If you could only have one gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by clunker, Apr 30, 2017.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

My fear is that in 10 years the title of the thread will be "If only you could have one gun".

2. ochit

ochit Monkey+

The 5 gun battery 22LR, 223/5.56, 308/7.62x51, 9MM, 12GA.
    If you get off the standard cartridges there are a few issues where to resupply or how much to have.

If we consider the grabbers that say we don't want your hunting rifles which is not true, then what would we be left in my mind a shotgun and a 22lr and no pistols only long gunsand only 1 or 2 per person. As each firearm is banned for its use in a killing another will take it's place in the despicable use as a mass shooting instrument, so that one will have to go. I did notice that no one wanted to talk about ban things used in Austin, why because they can't and already have laws against such things, so we see there is nothing that can be done to stop violence or murder. The left knows this as any person with a brain or looking at Israels problems for decades.

If your not in need of a defensive weapon against dangerous animals. then consider all you need is one weapon with a handful of shells and you can leverage that into a pile of them. not that having a selection now is a bad idea but if you find you have to sell or barter people will likely want shells or a way to find more anything other than the 5 above are going to fry up quick. Although 270, 7mag and 30-06 are the most popular how many people have more than a few boxes of shells if that. prices are such that most could not acquire much, and shooters for the most part are not reloaders.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Definitely agree about the 5 gun battery. Both Mel Tappin and Boston T Party (Boston's Gun Bible) both advocate having a battery of firearms. Why limit yourself when you could have a choice? Always have a plan B!

ochit likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Plan B, C, and D.... "Three is Two, Two is One, and One is NONE"

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A 5 gun battery is fine, but what if you ARE restricted to just one? What would it be?

Tell ya what, I'd admit to having one, but the other four might be hard to find.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I do but I can those that have come late to the party need to focus on the primary calibers and if they want to play outside the lines go for it. I know too many that have gotten off track and have a safe full of junk and no mainstream calibers a friend buys for price and whats sold cheap has issues parts ammo or magazines of the price of all of these one magazine cost 70 dollars and the rifle cost less than 200.
    I see no options if we go to war and all of the ammo is bought up like a few years ago. If every bit of scrap is used to make ammo for the military and because it has not happened people so not put that into account.

Consider all those hollering that we need a new caliber for the military are in line for some big contracts or in on some other aspect to make money.
    The problem is penetration of the 5.56 of what exactly 2 pieces of tissue or 4 foot of sand ? it is meant for people not inanimate objects we have other resources for barriers and the AR platform can sport a 40MM or a 12ga. America is fascinated with new toys new gadgets and we are broke 19 trillion and just passed a 1.3 trillion dollar funding bill.
    We are playing a game of musical chairs people that do not have the basics will be screwed we have choices now so would I buy a 357 SIG caliber gun now hell no If given one I would trade it for a 9MM or one of the other calibers on my list.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Because my safe....and boat storage is overflowin......yep, it would be a hard choice ;)

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yup that is why I sold all of mine in private sales and kept the classified ad as proof. Don’t worry I only sold them to upstanding citizens that had valid Concealed carry permits.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

After a couple traumatic boating accidents I sold the others save one at a flea market in ? I did keep a single shot JC Penny 12 ga. as my "assualt" weapon. I guess I should get some shells for it though. Would #9 bird shot be an acceptable round for my "battle rifle"?

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One gun for grey squirrels,
    one gun for red squirrels ,
    one gun for ground squirrels ,
    one for bob cats,
    one for mountain loins,
    one gun for doves,
    one gun for pheasants,
    one gun for turkeys,
    one for sheep,
    one for goats,
    one for deer,
    one for moose,
    one for caribou,
    one for black bear,
    one for brown bear,
    one for grizzly bear,
    one for home protection at the back door,
    one for home protection at the front door ,
    one for home protection in the bed room,
    one for home protection in the dinning room ,
    one for home protection in the shop,
    one for home protection in the backyard,
    one for CCW ,
    one for the range,
    one for plinking in the woods,
    one for engaging enemies foreign and domestic.
    and one more just for because .
    If you don't know what a gun is for, you don't understand why a mechanic has so many tools, or a doctor has so many instruments, or the function of anything requiring intellect.
    Do you use a salad fork for changing a tire ? it's a tool . but not the proper tool .
    Do you keep a spare tire in the vehicle you drive ? why ?
    To them who's life means more, they have more than one spare, knowing that there is a possibility of having more than one flat on a trip . Not all gas stations are service stations and not all service stations carry every tire made.
    If one only fanaticizes over getting from point A to point B with out pondering the potential challenges getting there, they have no grasp of reality .
    If you think taking guns away or reducing them will alter crime your living in a fantasy . it merely makes more victims, empowering more criminals .
    Because impressionable children are being manipulated by liberal democrats, does not justify their cause . Children do not comprehend the consequences liberals are hoping for , their enslavement .

11. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

An AR15. All purpose and inexpensive.

12. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Any good Lever Action rifle......Holds 10 rounds, easy and fairly quick to reload (unless you're in a firefight, I guess), pretty accurate out to 100 yds or so.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7