Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I prefer mine a little older!
    [​IMG]

STGThndr, Tully Mars, arleigh and 2 others like this.
  2. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

I think this has come up in the past. "In the end, the T44 was selected over the T48/FAL primarily because of weight (T44 was a pound lighter), simplicity with fewer parts " M14 rifle - Wikipedia
    M1A-Loaded.

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Truth be told, I would have a really hard time choosing between my M-1A and one of my FAL's They both just WORK!

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Totally agree on this argument. I'd throw in the PTR-91's, from what I have seen of them, but totally agree.

STGThndr and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

[drooling]

It is a very tough choice. I love 'em both.
    Between the two I would lean towards the FN-FAL because of the adjustable gas system but that's me.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and M118LR like this.
  6. M118LR

The self regulating gas system of the T44 (M14/M1A/M21/M25) was proven to work even more reliably and with less complication.

"The M14 rifle and M60 GPMG use the White expansion and cutoff system to stop (cut off) gas from entering the cylinder once the piston has traveled a short distance.[1] " Gas-operated reloading - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Tully Mars

Like I said, it works for me. YMMV;)

Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Those are great rifles for defense. IF YOU HAVE RESUPPLY.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

Very true, but that can be said for most any firearm.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. M118LR

When considering what makes the "Ideal Survival Rifle" it would be prudent to examine what your rifle won't do, instead of what it does best. Whatever situation you find yourself in, the rifle your holding is going to have to get you out of it. Choose Wisely!

Kingfish, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Tully Mars

I've not had much to do with any PTR stuff. If they work like a real HK it would be a good choice but not my go to.
    HK's are very robust, but are heavy.
    I've never liked that they don't have a bolt hold on the last shot.
    HK's are very hard on brass. Not a big deal if you don't reload, but it is if you do and PSHTF if you don't reload you will have to be very careful with your ammo.
    Don't get me wrong, the HK line has more than proven itself in combat the world over. But .govs don't have to worry about reloading and I do. My HK's get about 1/2 the life out of brass compared to my ARs, FN's, M1A's, Steyr's and Galil's.

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My current edc rifle is a 10 pound .45LC...so most of these guns are improvements on overall weight and power. Haha.

Honestly, I am more worried about them running, and getting hits downrange, and ammo a not distant 3rd.

13. M118LR

So now that those following this thread have their semi-automatic gas operated 7.62 x 51 mm clutched by their side, what provisions do you have to attach your suppressor? (You don't actually need a suppressor at this point, but do you have provisions for a suppressor when you come across one in the field?) Can your gas system be turned off? So that it can be manually cycled like a bolt action? Is your sighting system high enough to see over the can?

14. Tully Mars

One of the FN's I built up will function with the suppressor attached.

15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

And empty a rifle is just a club

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Okay what a .22 wont do. Kill Big Bears before they kill you. Kill animals over 200 pounds efficiently though with accurate head shots will kill game bigger then that. Is ineffective after 200 yards and really starts falling off the table after 100 yards. Other than those few things? Great all around rifles. I would not attack a navy seal armed with a Ruger 10-22 who knew how to shoot or anyone else for that matter. And before someone says it I will. No Navy Seal would arm himself with such a low powered weapon. However a suppressed .22 IN THE HANDS OF SUCH A SKILLED WARRIOR ? Deadly. This is why No one should disrespect any round That can kill you.

Homer Simpson and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

What my 30-06 cant do. Cant be used for small game without re sighting, reloading, and you must be a reloader to do so. Cant be used in close quarters or is hard to use . Can not carry more than 120 rounds. Ammo is very expensive and this means it cant be classified as practical for having thousands of rounds. Cant be carried for long periods without discomfort. Being a bolt action is only good for long range sniper fire in a gun fight. 5 round round magazine capacity. It would be my last choice to carry if I had to run.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

What my AR-15 cant do. Cant be used for small game unless the rounds are light loaded and that means once again re sighting and it also effects the blow back. Not much good past 200 yards but could be. It would be my go to gun if I had to run. I can carry over 300 rounds and still have room and weight for essential things like water filters, food bars medical kit, extra socks, Poncho etc. . I really believe the 5.56 is the best compromise of weight to power and available platforms. If there was such a thing as a very accurate .22 long rifle conversion I would own one. I have not found one yet that matches the accuracy of my 981-t Marlin .22 But with such a conversion I could carry 300 5.56 and near 1000 .22 rounds. I would be armed for a long long time with no resupply.

STGThndr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. M118LR

Would it be to sarcastic to ask what your time in the 40 is while sporting 300 rounds?
    How about the 440? (1/4 Mile)

I'm going to hedge, but if I'm using a Bolt action, and all the folks on the wrong side are only equipped with 300 rounds of 22 LR. I think it will prove more than adequate.

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. M118LR

Why do they make Bayonets?
    And head shot's with your 30-06 are just as effective as with your 22 LR, they can just be performed at much longer ranges.

1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki
  12. OldDude49