Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

You'll never see me, while your ranch will be obvious to anyone for miles. You're just another blowhard, shaking in your boots at the idea that there's people like me .You're stuck there, helpless, people like me can come and go at any time.

2. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

boiling doesn't remove chemicals or crud. Anyone with a brain uses a pre-filter, at least several layers of T shirt. That's too much for many to figure out tho.

3. benine

benine On Hiatus Banned

when I was 16 and a new worker on a Duroc farm, the two 50k each, 700 lb each breeding boars somehow rooted up the gates between their pens and were fighting. My 70 year old boss was 50m away and yelled at me to break them up. I went into that 20x 15 ft concrete pen and started flailing on their heads with an empty 5 gallon metal bucket. Forturnately, they ignored me. :) Jess finally arrived and we forced a wooden hurtle between them and got the pen gate back in place. Left to my own devices, I'd have shot one of them in the ear-hole with my .22lr auto pistol. I had no idea how expensive they were. Both had been state fair champions. I had never seen those 3" long tuskes when I fed them. They are hidden inside of the their jowls untile they start 'popping' them for a fight. I've had occasion, as a black belt, to kick 200 lb boars dead in the nuts with all of my power. They just buck-jump a bit, squeal and that's ALL. They are very tough. I dont consider them to be dangerous unless you're stuck in a small space with a wounded one.

duane likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

This thread is off the rails and will need to get some pruning now that the aggravator is disappeared.

5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Who needs a bike when you got a wheelbarrow?
    whoneedsabike.

duane, 3M-TA3, jim2 and 12 others like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I swear thats him or related spawn lol

duane, toydoc, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man,Thats awesome,Jump sac' ball busting hogs,That's a new sport right there !

duane and Yard Dart like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

wow, that was a lot of momma basement FPS stuff. It appears he's been released from prison. Wish they would have put an computer/internet usage ban clause as part of the parole requirements.

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

So back to the thread.
    How about an over under 22lr/20ga like the Chiappa Double Badger
    prodotti_immagini_immagine_112[1].

duane, 3cyl, Rocky Road Lerp and 7 others like this.
  10. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I have been keeping my eyes open for a .410/.22 combination gun. So far, no luck.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's already been established the roaming lone wolf type of survival strategy has a 90 to 95% die off rate for those who stick with it for a year, even in a place that doesn't really even have a winter.

12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

What a wanker !!!!!!!!!

13. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

My knowledge is limited but for me the 12 gauge is the survival gun. It has a wide variety of loads that can be used very specifically, bird loads, 00 buck or BB, slugs and then a whole bunch of pyrotechnic like stuff. It is an easy round to reload, can be done in the field, and the tools required are few. Pump action shotguns are easier to fix, have few parts, and at least for the mossberg, parts are easy to find, USUALLY.

14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

At this point the ideal survival rifle is whatever weapon you own and have ammo for.

duane, eb in oregon, Navyair and 8 others like this.
  15. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

What is the most reliable, easily repaired, accurate .22 rifle ? Am also curious about a .36 - .45 cal flintlock rifle, and maybe a longbow for long term usage. Any advice.

jim

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Very hard to beat a Winchester Model 52 for accuracy and ease of repair... Next would be a Winchester Model 69A... I own one of each... and have for over 50 years...

17. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

The reality answer to what is the best gun for anything, The one in your hand at that moment.

toydoc, eb in oregon, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  18. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

I agree. There is no firearm that's ideal for every circumstance, you can only do the best with what you have at the moment. It's hard to fight off marauding cannibals with a .22LR or a shotgun, it's hard to shoot a squirrel or small bird with a shotgun and have enough left to eat without chipping a tooth, and bagging a deer or elk with either from a distance over 10 or so yards is luck, not skill. Regardless there are multiple loadings for shotgun. The "ideal" firearm really doesn't exist IMO.

duane, 3M-TA3 and SB21 like this.
  19. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

He was a mouthy little internet troll and self deluded waste of oxygen wasn't he?

crowdaddy likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I reduced my shotgun hord during the plandemic. Sold a gun. I mean lost one in a boating accident and sold some parts, sold almost my factory buckshot and slugs.
    Sold off my hord of 22 to 12 year old 22lr ammo.
    It made sense to have lots of shot gun stuff on the east coast. In new mexico, not so much.
    22lr is still relevant in NM. But there is no dense cover to conceal where a shot came from or hills and mountains to disburse the noise. So silencers and subsonic ammo rule here.
    Sold my cheap high velocity 22LR ammo at the height of the plandemic and bought mostly subsonic and premium high velocity ammo that will be rendered subsonic out of a 4.4 inch gun.

duane likes this.
  1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki