If you had to choose one Fixed blade for survival

Discussion in 'Blades' started by melbo, Feb 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I too like the machete. I have a 1' Ontario machete that has gone on numerous trips with me. I think the machete has many advantages over an ax or a hatchet... weight, ease of use, efficiency. They are great for cutting through green wood in the summer time. I prefer the 1' length for ease of packing.

My wife recently borrowed one of these from her father when we went on a little squirrel hunting trip in S. FL. It's made by Condor Knife and Tool. I was pretty impressed by it.
    [​IMG]
    Condor Tool & Knife

2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Condor is the premium section of Imacasa... so you've got some of the best of the Imacasa brand... good choice...
    I've been asked several times and nowadays its always a machete... even when a full time trapper asked me... that's the answer I gave... stopped him in his "tracks"... but made him pause and he agreed...
    I like the Martindale's because they are tapered and bulletproof... ordered a bunch of them to rehandle them and profile a bit...
    Tramontina also makes a good machete...
    Even the 12" is really handy but its a bit small to me... but that's just me...
    The right sheath can take care of a number of carry options....
    Lots you can do with a machete... at the right price... with a good sheath... you can carry one in the car or in your gear... and I don't think you will ever regret it... its also a pretty good visual deterrent... unless the other person has a gun... but that's a whole other debate....:D
    Good Choice IMHO....

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

My neighbor bought 2 different Condor knives....
    1 looks like a spear, and the other like a hammer, but razor sharp!
    Nice for the $40 each he paid for them....

4. Bear

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Cool Bear. If my slow Haji connection will ever load I will watch the video. I don't why more people don't like machetes. I kind of grew up with them. I've had the 1' Ontario since I was about 14. My buddy had a Colombian machete that he kept razor sharp. It always held an edge and never chipped.

We, as European descendants, are so ax oriented. Yet, most of the rest of the world population prefer the machete (think Africa or S. America). It really is an overlooked tool.

[beer]

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thanx, Bear. I have an 18" Ontario with D handle that is going to get some of those mods. It has the saw back which is kinda useless since the teeth don't have a set, so they might get a hit with the bench grinder for part of the length.

Like the man says, it hasn't a lot of use in hardwoods, but I am a machete fan for use in small stuff, hard or soft.

If I have to chose machete or ax for the BOB, I'll go with a 3/4 axe. Come time for shelter constructs, I keep thinking heavier than an inch or so is better, and an axe will deal with stuff that size more readily, hard or soft.

7. Bear

Its a good video and he has more that shows you how he does it with simple tools like a file and sandpaper...

Functionally... I think a machete is one of those tools you can't beat for survival... definitely worth researching and considering... for the price... anyone can at least try it out...

Like any tool... you need to set it up right... and know how to use it....

In the video I think he is using and prefers ontario machetes for North America because it it thicker... but I'm old and I have a failing memorymaddd

lots of hard woods... South America a thinner blade is fine...

Machetes are softer steel for a reason... meant to cut "soft" materials... ease of sharpening ... etc.... also why the edge doesn't chip as easily... nice feature most don't think about...

Yup... when you look at alot of other areas of the world... especially third world compared to us... all they rely on is some form of a machete type tool...

I really like them... in all lengths actually... depending on what its used for...

When you think about it... alot of the mountain men relied on knives that were relatively thin and of a butcher pattern... its interesting when you actually read and study what people who depend on and live off their tools... actually use... or used...

Can't beat the cost... but regardless of the cost... the most inexpensive or expensive tool will do you no good if its not the right tool for the job and you don't know how to get the most out of it...

Yes its a bit bigger than most want to carry... and that is definitely important... no tool is gonna help if you just don't wanna carry it.... but thinking about the all the uses and the way you can set it up ... its a "multi-tool" worth considering and maybe setting up and sheathing so its easier to take along....

Based on the title of this thread... do your own research, use your common and practical sense, think about what you will actually use it for, pick the tool that is right for you, set it up right, practice with it, and make it your own... like an extension of your arm .... more importantly, make it an extension of that the number one important tool between your ears....

Again.. JMHO... [winkthumb]

8. Bear

Yuppers... can't beat an axe for those chores...
    There's some neat modifications for those as well.... but that's another story...
    I like good old american made (gotta support our own)... but I admit to having an wetterlings...

Picked up a bunch of small hatchet blanks to fool around with and make quick projects out of... not my idea of a single tool for survival type ... but good for fooling around...

I like axes too:D

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ontario uses 1095 steel. One more reason to keep it out of the hardwoods, and by all means have a file with you. (That said, I've put serviceable edges on soft steel blades with flat rocks from stream beds. Simple tools indeed --)

10. Bear

1095 is a inexpensive high carbon steel... alot of companies use it ... keeps the price down ... but it likes rust...

There are definitely better steels for edge holding and rust resistance...

Then again.. rust can be your friend... it screams "Take Care of me or I'm gonna turn ugly and useless to you".... hmmmmm... kinda like other things or people... but that's a whole other discussion...

I actually like it for other reasons.... I like to heat treat my own tools and it's readily available...

Yeah... soft steel ... not good for hardwoods... but at least it doesn't chip and you can always sharpen it ... even if you don't have a file....

I've come to like "Simple" in my old age.... you can beat the crap out it... wear it out and use it up... knowing that you can go get another... or that there's a spare somewhere in that mess called the garage... hope that's not a bad sign...[lolol]

11. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Can someone help me find a quality Axe?

