iDen/ISm Secure Comms.... UpDate...

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Mar 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I have been following this thread w/ interest. Two i355s, 2 headsets (earbuds w/ mic), 2 chargers, 2 more batteries, a 12v car charger, and 5 (why 5? dunno but the chap sent 5) NNNTN5539A antennae. I downloaded the Mot. manual & read it, and watched the videos on the previously mentioned HAM RADIO NATION net site. Changing out the antennas was easy but I am still stumped about getting setup into Direct Talk mode. These i355s came w/ SIM cards in & the phones correctly see that there is "no service".
    Will try again tomorrow when not so tired. Printed out Bruce's list...... I am excited about this so DW & I can have secure comms here & about!
    GB

BTPost likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you need help SKYPE me tomorrow, and I will walk you thru the Setup...

3. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

That's GREAT! You are still my idle, er sorry Idol!! :p
    GB

4. Bamajosh

Bamajosh Monkey

Just wondering how the Inductive Coupler worked on the i560. Did it make a difference? Were you able to purchase Wilson amp? If so, what kind of additional range were you able to get?

5. BTPost

Haven't had a chance t try it out.... No one around to test with, till the summer folks show up in a month...

6. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

Got a set of 6 off ebay and after a short wait while they charged over night I got them talking in DT. Thanks for all the info BT!

7. BTPost

You are entirely Welcome.... and FYI... MonkeyNet uses Ch 5, Code 5 as a common Setup, when making Blind Comms Connections with other Monkeys....

8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I like these and now have 10 of them but I did recently come across a modest vulnerability. Harris (a significant defense contractor) has two products that allegedly can intercept and track iDen communications.

Secrets of FBI Smartphone Surveillance Tool Revealed in Court Fight | Threat Level | Wired.com

Key paragraph from the Wired article.
    "Although a number of companies make stingrays, including Verint, View Systems, Altron, NeoSoft, MMI, Ability, and Meganet, the Harris line of cell site emulators are the only ones that are compatible with CDMA2000-based devices. Others can track GSM/UMTS-based communications, but the Harris emulators can track CDMA2000, GSM and iDEN devices, as well as UMTS. The Harris StingRay and KingFish devices can also support three different communication standards simultaneously, without having to be reconfigured."

Moral of the story, like with all communication devices, use them as if somebody may be listening.

AT

9. BTPost

Not a real issue, in that iDen is the Cellular Network Topology, and NOT the DirecTalk emissions.....

10. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

@BTPost @Airtime Ok, I ordered two i355, should be here within a week. I'll need some advice to get the most out of the features. I'll get more as I get them figured out.

11. BTPost

Ok, I am around when your ready...

12. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

My i355s started coming in. I found this website Nextel i355 Radio Accessories with headsets ranging from listen only, surveillance ear pieces to single/double muff headphones with boom or throat microphones.

13. BTPost

Nice... Thanks Post that to the Blog, Please....

14. WhiteRook

WhiteRook Monkey

I just got some i560s - been trying to follow the instructions to get them talking to one another. They will communicate between one another when set to the same ch/code. But the unit to unit doesnt seem to work. I get a service not available error when I try to select the contact and press the PTT button. If I enter the number directly into the keypad it gives me a user not available error. Thinking maybe the sim cards are bad? They didnt come with the phones - I repurposed them out of a couple really trashed i355s.

15. BTPost

Ok, first you need to program in the 10 digit Private Codes, in BOTH Phones..... It goes into Line 1 in the "My Information" Screen... Then when you are in DirecTalk Mode you just enter in the 10 digit Private Code for the other Phone and hit the PTT.... If the second Phone is in Range, AND using the SAME channel as the First, then you will get a Lock-Up and it will display the Private Code of the First Phone. Did you download the Motorola Operators Manual for the Phone? It is available from the Motorola Website. If you still have isues, PM Me and I will help you out...

Airtime, kellory and Silversnake like this.
  16. Bamajosh

Bamajosh Monkey

If the GPS is turned off in the phones, is it possible for the GPS function to be remotely turned back on? Also, what kind of solar chargers would you guys reccomend to be able to recharge these phone batteries in the field?

17. BTPost

Not that I am aware of, especially if you are NOT on a Nextel Network, and in DirecTalk Mode. Since the AC Charger's Output is 5Vdc, ANY Solar USB Charger will work, or ANY USB Port will charge the Unit. If you are using a USB Data Cable, be aware that some are Data ONLY, and do NOT have the Charging Pin hooked up.

kellory, Falcon15 and Silversnake like this.
  18. Bamajosh

Bamajosh Monkey

Thanks BTPost.

19. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

If I am not mistaken, there needs to be some kind of software on the phone that could enable someone access to the GPS system. Additionally, without an active connection to the nationwide wireless network, which these phones would not have, there is no inbound signals going to the phone except those in the local digital network, which is, for all intents and purposes hyper secure.

VisuTrac likes this.
  1. Garand69
  2. WastedDaze
  3. Yard Dart
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. melbo
  6. Yard Dart
  7. melbo
    Resource

i355 Motorola (iDen) 2014-01-08

[ATTACH]
    Posted By: melbo, Jan 8, 2014 in category: User Manuals