Idea's in the Green Patch and other TV shows.

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by duane, Nov 13, 2018.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

I was recently looking thru the net and came across a PBS garden show on growing food in the city of Sparta Miss. For all practical purposes the SHTF there with the end of the cotton industry. While the program has the usual PBS kumbya and leftest biases, it does in a very practical way show how at least in that climate, take some small pieces of land, back yards and empty lots, and using no till raised beds, compost, and drip irrigation, grow large amounts of food. They have continued the process with greenhouses and hoop houses, but the basic concept, poor soil, not digging up the weed seeds, etc, compost to support the plant, feed it, and hold the water, and drip irrigation, would make a small amount of land supply a lot of food, including food for storage. I am going to place a link here. Good stuff is about 10 or so min in. I would like anyone who has seen a really exceptional video on gardening or food preservation to do the same in this thread. Might develop into something interesting. www.growingagreenerworld.com/episode-812-the-spark-in-sparta

While it doesn't go to a lot of detail, it is a picture of what can be done, use newspapers for paths, a couple bags of compost, and a small drip system and try it! He did and the scale of it got totally away from him and changed his life and others. May the Lord do the same with you.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

I have used this companies tubing benders to build both 4 ft wide cold frames using 1 in electrical conduit and 12 ft wide high tunnels using chain link fence rail. They have put a lot of time and effort into their product. It is best to follow their instructions closely. A simple thing like not putting spacers on the table you bend the hoops on, will give you some beautiful cork screws for Jack's giant. I usually use the inner layer of plastic from my green house when I recover it for the hoop houses or beg it off others that are recovering. I haven't tried bigger than 12 ft, I have a 20 by 48 greenhouse, so use the small ones as hoop houses and with insect netting to protect plants from bugs and birds. They have a lot of stuff, a lot of information, and it is a pleasant way to spend a rainy day. www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/hightunnelvideos.aspx Not suggesting you buy anything, but it opens up a lot of ideas that are far better than the use of pvc pipe.

GrayGhost, Dunerunner and techsar like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's a nice film clip...a little short on method and technique, but that is not the aim of the film clip...which is to show what can be achieved, and to inspire others to do the same thing in their communities. There are no shortage of resources that can show the nitty gritty of no dig gardening, composting, drip irrigation etc etc....sometimes it takes a film like this to plant seeds in people's minds to do something themselves, knowing that it has been done before, by others....successfully.

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I didn't watch the video , but using mulch and straw , no till gardening , sounds like the Ruth Stout method . I'm thinking of trying it out this spring. There's videos of her method on youtube . It looks like an easy method .

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

What I wouldn't give for a climate and more seasons other than Winter and Spring.

SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I can ship you some rocks and heat!

GrayGhost likes this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

[LMAO] yea... The other side of the coin.

oldman11 and GrayGhost like this.
  8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Don't forget some mesquite for shade.

GrayGhost likes this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup they also import Mesquite in Hawaii for the desert areas. Of course if it cools of a bit you could gather round the old fire pit.

10. duane

duane Monkey+++

Square foot gardening in Journey to forever website. A very basic introduction to sq ft gardening aimed at the poor in the 3 rd world, the conditions we would face if the SHTF, especially if it is an economic melt down. Has references there to a complete line of development tools, bio diesel, solar ovens, etc. Ignore the far left liberal leaning nature of the site, if you start looking at their resources I doubt that you will be there less than an hour, unless the liberal tone makes you ill. Just the information that the materials for gardening at the big box stores is peat moss, semi composted ground up wood waste from the sawmill and last tornado or hurricane, would make it worth looking at.

journeytoforever.org/garden_sqft.html Don't know how to make this work, will someone fix it so it becomes a link

11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

You gotta have some mesquite to smoke the meat that sit on the plate with the veggies you grow!

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7