Ideal Survival Rifle

Discussion in 'Survival Articles' started by survivalmonkey, Aug 26, 2005.

1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

When suppressed, the cycling of the action becomes the tell.
    5.56 NATO is a .22 Caliber (ie .223 Remington) and being a center fire it can be readily reloaded and has proven itself in CQB and accuracy competitions out to 600 yards. I won't bother to trouble you with how many times I've have had to drag a rim fire to the DUD CAN in competitions, but there is a reason that every Armed Force has moved to center fire ammunition.

About the "Goose scenario", subsonic 9 mm out of a "Hush Puppy" (S&W 39 Suppressed) seemed to work well taking out those feathery sentries. LOL Back on the farm we used to just grab one and ring thier neck if they were going to be dinner.

The Navy's Mk 22 'Hush puppy' Pistol - Guns.com

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

What I meant to point out is, you are not accounting for the cost, upkeep, or background stuff that are REQUIRED to make your "ideal" rifle. Not arguing that they do not help, but you HAVE to add that as a factor.

M118LR likes this.
  3. M118LR

There are places to skimp, (be frugal) and then there tools that must be able to defend lives. (Your own & others.) When it comes to the "Ideal Survival Rifle" this would be the one tool that frugality might not be the best taskmaster.

Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I agree, but sometimes you just don't have suppressor money in the budget.

M118LR likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hopefully the Hearing Protection Act will pass, and the price will drop like a stone, or, You can build one, yourself...

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Worst case scenario, put the materials aside,
    and know how to do it in a pinch, so after the SHTF in a few moments your set.

oldawg and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

EXACTLY. PSHTF all bets are off.
    We talk of knowledge or our brain being the most important weapon PSHTF. Nothing says a person shouldn't gather all the knowledge they can beforehand. There are a gazillon places a person can gather such knowledge on the interweb or in books.

I'm a member here:
    SilencerTalk - Index page

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and M118LR like this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We eliminated duds by not stocking cheap ammo. I did all the tests , froze the guns, soaked the rounds etc. I also have two AR-15 RIFLES. Neither will be a better choice for small game. They do too much damage to the animals. And for Axes are better? Accuracy is not even close. .22 wins for all small game needs. Here where I am I dont need any other rifle to feed us. I have the others because they are best served for defense. I dont need just one gun. I have them all. I have stated this over and over and over and over. There is no one gun does it all super rifle. If I have a dud hunting a goose in my yard oh well , lol. I just chamber another round. The cheapest round on the planet. I have three lifetimes worth of .22 ammo stored in air tight ammo cans with desicants. They will be good after my son dies.

It has nothing to do with being frugal. It is a numbers game. Amount of cash converted to number of viable rounds. If I had to buy 5.56 even just brass,powder ,primers and bullets I would have spent 10 times what I spent on .22 ammo. I stacked it deep for hunting. Not fighting. Even if I had a dud for every 50 rounds I would still have enough to shoot once every day for more than 40 years. I also have several thousand 5.56 and closing on a thousand 30-06 and near 500 shotgun. I have repair kits, firing pins , oil, cleaning kits and that is also stacked deep. And yes we have two bows and about 40 bolts and montec broadheads which can be sharpened. But none of this is as important as the two 981-T bolt action .22 rifles for food taking. The crossbow is louder than the .22 , A slingshot is louder than my .22 . THOSE SILLY FACTS. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

ALSO WHY WASTE GOOD 9MM AMMO on small game????????? I mean I can head shoot Chip Munks with the 981-T rifle at 20 yards. shooting the CCI quiets or CB shorts. Cycling action is moot as this is a bolt action rifle. Geese here are wild. Not going to be grabbing them ha ha ha .

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I postulate ( like that word ?)
    That game will become so wary, like parrey dogs even the ground squirrels here know the sight of me and scamper away when the see me. ( it was bad enough steeling the chickens food ), I put up with those shenanigans, but when they went to steeling eggs, I draw the line. we became fierce enemies . I started shooting at them and they started keeping their distance if they saw me.
    The rats I've had to deal with don't fall for the usual traps now , I have to become creative and change up the program regularly .
    What I'm saying is animals will get smarter, so in the beginning, sling shots and snares might work for a while, but distance will soon be the problem.