My Home Depot version is the equivalent of a brick on the end of a stick.

I saw a show on those lumberjack competitions. Apparently they pay up to $1000 for a competition grade axe.

Don't want to go that crazy, but maybe something that can actually do something useful like chop something - maybe even wood!

Need a good bowsaw too.

12. Bear

Hope this helps... those competition axes are awesome!

Council Tool... I like these.... Made in USA... Affordable... good stuff[applaud]
    Council Tool, American-made Premier Striking Tools and Drop Forgings - home

Wetterlings... Sweden (some rumors made elsewhere depending on model) .. pricey... still good stuff...
    WETTERLINGS

Some idea of prices
    Results for Axes:Wetterlings

Gransfors Bruks... Made in Sweden... not so affordable to outrageous... awesome stuff....[applaud]
    Gränsfors Bruks AB

Some idea of prices...
    Gransfors Bruks: Sage Creek Outfitters

Hope that helps... bowsaw... you're on your own on that one... too many options and depends on what you want it to do and if its a pack thing or shop thing...[boozingbuddies]

Again... JMHO

13. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Good Stuff. Thx.

14. Bear

Yer welcome... [boozingbuddies]

15. boisepatriot

boisepatriot Monkey+

It depends. Are you surviving or making a home somewhere. If you are carrying what you use and surviving, most of the tools above are just going to get left on the trail by you after about ten miles, and will be therefore, useless. For surviving, a mid-sized knife of hard (59+) steel with a very comfortable grip and a thick blade is what you need. Fahlkniven makes a few, and I bought one last year and love it. Light, durable, great edge holding, and actually useful for almost anything you need to "survive." Becker's Companion is another truly great knife with a little lower quality steel, but built like a tank, if you change the grips to the micarta ones available on Ebay and file them to size. The plastic ones they come with are junk, but the design of the knife for cutting, battoning, chopping, etc. is solid and hard to improve. Actually, one night I sat down and drew plans for my ideal "survival" knife." Other than its inferior steel compared to the Fahlknivens, and its crappy handle, I realized after about ten versions that I had drawn something pretty close to the Becker Companion. I like thick blades (.20 to .25 inches) if I'm going to put it through the abuse of "survival." Ontario Rangers are good, if you get the thicker bladed ones. Some are thinner. For "survival," I want a blade that won't break, and I'll sacrifice a little heaviness for that. The Ontario or other company's Rat 3, 4, and 5 are great knives, but the factory edge is sloppy. Convex edges are more durable, in my opinion, which is why I really love my Fahlkniven. Also, convex edges require hand working and attention to detail, which tends to make for a higher quality knife. If you think a convex edge can't be made sharp enough, try a straight razor some time, or my Fahlkniven. Both shave pretty well and don't chip like a straight edge blade. There are others. Actually, the Gerber knife is pretty well made and has a wonderful grip for the money ($80.00). Still, once you shell out the $$ for a really great knife with hard steel and a convex edge, you will probably never be able to use another knife for serious use. It's night and day. For living somewhere, you had better have a very high quality axe with a handle that you can replace yourself, aka wood or wood-replaceable, using of course, your smaller survival knife to hone it to shape. Stay away from "cool" knives. They are useless, unless you want to impress 12 year olds. A one-piece tang and good grip are essential. In the end, though, the best "survival" knife is the one you will carry with you comfortably, and not leave somewhere because it is too heavy, too dull, or too poorly designed. I like serrated edges, but I wouldn't want to use one for survival because I wouldn't want to have to keep it sharp. Just my ideas, after about 40 years of walking in the mountains without much to rely on but myself and what I could carry.

16. HotWire

HotWire Monkey+

17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I'd probably pick an Old Hickory Butcher knife. Does a bit of anything from screw-driver to butchering and throws pretty good too.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I have to leave machete's alone...at least that's what the doctor advised me up in Denver...1973/74-ish....
    Tried to trim a broken, low hanging branch, off a pine tree in the back yard (I lived on a mountain then)
    It ricocheted off that limb and I had to tie off my right leg with my belt....took a few stitches to close up the slash!
    Weirdest part: it never cut thru my levi's....it hit the shin bone, causing the flesh to split!
    Ouch!
    Now, I only pick on things like whipped cream, mashed potatoes, and fresh marshmallows,....!

19. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

OUCH!! Yeah, I'd say you better leave em' alone. I had a few close calls chopping downward. One time I put a nice gash in my boot. Didn't touch toes but I was a bit more careful after that. Beware sharp objects when tired.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

IF there were such a "critter" ever made or devised....
    I'd like a knife that has good heft, nice balance, with about a 1/4 thick blade, maybe 12 inches in length,? With a nice "soft" type of handle like the "condor" types...and have not only a decent hilt, but a back made like or from: a metal cutting blade such as an industrial bandsaw, but heavier in gauge, to cut thru almost anything I'd come across! That's my personal idea of a survival knife!
    Say in a rockwell 54-56 hardness ? Not in stainless though, too hard to sharpen and keep a fine edge ( for me anyhow!).
    Maybe a knife made from a condor setup originally, with say: a 'doubled' saw blade attached ( welded) ?
    I'd go for that!
    Nothing fancy, or pretty,..... just "industrial strength"!

1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hitchcock4
  9. john316
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid