Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Head shot?

I agree with the "define use" idea.

I agree with everything you said

Lone Wolfs that went it alone in the Yugo civil war (Balkans) were dead by the end of winter for the same reason(either bad guy's or desperate people)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

One of my favorite rounds... Not all .22s like them though. Ground squirrels are a problem here and .22 s are a great remedy. Love when I shoot one, the squirrel next to him never noticed. Can you say follow up shot? Long barrel seems to catch most of the noise and shooting back from the wall catches the rest. The Aquila hyper velocity (chrono says 1650 fps) 30gr and 9X scope takes them out to 100yds. Hollow point realy does a number on them. I have to use two different rifles as what one gun shoots well the other won't. The best part of any survival gun is the knowledge of the operator. (you have a brain, use it)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Right on, this reflects my thinking as well. The only PROBLEM with the 7.62X39 (here in the USA) will be ammo availability, that cartridge just isnt as available as the 5.56 in these parts. Yes there is some around but NOWHERE near the quantity of the 5.56X45... Resupply could be very difficult, which has affected my consideration of the problem...

3cyl likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You can still get AK ammo in a few places.

5. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

you left out some of the most important aspects of the AR. It can be taken down to conceal it in a backpack. It can have a drop in trigger job, night scope is readily available. It can be used well with just one arm. It can be had thru the mail, with nobody knowing about it, via the 80% receiver and parts kit. It can have a chromed barrel and chamber. It has a dark, rust resistant finish. You can have any barrel length or rate of rifling twist you want. The muzzle is already threaded for use with a suppressor. A simple barrel swap lets you fire many calibers. Mounts for many devices, sights, etc can be had for it. There's a folding stock for it. If shtf, the miiitary and NG armories will be breeched. those who have the keys will not let that resource go to waste! They will be trading 223 and 9mm ammo for medicine, food, etc. So almost everyone you kill will have a 223, 9mm or .22 on their body, with ammo to match. The AR can be set up to fire any of those 3 rds.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i think AR's are over rated..... the best survival rifle is the one you have bullets for

7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

or
    SKS
    and
    Ruger Ranch Rifle

Both can easily have 20 rounds in the magazine.

Both are near bullet proof

Rounds for all occasions.

Scope if desired or not.

8. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

so, why, pray tell, would you not have ammo for your AR? Have you been stupid and not stockpiled for shtf? When you kill a few looters, they are going to have 9mm, 22lr, or 223 ammo on them and the AR can fire ll of those calibers. and a couple of compact, very lw pistols can fire 9mm and .22lr. Given a braced firing positon of cover, ambush, and hearing protection, it's perfectly feasible to take rifles from a couple of looters at a time, using a pocket 9mm.

so who says you have to stay where it's cold? avoiding bad weather is one of the main reasons to bug out. You can easily bicycle 100 miles per night, once you get used to doing so (ie, about a week) The 3200 miles of the USA has been crossed in 8 days on a bicycle, many times albeit with a vehicle support system going with them, using sedatives and amphetamines. Still, a month would suffice, hauling your supplies on the bike or towing them on a trailer.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2020
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What are you smoking? I want some.
    That said YOU might be able to perform that feat, but the average bugger outer, is going to be hard pressed for 20 miles with a BOB load out and family that has to be herded along.
    Reality HAS to supesede dreams.

10. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Ruger Mini-thirty 7.62x39 is the one I have,ammo that was bought back when cheap. Can anyone remember 1000 rds 7.62x39 for $75.00 ? I have six thirty rd mags plus two five rd ones. Good to go.
    [flag]

3cyl, Dannyboy53, Dark Wolf and 2 others like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You forgot about the bark less Chihuahua

jim2, VisuTrac, ditch witch and 2 others like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and that Tactical Wheelbarrow.... Bye the Bye, does anyone know when GunKid gets out of Federal Prison, again?

jim2, VisuTrac, ditch witch and 3 others like this.
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I think I read on another forum Davis had gotten out but was already back in. Shame 'bout that as I think in these troubled times we could all benefit from his vast expertise and method of teaching by example. :whistle:

jim2, ditch witch, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Two days...thats a record for me ignoring someone...take off "be" and replace with "asi"

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Don't do that,You'll miss the fun
    He said the trigger word,Pocket 9....He's back

Yard Dart and HK_User like this.
  16. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

the average are not going to make it. There's 10 million bicycles sold in the US every year, so anyone who wants one (or 5) for shtf can surely get one. 100 miles per night is just 8 mph and it's not hard to double that mileage on a bicycle. So you can rest half of the time, and still do it. My point is that those who 'think" they are or will be in a remote area are full of it. Any part of the lower 48 states can be reached by millions of people in a couple of days or a couple of weeks. shtf is going to be hell on earth. When the US falls the world is going to fall with it. There's never been anything even remotely close to being as bad, worldwide, as this is going to be. Before, we had animals to help with farming and non-hybrid seeds. Now we dont/wont. The animals will all have been eaten the first month of shtf, either by people or dogs and cats.

17. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

There's 8 milllon motorcycles in the US and all of them can easily carry enough gas to reach 1000 miles and it can be done in a day or 2. Stalled cars/traffic jams will not stop guys on motorcycles. You're going to find out the hard way about being out and about in daylight and making noise.

18. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

so where is it written that you have to be on foot for shtf? or that you cant have caches? Most people are going to become looters A dozen hard-asses, who learn from one guy who knows a bit, will easily be able to pin everyone down in any given spot, snipe them or burn them out at night. Nobody's going to be able to do anything in daylight for at least 6 months, without getting shot.

crowdaddy likes this.
  19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I suggest you try that in SHTF conditions.
    In this you must hit the dirt in any case of traffic and route chosen, terrain (hills), distance, road surface, and weather conditions, riding into a stiff wind, for example, will bring your speed down.
    Then you must add in rest stops, water breaks in that of finding water since you will carry very little water and no mention was made of load of bicycle or how many spare tires and tubes you will carry.

I have made a 50 mile cross country following power lines and traveling only at night avoiding all traffic and animals. My trip is on this site someplace, oh and good luck should you get diarrhea the second day.

Don't forget the TP, a shelter, food and a firearm or 3.

Rocky Road Lerp likes this.
  20. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

virtually nobody has the brains of a goose. The Viet Cong showed everyone how to do it. Get into holes in the ground and stay there during daylight hours. They grew rice locally, or took it from the locals. 6 months after shtf, 90% of the population will be dead. It only takes a very few hundred lbs of food to last 6 months., Anyone can pre-bury that much food. It's just a couple of 35 gallon drums. The virus caused millions of people to stock up and plenty of them will remain stocked up, cause they know what's coming out of this just printing a trillion $ a month. 20 million people are never again going to have a job.

1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki
  12. OldDude49