11. M118LR

I wonder how many caches are still rotting away at Chernobyl, or washed away by tsunami, burned up in forest fires, or sunken in the root cellar of the farms near the Mississippi River. It's irrelevant, the best thing that can be done when the conditions in your AO are unsuitable for life is to travel to better conditions. Usually it's with what you can carry on your back. It isn't the disaster you plan for that turns you into a refugee, it's the one that's completely unexpected which makes you nomadic. Specialty tools are wonderful when they are not cargo. If push comes to shove, every item packed on your back will be there due to it's utilitarian purpose. That will be the time when you Truly determine what the "Ideal Survival Rifle" needs to be. Carry enough stuff and the "Survival Rifle" might not be included.

I've yanked the bolt, snapped off the ALICE gear, and beat feet with nothing more than the gear on my duty belt before. I'm still here, so it's survivable. Depending on the circumstances, it might become your best option. JMHO.

Tully Mars likes this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Has anybody brought up the Springfield m6? The m6 was a true survival rifle from the start. A 410-.22 would be all you needed for food (410) and defense (.22 long rifle). Does not take up much room and can be broke down for easy carrying. At one time you could also get it in 410-.22 hornet,that would be really nice.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Chiappa is currently making a version in 12 or 20 gauge, .22LR, .22 MAg, or .17 HMR that float

14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

.410 rounds cost more than any other shotgun rounds except maybe for the rare 28 gauge . bulky etc. Already bugged out to an area far from any possible nuke strike. Also the wife is crippled. So Im not leaving her and am banking on our place being more of a destination than a place to run from. I looked hard at every caliber and configuration out there. If I had to run? my wife would be dead. Land over run by gangs and or such I would take the Anderson build Ar-15 with 300 rounds and both .22 pistols with as many rounds for them as I could carry. I might even try and carry the .22 rifle in a scabbard on my back. Weight is key. Need water, filter straws, food bars fire starter, extra socks, good boots, map, compass, knife, vitamins, med kit, poncho etc. I will always say bugging out is a fools errand.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Respectfully disagree.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity."-Gen George S. Patton,Jr

Some folks will have no option but to bug out, hopefully to their BOL.
    You live in your BIL as do I-lucky us. Most folks aren't that fortunate. ANY BIL can and will be over run with enough opposing force. Then what? You either decide beforehand to die in place or you make plans beforehand to bug out, regroup and hopefully live to retake your place. Every fire base I've ever been told about had/has plans for personnel to bug out if over run. If a modern military with all their resources still have a bug out plan in place for FOB's I think it behooves the prepper to as well.
    My[2c]

arleigh, Yard Dart, techsar and 3 others like this.
  16. M118LR

frog & crane.
    Listen to Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. Improvise, adapt, & overcome.
    Perhaps hopping from one to the other of the multitude of small islands in the Great Lakes chain would be more prudent than being found atop a pile of spent casings?

Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Bugging out is almost certain death. Scenarios beyond your control around every corner. Bugging out to a predetermined place is not what Im talking about. I'm talking about hitting the road with What you can carry and hoping you find somewhere to go. The only bug out plan we have is by truck and trailer. My wife cant walk so if the truck or the jeep or the quad cant get it done we die here.

oil pan 4 likes this.
  18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

In a bug out from your BOL.... I would consider it more of a tactical withdraw to regroup..... and then re-take your BOL after they leave or you have regrouped your manpower/supplies... ;)

M118LR and Tully Mars like this.
  19. M118LR

The biggest reason for bugging out is that you have lost control of the predetermined scenario you envisioned and over prepared for. The best laid plans of mice & men sort of speak. No matter how well prepared you believe you are, somebody is going to find the chink in your armor and press the attack. This you can rely on. JMHO.

Brokor likes this.
  20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Then there's this: Rebel Silencers | By Vets • For Patriots
    Assuming you're going to obey all laws, naturally.

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  1. fl4848
  2. stg58
  3. BTPost
  4. BTPost
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. OldDude49
  9. HK_User
  10. oldman11
  11. Ura-Ki