time. Gotta run so will look for pictures another time. Cotton lamp wick works too, but not as well. But the flat sick is so small, you can always have a little length in your wallet and along with a sparklite, always have fire in your pocket to back up your lighter.

Ganado, kellory and Brokor like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I wonder in hindsight if the payphone was killed off not due to drug dealers.... but to push us all toward cell phones. Cells allow the .gov to monitor us much more effective. With most of the population having one now days, we are all on an information tether in some form. Our work can track us, uncle sammy can.... so can your spouse. WE have been hoodwinked by the latest and greatest technology. You have lines outside of Apple stores waiting for the next upgrade... like a good sheep!!!!

Tully Mars and Hanzo like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

imma pull out a leather bull whip. :) it looks like a whip, stings like a whip, and with a little practice can do amazing things :)

Ofc when you are learning or out of practice it can pop the user pretty good.

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We have some of these. I found a sale for $5 a piece. Depending on the brand, you can throw $10 on your phone and the minutes will last for 3 months.

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Let's a picture of you and your whip!

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

And DW's shoes.....

Dont and Hanzo like this.
  15. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Hanzo touched on this a little bit, above. A roll of quarters, inside your fist, adds quite a bit of wallop, if you have to defend yourself. Dropped down into a tube sock (you DO have a spare pair of socks in your EDC, right?), it makes a nice weapon, too!

Tully Mars, Hanzo and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Agree. I have the locations of several pay phones in the general area memorized. Most all truck stops have them as well.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Tully Mars

Dimes fit my hand better. A wrap of fricton tape over them works well to keep them together, however it does make them look more like "a weapon" to TPTB if that matters to a person.

18. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Heat shrink tubing works great and is "Just a way to keep them handy."

Dont and Tully Mars like this.
  19. Tully Mars

:sneaky:[winkthumb]

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Until you try that, it sounds like a good idea. You WILL break a finger or two if you hit a bone, like, say, a chin.

1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Motomom34
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Shinzo
  9. Fatum1965
  10. 3M-TA3
  11. Seacowboys
  12. TailorMadeHell