Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

heheheh. Sometimes, we leave trash visible so those that read it can figure out why some folks get "disappeared" and see how much patience we have.

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm telling yall, 38/357 is the snizzle de swivel for the ideal survival rifle pistol combo.

STGThndr likes this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm not going to disagree with ya especially because y'all can remake the ammo with a hammer and a lee loader.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

If somebody still made a .38/.357 pump rifle I'd agree with you. I have never liked a lever action rifle as I learned to shoot a Winchester 1890 in .22WRF and it spoiled me.

duane likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Strait walled case, Has to be the easiest thing out there to reload.

duane, Tully Mars and VisuTrac like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

357 and 38 would do any thing you need out on the east coast.
    You could reload 38spl with ultra fast powders like 4 grains of nitro100nf or fill the case of a 357mag up with 20 gr H110 for a 357 rifle. 357mag chambered guns have to be able to handle both pistol and rifle primers.

duane, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Don't bet your life on that last statement. Some mfrs put out guns that are substantially stronger than others. If you insist on experimenting, do so from established bases, not someone telling you what might work.

duane, Idahoser, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well it turns out cci small rifle primers and cci magnum small pistol primers are the same. Cci has confirmed it.
    I load all my pistol ammo with rifle primers and have been for decades.
    My 1911 has burned up bricks worth of large rifle primer loaded ammo.
    Yeah some striker fired guns can't handle rifle primers. My sten is a great example.
    It fired factory ammo just fine. But when it encountered my M9 approved small rifle primer loaded ammo it choked, I had to increase the striker spring force and install a longer firing pin.
    I can always drop back down to pistol primers if that's all I can get.
    Obviously the Beretta 92 can set off small rifle primers just fine. I haven't ran bricks of rifle primers through it yet but no problems so far.

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. plumberroy

plumberroy Monkey+

I am going to go with the same answer I give when people are discussing survival knives. What ever you happen to have close. Survival situations happen when you least expect it. And there is a good chance you can't get to your survival stash. I honestly think I could feed myself with a good air rifle and a half dozen 110 conibears

10. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

My motto has long been- never get caught out with a weapon/tool you wouldn't bet yer life on... I guess that- with some reluctance, I would go with .38/357 as a "survival" rifle-pistol combo. .357 is somewhat marginal for large game here in the west, and certainly chokes when it comes to distance. Which is why I have a SKS/7.62/39 trunk rifle. I got rid of my old Marlin .357 just because of the distance factor. Others may disagree, YMMV. Wish I'd have hung on to that old Marlin just cuz, the originals are Unobtainium now..
    "Survival Knife", you say? Right now and for several decades, my old CV Trailmaster, and Ive got a few...

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

I personally, would never trade ammo.I don't want them coming back for the rest of my stuff with my bullets in his gun!. I know it's easy to say that now, having food on the table and all that other stuff, but damn;if the guy needs ammo, he sure as hell needs everything else you got. He might be nice and just go away, but now I have to stay awake every night waiting to find out. I just do not see trading ammo working out in the end.

12. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

its the one ya got and can shoot well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I used to say that too. Then I was able to get 8 to 10 cents a shot for loose packed 12 to 22 year old 22lr, $3 a shot for old factory loaded partial boxes of 44mag and 44spl during the height of the summer of firey love.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. kven

kven On Hiatus Banned

except somebody will kill you and take your stuff from you. You'd need night vision for the trapping. Being out and about in daylight will get you shot and there will be packs of starving dogs. The livestock and stored grain will be gone within a month of the power's going out (and staying out, nationwide) The game wont last another month, then the fish will be gone in another month and the cannibalism will kick in big time.

where will you get your primers and powder? I'd rather store 22lr ammo for less money, bulk, weight, and have the option of rapidfire in an autoloader.

do you really want a noisy single shot when hundreds of people are within earshot and have autoloading rifles? I dont

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2023
    Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have a lot of powder and when primers come back in going to stack cases of fiochis, as they come 12,000 to a case.
    I bought a 32lb order of a military surplus powder called cbi for loading pistols.
    I get about 1,300 shots per pound with 9mm and nearly 1,100 shots per pound with 45acp.
    Plus I have silencers. Lots of silencers.
    And developed loads that are accurate, quiet, clean burning and cycle an auto if intended for use in an auto.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. kven

kven On Hiatus Banned

who says primers are coming back? in any case, they cost as much as 22lr ammo.. At night, a silenced 22 with subsonic amo as plenty of range. An outside-lubricated bullet in you means crud was drug into the wound. You'll die of infection in a week without modern medical care. the fever and blood loss will render you worthless in a day or so. I used an artists brush and model airplance "dope" to seal up the bullet/case interface with my 60 gr subsoic 22 Aquila ammo. In 10 years of shtf, you wont survive needing to fire 200 rds of centefire rifle ammo, 50 rds of centerfire pistol ammo. or 500 rds of .22lr subsonics There just wont be any targets and you'll be missing too much. in order to have any reasonable expectations for lasting thru that with such obviously poor skills If You have to avoid trouble There wil be packs of starving dogs, diseases will run rampant. If your worth a hoot, at least half of your shots will result in a gun and ammo to pick up and most of them are going to be 223, 9mm or 22lr.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  18. kven

kven On Hiatus Banned

nobody['s seeing anyone that has brains enough to move at night. You'll have to be out and about with the livestock, so you'l get shot and there wont be a damned thing that you can do about it. Anyone who wanted to could just shoot your livestock in the guts at in the early am and you'd feel obliged to put them out of their misery and try to preserve that meat So your dumb ass would be out and about in daylight, looking for a dug in sniper. who could easily have moved 10 miles away and who can wait to return next week You're kidding yourself to "think' you can prevent stuff Your animals are just noisy bait

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I heard dumb asses saying that ammo wasn't coming back either.
    Plus primers are already back, I can buy all the 209 primers I could ever want right now. But I still have a case of 209s I haven't touched from late 2018 early 2019.
    I have multiple suppressed 22lr rifles and use them at night. I have already done all the stuff you are thinking about, probably 20 years ago.
    If you think you can go however many years with 200 rounds of centerfire ammo and 500 rounds of rimfire ammo good for you.
    I'll use a drone to find and drop a 60mm mortar on any hostiles. Or round up a posse with dogs, drones, indirect fire weapons. You think so singularly and 2 dimensionally, just because that's what you would do does mean that's what everyone else is going to do.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Lead Styphanate is not all that hard to make, just like it’s earlier predecessors, Lead Azide, and Mercury Fulminate.. Primary Energetics are just the beginning of the NitroOrganic Class of compounds that can be used in SHTF Ammunition…

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki