1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

if u could buy one fixed blade knife,one axe?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by joeowens47@yahoo.com, Sep 15, 2008.

1. im wanting to buy 1 fixed blade knife ,i axe .what would yall recamend? id want to be able to count on them when needed .last a LIFE TIME ?
  2. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

talk to our local blademan. Valk. His blades are possibly the prettiest and most durable hunks of metal I have ever used. As for an axe I would go ask the local ranger post what they use for axes. up here I would ask a bush Fire fighter. depends on if the axe is gonna be for hiking or long term use.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I use an ax for serious cutting, although I do have a small trail/camp ax that stays with my truck. I prefer a double-bit with a hickory handle because I am somewhat of a traditionalist and the one I have, I don't have a clue who made it (it used to belong to my grandfather) but I still use it and my son will use it when I die. One knife? Don made me a pair of beautiful little skinners that are really handy but I think something with a bit more blade would serve general purposes better; I carry a Benchmade nimvarius most of the time.
  4. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

One of my favorites is a Bush Camp knife from Knives of Alaska (6", D2 steel). I gave that one to my first son-in-law, and now I just use a Buck Vanguard for general purpose.

My favorite hatchet is an all stainless steel Estwing

My favorite full size axe is the double bit (USA made) axes I used in the US Forest Service. They sharpened well and kept an edge. You can easily chop down a 2-3 ft. diameter tree with one of these well sharpened axes. We just used a flat file in the field to keep them sharp. My favorite used to be sold by National Fire equipment but their web page no longer shows it. Here might be a similar one, but usually a premium quality US made axe with US hickory handle will be $60 or more. Don't waste money on the cheap-ass Chinese made axes at Home Depot or Lowes. Horrible steel and blade geometry.
  5. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm having another group buy on Fighters so you might consider those and read what monkeyman has put his through. $235 gets you a 154CM knife, black Kydex w/Tek-lok and you'll be set!
  6. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Brokor likes this.
  1. itsmedave
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. H.I.S Survival

Mora knives

You've never seen a review like this guaranteed [MEDIA]
    Thread by: H.I.S Survival, Jul 16, 2016, 13 replies, in forum: Blades
  4. H.I.S Survival
  5. cbig
  6. phorisc