If Nuke hits in San Diego & I'm Safe in LA should I still get the Hell out Fearing What the Governme

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ED GEiN, Jun 19, 2018.

1. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Non event, remain calm there are plenty of replacement fruits and nuts to take their place.

2. ochit

ochit Monkey+

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Ed... double check the prevailing winds for fallout, remember the firestorm that will occur and if there are any winds... not pretty... any survivors will be looking for food, shelter, water, and a place to squat... that means anyone owning property in the area will be subject to a negative impact... remember the watts riot and the OJ riots... expect about 5-10 times the damage and looting... there will be no rule of law... I would not expect to be able to evacuate following the described incident...

Ganado, sec_monkey, STANGF150 and 2 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I believe if @ED GEiN left the nuke part out of his title and OP then it is a reasonably good question. If something happened in an urban area the people flee to the outskirts. Example would be with the riots a few years ago. The violence started to move into the suburban areas. So if a major event happened and survivors were coming out of the city, how far would be a safe zone from an impact area?

5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'd say the only reason to stay would be that there was no safe way to exit the area without serious risk of more radiation. Long term, that place is going to be experiencing mutations, if you take my drift.

ochit likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seems to me that taking the nuke question out leaves nothing. Now, if the question is, "What would cause someone to pull out of LA?" there might be some potential meat for discussion without some specific scenario.

sec_monkey and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I think you should go to Seattle. That's far enough north, I am sure.

ochit likes this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

NOoooooooo!!![GR]

Brokor, Zimmy, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

SanFrancisco should be far enough...

10. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Oh, I'd say about 3,000 miles? :D

Zimmy, sec_monkey and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Wouldn't that be like out of the fire, but - into the frying pan?

Zimmy, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  12. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

I agree. Let's say earthquake.....I live near SD and my plan is to head east, to the desert...yours should be too. Too hot a few months of the year, but ways around that......very little chance of marauding gangs, etc....but takes very major advance planning....

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Earthquake (already mentioned)
    Water shortage
    Electric grid down for an extended time
    Riots

If I lived there I'd have an inexpensive and reliable 4x4 SUV packed and ready to leave immediately secure in my garage. I mentioned Jeep Cherokees - the original ones. Combine that inline 6 with a stout drive train, cheap replacement parts everywhere (especially because they effectively made the exact same vehicle for many, many years), designed for easy serviceability, and you can pick one up for a few thousand bux. The turning radius is also very tight. These are very capable machines that fly under the radar.

Have a a cache set up with a friend in Nevada to resupply. You can also store arms and other California illegal things there. Anything that disrupts southern California enough to make you evacuate is likely big enough that it could be ugly elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    sec_monkey and ED GEiN like this.
  14. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thank you That was the kind of advice I was seeking (whether it was leave/not leave). That quarantine/control over you is what I fear.

From what I read they will take out San Diego because of the Navy/Military which LA does not have to that extent. Supposedly radiation won't reach the part of LA I'm in assuming the Nuke is just targeted at the Military Presence in the San Diego. At least that was the scenario I was reading about online.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Nukes are highly indiscriminate weapons, depending on the yeild and guidance etc LA is still bloody close. One would also suggest that while the military presence in SD makes it a viable target, breaking the back/will/drive of the populance will also be a significant attraction when targeting such a weapon, and pretty much anyone that hopes to his SD effectively will have more than one. You can almost assume that LA is high on a number of lists. A smaller portable weapon may have less effect on you but f’ed if I would be hanging around LA assuming all is environmentally well if one is lit off that close.

sec_monkey likes this.
  16. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ed, yes you are absolutely correct, in that San Diego will definitely be targeted especially due to the Naval presence; however, in a Nuclear conflict they will also be looking to destroy any research facilities (think Defense Industry), harbors, manufacturing, etc., etc., etc... and also they will be looking for the psychological effect of destroying major cities to include the population that could be use combat them at a future time. No, all the major cities, especially on both coastlines would go, especially if we get into a real missile slinging nuclear war. Perhaps the middle of the country might fare better but... who really knows.They are not going to open this Pandora's box halfway.

sec_monkey likes this.
  17. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

And remember, primary targets will be airports, military and civilian, from West to East to take advantage of the prevailing wind and resulting fallout. A couple air bursts may be the first to create panic from the resulting EMP, which would not severely impact military units, but it would certainly cause enough civilian disorder to warrant full red alert mode with emergency response, tying up roadways and stressing infrastructure. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Yes, the worst thing you can try to do is travel from West to East. Heading north may be a better option, then cross from the NW to the NE to avoid large mobs. Assuming you survive long enough to make it up to Oregon, the fallout should be in front of you. The Northern States are some of the most vacant there is, but the weather can be a real bitch. Watch out for zombies.

[troll]

chelloveck, Bandit99, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If it get's really ugly here it will spill over to the rest of the country ,bank on it.

3M-TA3, Asia-Off-Grid and sec_monkey like this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[touchdown]b::[dancindevil][touchdown][stirpot]

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[patr]
    Bring it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7