iDen/ISm Secure Comms.... UpDate...

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Mar 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Can you please update the link to the secure comms thread?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Falcon15 I have fixed the URL in both the Original, ANY Falcon15's Quoted Post above....

Falcon15 likes this.
  3. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

With things being what they are I am now the secondary comms guy for my club. I am tasked with creating a comms plan and sked. I wanted to pull some information from the Blog post to relay to my club members.

4. BTPost

Bump: Update Information on SECURE Phones...........
    There is a fellow actively working on a REPEATER built from two DirecTalk Radios... He has done an extensive Reverse Engineering Job on the Units and looks to be getting close to a Workig Prototype.
    You ca see the Whole thread here: MotoTalk/Direct Talk Repeater Project ISM Band - Survivalist Forum

AmericanRedoubt1776 and kellory like this.
  5. ico135

ico135 Monkey

Got another iden direct talk set up issue. Was going to start new thread but seems to be a pretty good source of setup info in this one already. I got a couple Nextel i580's that came with Sim cards and cant get them to direct talk. They keep saying the other unit is busy. I have followed steps but must be missing something.
    Steps Taken:
    Turned on Direct Talk - Phone Restarted-Created unique name and 10 digit number(labeled other) in my info - added the other units name and number in contacts - Highlight the other phone in contacts and hit DT button - Get other unit busy error.

Thanks in advance for any help and really cool idea about repeater..

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

@BTPost
    Is there any way to use sync cables to communicate pc to pc over iDen?
    Not sure what communication application would support but seems like it might be useful

7. BTPost

@melbo I wish.... but NO, that isn't one of the functions that these will do..... HOWEVER.... See this.... A very Interesting NEW Product, for SECURE Comms......

This WILL do that really well, for a distance of 3-5 miles, via VHF Freqs (152-154Mhz MURS Freqs) as long as the PCs have BlueTooth connectivity....

Moderator Note: I moved the information on the New Device, to the thread, listed above, in keeping this thread, for the IDen/ISM SECURE Phones. Please use the other thread for the BlueTooth/VHF Hardware.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Brokor likes this.
  8. bumpshadow

bumpshadow Monkey

sorry to necro post, but does anyone have any experience with the i335 models?

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Motorola i335
    Just ask what you need to know, I am certain somebody here can assist you or point you in the right direction. If your question is, "are they iDen capable?" the answer is yes.

ghrit likes this.
  10. bumpshadow

bumpshadow Monkey

Can anyone tell me about experiments done with these phones? Has anyone tested ways to extend the range beyond a rubber ducky antenna? do these phone mesh at all? Phones acting as bridges to other phones, that sort of thing.

11. BTPost

As is, they do NOT "Mesh".... There was some messing around with two units wired "Back to Back" making a Repeater, a few years ago.... NO special Duplexers are required, as these are Spread Spectrum, Frequency Hopping Units, and Antenna separation is all that is really required.

If you are a Ham Radio Operator, it is legal to add an external High Gain Antenna, and boost the Power Output to 10 Watts. via an external Amplifier, as these units operate in the 902-928 Mhz ISM Band, as an unlicensed Part 15 Device. This is also a Licensed Ham Radio Band, as a Secondary Licensed User, and there are specific Rules in Part 97. for Spread Spectrum, Frequency Hopping Transmitters.

12. bumpshadow

bumpshadow Monkey

Ok, good to know. Thanks. Anyone tried sending data through them? Like hook a few up to TNC's or something?

13. BTPost

Not part of the Firmware, Sorry... Way to old of design...

14. bumpshadow

bumpshadow Monkey

Alright, good to know too. So, no repeater or towers or anything like that. And no success with data. That does make me wonder, If IDEN is old news, what is new news in this area? Beartooth? Hamnet?

15. BTPost

As soon as BearTooth becomes more than Vaporware.... It will be a good tool.... I have had two on order, since the first day... Once here, I will do an Evaluation and post MY Results....

Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

They are what, only 2 years later at this point?

17. bumpshadow

bumpshadow Monkey

Has anyone tried to build a gsm tower for these phones? I understand the repeater idea didn't pan out, but these are GSM phones, right? It can be done, EXAMPLE, Example. Or is it too impractical/illegal? If anyone wants to try, I'm open to help collaborate. Granted the code is far beyond me, but I know my way around a soldering iron and have lots of free time/

IDK, thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  18. BTPost

These are NOT GSM Phones when in DirecTalk Mode.... They are Spread Spectrum Frequency Hopping Digital Phones... that are using a totally different ChipSet, when in this mode from the Cellular ChipSet, when in Cellular Mode... It takes a completely different set of Firmware, written from scratch, to change a Cellphone over to a Cellular Base Station... Remember that the Tx and Rx Frequencies are REVERSED in the Base Station, and the complete ENI/IMNS Firmware of a Base Station would need to be reverse Engineered, unless you happen to have a copy of the Cellular Base Station Source Code, which is Highly Proprietary, and held very close, by the OEM Manufactures. This would also mean you will have to have Reverse Engineered the TeleCommand algorythems, Channel Switching, and HandOff Routines... That is why StingRays are so Expensive, and TOTALLY ILLEGAL, for ANYONE, but a FEDERAL AGENCY, with a SPECIFIC Authorization from the Office of Science & Technology, (Whitehouse) to operate, inside the United States of America..... OR a Licensed Cellular Provider, operating inside their Licensed Service Area..

19. bumpshadow

bumpshadow Monkey

Ahhh, Ok. That makes sense. I wasn't thinking of setting up a STINGRAY, just a private network. I knew it was a complicated system to setup, but as I said the code is far beyond me. So does that mean that the IDEN phones are the best we have till something better comes along? I mean, I use alot of security measures day to day, VPN, Signal, and TOR come to mind right now. But a separate network would be nice. Hamnet shows promise, but without encryption it's very limited. Beartooth is vaporware. Bitmessage is good, and I'm looking into that, but no voice and has some issues, Example. Thank you for all the information.

BTW, your mention of STINGRAY reminded me of some detectors I've run across, Example. Example. Lastly, just now while reviewing some stuff I came across THIS. I will look into this. Serval Project

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  20. BTPost

Right now the Secure Phones are it... BearTooth will be an advance... There is a device that is similar to the BearTooth but uses the MURS VHF Band, called Go-Tenna... it doesn't have the capabilities of BearTooth, but it IS Shipping, from what I hear... not sure I am all that interested, due to limited MURS channels, and limited Digital Comms ability... At the moment I am using APRS Digital Comms, on VHF/UHF Ham Bands, with a MonkeyNet OnePad Phrase PAD... Typically this is skating on the Fine Line of Part97, but since it is local only, and there isn't an FCC Monitoring Station, within 600 miles, of where I am, I am not worried to much... I mean really, adding "1624 4724" to an APRS POsition Transmission, just doesn't really get to much attention.... My opinion, YMMV....

1. Garand69
  2. WastedDaze
  3. Yard Dart
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. melbo
  6. Yard Dart
  7. melbo
    Resource

i355 Motorola (iDen) 2014-01-08

[ATTACH]
    Posted By: melbo, Jan 8, 2014 in category: User Manuals
  8. SurvivalTech