Idea for drying wood out for use with a gasifier

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by hank2222, Jul 6, 2011.

1. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

You know that wood has to cut up into little chunk's to make ready for the socalled gasifier unit ..

So here is the idea.. Cut the log's down into three to five inch long rounds like you see in the socalled outdoor logging chainsaw cutting shows where they cut the log in rounds in a time race againest each other ..then stack the rounds in a one slightly over the other in a offset pattern where there is a pattern going up to the top like a chesse wheel stacking leting them dry out over the year time frame .

Then take and make wood chunk's out of the drying pile .Then useing a gas powered wood splitter unit-x-10 rounds to the splitter unit splitting area than split them .Then after the wood round's have been split throw the chunked pieces of wood into a couple of 55 gallon barrel to feed the hopper unit of the gasifier ..

The barrel is kept close to the gasifier unit under the cover of a shed to run the unit as it need with wood .

The 55 gallon barrel could hold about one to two months worth's of wood chunk's to feed the gasifier as it need ..

Plus have a few extras barrels filled for use dureing the winter time ready as a back up fuel for just in case use ..

It just a idea for the people who are thinking about running a gasifier to make power ..

Kingfish likes this.
  2. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Having worked with wet wood for years i can tell you the center of your stack will not dry that well. You would be surprised at the micro climate inside a stack of wet wood. If you places a fan around the then that would move the moist air out and help with drying. I have found for small pieces nothing works better than an old car with a window cracked to let the moisture out. You can also maybe a box out of old windows and leave an air gap to let the moister out.

Jason

Kingfish and hank2222 like this.
  3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

We have a pallet shop down the road, and they use a LOT of 4x6, 6x6, 6x8 heart cants ( think railroad ties if you're not familiar with heart cants ), and they get them from sawmills in various lengths. Then they feed them into a cutoff saw that cuts them into the length needed for a particular pallet order, then feed the cut pc into a gang rip saw to make boards.

The final cut on the cant leaves a "chunk" ( ideally as short as possible to minimize waste ), so they have this huge pile of 'cutoffs' that vary from a couple inches to a foot or so, of whatever size the cant was ( 4x6, etc ). They simply pile them in big mound, and folks come get them for stove wood. They dry pretty dang well sitting out in the sun with no special treatment.

4. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Another thing to look for. When i worked in the molding shop any off fall or scrap would get fed into a chop saw. That saw generally cut the wood into 10"-12" pieces. They are dry kiln wood to 7%. I use them in my outdoor stove in the morning to get things roaring. If i get a gasifier i will be using these as well. $10 for a 4'x4'x4' box or $35 delivered for a dump truck of 4 boxes... I choose delivery.

Jason

5. beast

beast backwoodsman

lol, i just get paid to tear down houses and haul them away
    lots of reusable lumber and a lot of seasoned firewood
    very well seasoned firewood :D

Kingfish likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7