If TEOTWAWKI Suddenly Ends After a Few Years Will People Be Criminally Charged With Murder?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ED GEiN, Sep 30, 2018.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

This is a hypothetical for just the purpose of getting one's opinion that some people in this forum hate. Let's say hypothetically a deadly Plague/Epidemic with no cure takes over the entire World. Suddenly after 2 years with no hope in sight, a miracle cure has been discovered and distributed. Assuming that most of the people left have had to kill people to survive (self defense, home invasion, etc.) do you think after a few years after order has been restored people will be charged for crimes committed during the Epidemic? We're talking a 2 year period not a few months.

Seepalaces likes this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I think not. Unless their crimes were committed to commit a crime , hope that makes sense.
    This is just my way of thinking .

Seepalaces, Bandit99 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

In California yeah.

3cyl, Seepalaces, Oddcaliber and 5 others like this.
  4. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

If you follow 'SSS' [shoot it, shovel it, shut-up about it] then during the event looters and raiders will simply disappear. After the event when the Rule of Law is restored again, it will all be 'no harm no foul'.

On the other hand, if during the event you acted the arsehole, the town bully, [ie Liberty Valance] then locals will know what you have done and they will hate you for it. After the event when the Rule of Law is restored again, your neighbors will press charges testifying against you for those crimes. Once you have been setup to be convicted of a few known crimes, TPTB will add on to the list all of the other missing people as deaths that you were assumed to have committed. A single rape and two deaths could become convictions for multiple rapes and dozens of murders. All because you chose to openly loot, rape and pillage.

Yard Dart, john316, ED GEiN and 7 others like this.
  5. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Would anyone and everyone be brought up on charges...? No...But...

People being people. , no matter TEOWAWKI or not...I'd say some folks could be facing some court time....
    After all we have had War Crimes cases after a period of unrest or Civil War ( Speaking here of Bosnia etc.. )
    Having done a "Peacekeeping" tour in Bosnia that was surely was SHTF if not TEOWAWKI for many folks....
    Also there is the chance of charges being brought forth for personal gain or revenge whether or the not the person charged actually committed murder.
    Andy

Seepalaces, Zimmy, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

If after 2 years of WROL there is anything left, I doubt much will happen. They may have found a cure, but it will be decades, if ever, before ANYTHING gets back to "normal".

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

They are still trying people for what they did when everything went to hell in Yugoslavia in the early 90’s.
    No, people that committed major crimes against humanity will not get away with it in the long rung.
    The main exception to this rule was after the Nazi surrender. Tens of thousands of SS personnel were released in the following weeks after the Nazi surrender. They were released because we did not know the extent of the Final Soultion had done to countless millions.

Seepalaces and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yes, I believe that there will be enough folks left that you will be held accountable for your actions. Lead your life with the rules that you live by now. As for other people if they choose to turn into murders, rapists etc. they will suffer the consequences. There will always be laws/rules and there will always be people who try to enforce the law. Though after 2 years, the punishments may have changed.

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That's about what I was trying to say,,,,you just did it better ,,,:D

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think it largely depends on the criminals that establish government.

john316, Seepalaces, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

The ocean is a very deep place. Just sayin'.

Seepalaces and Oddcaliber like this.
  12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Given this country is law suite crazy, I would say that neighbor would be charging neighbor for any and all slight offences to include serious ones like if you had to shoot the neighbor's son for trying to steal from you. Granted it would be a mess but I think that would happen. I also think the punishments would increased greatly and death sentences would be extended to more crimes.

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Only time will tell. BTW I hate hypotheticals. You can say whatever you want, but ....... Come time you may be tested. I suppose that following a period of total anarchy. Taking the heads of the dead losers who forced you to kill them or die yourself, and putting those gruesome objects on fence posts at your perimeter SO as a warning, might get you before a court post hard anarchy. Oh well.

oldman11, Asia-Off-Grid and SB21 like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I know where the big gators are....... ;)

oldman11, Lancer, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  15. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I would say if you kill someone and it's not self defense, then yes, you should be charged no matter what the state of civilization is.

However, if there is a period of anarchy and then order is restored, there will likely be so many cases to investigate that they will never get to all of them. A lot of evidence will be lost, witnesses dead or in parts unknown, just too much to sift through.

There are existing examples. Every time there is disorder, crooked people take advantage of the situation. Recently, in hurricane Florence there were a few high profile arrests for looting. But there were probably also hundreds, maybe thousands, of other thefts weren't even reported. Unless the police catch someone in the act, or there is no-brainer evidence like a video recording, almost none of these crimes are ever solved.

Anarchy is anarchy in part because people do literally get away with murder. Honest people are forced to make ethical choices they would otherwise avoid.

Motomom34 and oldman11 like this.
  16. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

The system, the lawyers, the courts and the government will be in the same boat as the people. That being said it might be a good time to get rid of some bad apples.

44044, oldman11, Seawolf1090 and 2 others like this.
  17. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Before you fire up on my time frames that follow, look up the definition of "few." It MIGHT matter. Gotta wonder what you thought before you posted that. What it if were just say, 6 months? Or 5 years?
    What difference will it make to you in the city? What do YOU think (or not bothering to think?) Are you planning on killing to survive, or make yourself available as food for scavengers with any number of legs? What will be your defense if the Powers That Arise post ROL round you up and charge you?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    oldman11 likes this.
  18. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Depends on population and location. If you're at your BOL trying to protect you and yours from harm I consider it open season on looters, thives, rapist ect. In an area with a large population one has to be more discreet about taking out the trash.

oldman11 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Most of the lawyers should be dead at least.

20. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Makes you wonder. Just watching people go crazy over cell phones and how they act in traffic makes me want to be far away. I think once people start acting badly they won't be missed that much and it will blow over afterward. Except for certain cases.

oldman11 and Zimmy like this.
  1. ED GEiN
  2. ED GEiN
  3. ED GEiN
  4. john316
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. HK_User
  9. DarkLight
  10. Motomom34
  11. Yard Dart