Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Bragging time!
    Here she is, finally up and running! Has a quick detach/tip off scope mount via an old Winchester Mod 54 that I modified to fit low and tight, and a quick dismount for the tuned Redfield rear sight that is perfectly matched to the globe front sight! With ether sighting system, she can still feed from stripper clips, and still uses the mag cut off for all the benefits this offers! She sports a Super accurate Criterion 4 grove national match barrel, a fully blueprinted action and silky smooth bolt! This is how bolt actions are done!
    [​IMG]

jim2, Kruel J, Dont and 3 others like this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Pretty. Like the concept.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Love it! Bang Bang!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

How does the suppressor attach?

5. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Always like the 30.06 for the simple fact that you have so many available ammo options. Like this one the 55 gr accelerator that gets you to 4,000 ft per accuracy can be very reliant on weather tho. But just the same also because it is a sabot no rifling marks. Remington Express Ammo 30-06 Springfield Accelerator 55 Grain Pointed

oldawg, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Isn't the 'best one...' the one you can shoot accurately? :D:p:D

SB21, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. rep1270

rep1270 Monkey+++

I like most anything in 308. But what happens when the cartridges run out? The only thing you have left would be a flintlock. You can make your own bullets and your own powder. It may take longer to load but you can still shoot. But, to me, the best firearm in the world is the one you have in your hand when you really need it. Thanks. Ralph

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The Muzzle is threaded in front of the front sight! It can swap between different muzzle devises! Had to thread it to a standard AR thread pitch and ream my flash hider ( YMH 3 prong) to .310 to make it all work! So far, so good!

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Kruel J

Kruel J Monkey

Nothing not to like here!

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Wait till you see the Schmidt & Rubin I'm building, will blow your mind! Rebarreled to .308 and am in the middle of fine tuning the action to feed perfectly, It's super close! Going to pick out several Claro Walnut Blanks today and start making patterns to play with before deciding which one I like best!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Kruel J

Kruel J Monkey

We need to get together one of these days for some range time!

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Past Due Brother! Or at least Nancy Jo's for a Burger and Root Beer! LOL

YOur an RSO up @ Clark Right?
    I gotta get up there and do some chootin with the boys, it's been too long, and I wanted to see Joe's new Tat collection! LOL

Gator 45/70 and Kruel J like this.
  13. Kruel J

Kruel J Monkey

Hell yes!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'll bring the Sippy cups and we can sneak out some Fry Sauce! I bet that stuff would make awesome bloody marry's!

Kruel J and Tully Mars like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't know if i mentioned it before but the fact of the matter is ,even if things do whittle down to black powder eventually , the consequence of events don't start there, they end there .
    Those with the more sophisticated equipment will have the advantage till their resources run out , chances are if they have the means for the hi tech they have the means to stock pile more than most.
    If one cannot afford to feed an expensive weapon may be he should consider something more affordable as a survival weapon .
    I do not have the illusion of picking up ammo from others, so I stock pile ammo for the duration of the ownership of the gun how ever long that is. the life of the gun is the ammo .
    If you have no ammo the $5,000.oo gun is just an expensive door stop .
    However If you have managed to survive by some quirk of fate , knowing how to make gun powder and primers and such you'd be further ahead in the aftermath. but so long as modern weaponry is functional it will have the upper hand.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Kruel J

Kruel J Monkey

Yeah, I help out there from time to time. :)

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Battle Badger

Battle Badger Monkey

I've always been a "run what you brung" kinda guy. I've worked up to the AR15 with a M4gery, a 20" A4 and a scoped 24". Next stop is a .30 something, I'd love a GA Precision M40A1 replica but I'd also go for a M110 replica... Then 338 Lapua... But I'm sticking with what I've got until I can both have max range on my current setup(s) and can afford to drop the funds. Not to mention supplies, they get hungry every now and again.

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

300 Rum is supposed ot have better ballistics than .338

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Survival rifle - survival connotates being on the move - packing your entire life support system on your back - resupply of expended calories is a major factor in the struggle to survive.- carrying as many calories as possible on your back means ditching the fantasy survival crap people think they will carry with them - like a reloading setup, been there, even a pocket Lee is not practical - just too much weight - then the Ninja drug store warriors who intend on fighting some sort of never ending fantasy firefight where they don't get blown away as in real life - they won't last long as those 1,000's of bullets don't taste that good, and they will only need to eat one that is self administered to end their suffering - we are talking rifles because we already know that shotguns are impractical for long term survival due to constant movement phase and weight of shotgun shells which makes them a loser - weight of a daily movement pack will probably average - REALISTICALLY - 45 lbs. which is HEAVY - including shelter system, clothing, as much food and calories as possible, water, water filtering system, cordage, fishing and trapping gear, footgear, cooking gear, medical gear, tools like knives, hatchets, and etc., - the 45 lbs. INCLUDES the weight of your survival rifle and your resupply of ammo for it - the logical survival rifle is a light .22 Long Rifle - get over it - most here couldn't walk 10 miles a day for 5 days WITHOUT a backpack - the shin splints, blisters, and joint pain would put them down way before the 50 miles in 120 hours was completed - with a backpack and in a survival movement phase most here are dead in 48 hours - DEAD - not a game but real shit DEAD - and feeding a host of critters with your decaying rotting smelling flesh - YOU ARE DEAD!!!! I will walk past your carcass and check your pack for calories - your big bore "survival rifle" along with it's heavy ammunition will be left to rust and corrode away with your scavenger scattered bleaching bones - only calories interest me and a poor choice in gear has put you in the next phase of existence or nonexistence that we call death - good luck to you there, and I will join you at some point - but not now, as I move on past your remains, carrying my .22 rimfire which has already dropped 2 deer in the past month, along with several smaller animals for me to feed on - I should be able to last for several years with a carried supply of 200 .22 LR rounds - and resupply of .22's from the hundreds of dead humans I have come across is a distinct possibility - mine has defended me twice from wild dog packs, and once from aggressive humans - the .22 Long Rifle is the ULTIMATE survival rifle in the real world - please don't confuse it with fantasy island survival rifles - drugstore cowboy tales - or wet dream marketing ploys of the Madison Avenue crowd - see you DEAD or alive - your choice...

20. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

good point on the ,22. Might carry more than 200 rounds though-just sayin'.

Oltymer likes this.
  1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki