If God is Good, Why is there Suffering?

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by Motomom34, Dec 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

We do have choices. .....

2. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

how else will we be known but by that which we choose?

BTPost likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Perhaps by that which we do not choose. ;)

Ganado likes this.
  4. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

there is that as well... but kinda a technicality... choosing to NOT do something is still making a choice...

so we are still left with... that which we choose..

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Do we see a pilpul developing here?

chelloveck likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

People choose how and whom will influence them,but their choices are still free.

BTPost likes this.
  7. chelloveck

Please explain how they are considered to be "free". Free will is not quite the same thing as freedom of choice.

Free Will Vs Free Choice

What we perceive as decision making, may actually reflect actions taken, not necessarily rationally, from a limited menu of choices. Indeed, such decision points are acted upon even before we consciously are aware of it, and capable of articulating it. Some recent Neuroscience research has suggested that free will is not be as straight forward as some theologians and philosophers might claim.

What Neuroscience Says about Free Will

Meat likes this.
  8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Both of the above articles are horsepucky pretending to be science. Free will/choice cannot be quantified...only actual behavior can be quantified.

9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

You need to remember!

This kinda "science" fits the agenda!

That of course don't make it true... bit it do fit the agenda!

lookin at it that way... well it just could lead to a "minority report" kinda thing maybe...

so is this another one of those tell a lie often enough n people start to believe thnigs?

10. chelloveck

The competing theories of free will / determinism / compatibilism represent a very old philosophical / theological debate....the exercise of "free will" manifests itself in the form of actual behavior (even if it is just a change in brain states), which can, in principle, be investigated and quantified.

I doubt that free will is as absolute as some might think.

11. chelloveck

well, simply writing it off as some kind of liberal, new world order type a-scientific conspiracy might keep some theological theories intact....is that not also a theistic agenda? que?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  12. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I'm wondering if good and evil is relatively equal across the board with the billion plus Chinese folks. I'ma start a study. Starting.......now. [afro]

chelloveck likes this.
  13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Just because horse crap is old doesn't automagically turn it into perfume.

Until you can quantify and document every single process that goes into every action one takes, these theories are just that...unproven theories based on behaviors...and in no way proof or refutation of free choice or free will.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Nothing forces me to respond to this thread, but my own choice to do so.
    I act, in the knowledge that there might be a response to my thought portrayed.
    Some one else chooses to put their thoughts in response.
    Others might have thoughts, but choose not to act at all, and move on to something they feel more attached to.
    A lot of people say they believe in God, but they never actually act on that claim .
    Jesus idea of believing is similar to that of Peter , while Jesus was walking on water Peter said , if you call me out there I'll come and he did. Peter took action and walked on the water till he took His eyes off Jesus and focused on the circumstances .
    The rest of the disciples like most christians stayed in the boat. didn't ask didn't want to.
    Those of us that take our relationship seriously know more about Gd's response in our lives than those that are cowards regarding faith in God.

15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Cause suffering is good for the soul!

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Suffering does not make the man , how he responds to suffering makes the man.
    In those God has influence there is investment.
    Do you protect your investment?
    Do you improve and invest more in that investment?
    How much do you invest in which you are not tied to?
    People with which God is not priority should not expect anything.
    God interferes in my life often, and I love it , I invite God's intervention,
    as I seek His direction in my life as well.

Motomom34, oldawg and BTPost like this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Motomom34
  4. GhostX
  5. OldDude49
  6. duane
  7. OldDude49
  8. Brokor
  9. Minuteman
  10. chelloveck
  11. Mindgrinder