If I were to carry a gun, which one(s)?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by FalconDance, May 12, 2007.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Knowing what you mean on financial restraints with no real luxeries left to cut and still keep the belly button and back bone apart, I would have to say that this would be another plus most of the time to a revolver. While you still would not do well to base the choice on just whats cheapest a lower price and/or quality revolver will still go bang every time where MOST low end autos will jam and malfunction constantly.

As far as what would be an ideal choice, I would have to say that a snub nose revolver in .357 from Taurus, Rossi, S&W, Ruger or a few other choices would be ideal and can be had pretty readily in the $300 range new or in excelent condition. Its easy to carry/conceal and you can practice with .38 special then shoot just enouph .357 so the difference in recoil and report isnt a surprise and carry .357 jacketed soft point ammo in it. I HATE .38 spl +p hollow points since the time I went over to pick up the pig at the farm where your hubby worked and shot the pig in the head 5 times with them and it stood there squeeling at me since the bullets just flattened on the skull. The .38 special would also work for carry though just get jacketed SOFT POINT rather than hollow point ammo for it. The .357 based on % from actual shooting has the highest % of one shot stops when compared shot per shot to any other calibur so is definatly reliable.

Knowing the gunshops in the area the best bet may be to head up to the city to shop and try Dennies guns in NKC or the gun shop in Claycomo. The one in Claycomo has a pretty good selection of revolvers at reasonable prices.

If you wanted to go with an auto then the Bersa Thunder .380 like I carry runs around $250 new in the box and a Kel Tec 9mm about the same size (P-11 is the model IIRC) is in the same price range and both are pretty reliable, solid guns though the 9mm would be a lot better as far as balistics and stoping power and both are VERY easy to conceal and will practicaly disapear in the pocket of a pair of jeans that arent overly tight.

If your not familiar with the diffrent makers it would also be good to take someone with you when you go shoping for a gun who is so they can steer you away from the junk that may blow up on you or malfunction and let you know if the one with a low price tag is a great buy on a quality gun.

Just my nickles worth.

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Monkeyman makes a great point. With price as an issue, an inexpensive 38/357 revolver will still be ultra reliable, whereas an inexpensive auto could be lots of problems just when you need it the most.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Makes sense to me. I have a Ruger 4" .357 that I would bet my life on. Just acquired a 1911 that I hope proves as reliable, but there is some doubt in my MT head that I'll ever get that positive with an autoloader.

4. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

A friend of mine got a CZ52 for about $150. He loves it. I almost bought one a few months ago at a gun show, but I found a Beratta 96 on the way to the booth selling the CZ...

Ammo (7.62x25) is very inexpensive. Not sure of it's stopping power, but it has excellent penetration. If I get a spare $200 I'll pick one up along with a few hundred rounds of ammo.

You can find a few in the latest Shotgun News.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Fair enough, sorry, I agree it was a troll like response, I 'm just primed by the "I need a gun what kind should i get folks who see a "gun" as some kind of mythical magical thing that wards off all evil merely by buying one or 6 or 12.

I have no right to; 'nor did I think I made an effort to analyze your psyche. I got well away from the range and the "gun thing "because of the scary folks I was running into :Who wanted A GUN, i NEED A GUN, YOU NEED A GUN.ALL GOD CHILLEN BETTER BE PACKIN...After seeing thedisturbing double rape mutilation/torture muder a few forums back, I may change alittle of My thinking, theys some unbelievably SICK CRAZY MO FO'S OUTTHERE......Now i need a gun!!

"Mea culpe
    mea culpe
    mea maxima culpe"
    I 'm sorry I did not intend to insult you and by rights you are probably far from the atypical "paniced" newbie needing a gun before shelter water or food...

Momma didn't hold me enough when i was little..
    enough...

6. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

No problem, Tango. Your original response hit a raw nerve is all - I detest being patronized, and that is how I perceived your words.

I really was just asking for a little guidance from folks who know these matters better than I - IF I were to carry, given the parameters (more comfy with a revolver, relatively concealable, slightly smaller for a female hand, budgetary restrictions), what would be a likely choice or set of choices?

Guns don't fix a problem (just like they don't shoot people). Guns may make more problems for those who are set on mischief - and that's a good thing, in my opinion. If some yahoo doesn't know whether I'm an 'easy target' or not, maybe - just maybe - he'll think twice when he meets my little friend. And if I can make him piss himself and run away, [winkthumb] .

(Not that I think anything is quite that easy, but the mental image is rather amusing.)

Besides, a .22 rifle took easy and ready care of a timber rattler a few years back, but I can't/don't want to always carry a rifle when out and about.

~Falcon

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I love to carry my Colt Woodsman when walking about. It is accurate beyond my abilities and easy to carry. Sometimes I carry a K-22 Smith or a Diamondback Colt in .22 or .38. These are my field guns, the ones I carry when I probably will meet a snake or might need to put a rabbit in the pot. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of them for defense even with the small caliber .22 or low-powered .38 because either of these is still better than a rock and I believe that I can put a bullet just about anywhere I want with one of them.

8. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Springfield Arms Stainless loaded Champ. .45 ACP, or CZ 75 4" in 9mm.

9. BAT1

SA S/S Loaded Champ bob tailed.

10. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Pardon me for being nosey but it has been a month now since this started .

Falcon have you made a purchase or selection yet ?

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[ditto]

12. BAT1

I just got a S/S loaded Champ and it is very reliable. Wheel guns are very good also. Seacamp .32 or a Springer EMP 9mm.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7