If you had to choose one Fixed blade for survival

Discussion in 'Blades' started by melbo, Feb 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I was cutting brush with a machete several years back and my hand hit some thorns on a vine. I released my grip and the machete few about thirty feet and stuck in my girlfriend's buttock. It required numerous stitches and lots of questions. Despite the wicked scar, I was glad it didn't hit her spine or any vital organ; it could well have been much worse.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

OMG! That's worse than me chopping on my own leg!
    OUCH! That had to hurt, BIG TIME!
    And then, I have seen some people, ( x-wife), cut themselves on ice and even picking fresh asparagus!
    Never did figure that one out, but it took stitches to close up her hand!

3. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

60 year old Finnish Leuku with an 8" blade.

[​IMG]

4. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

[​IMG]
    This one made by Sticks65.

Brokor likes this.
  5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Hopefully Sticks65 can find time to make some more.

6. Gnarly

Gnarly Authority Questioner

My oh my....ya'll have some nice equipment!

It'd be tough to say what my favorite fixed-blade knife is....I don't own any Randalls or Al Mars or Valkman knives.

But the one I use most is an old handmade from my GrandDad....it's made from a crosscut saw blade.And looks like 40 miles of bad road.

Also agree with what Bear said about small axes.I have a 20" Wetterlings camp axe-it's a jewel! And also have an Estwing 24" camp axe...made in U.S.A.! and a solid unbreakable stainless handle....which is real important in a tool,if/when the SHTF.

----Gnarly [troll]

7. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

This
    [​IMG]

8. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I hear you on the ax. An ax is plenty useful. I still think that a medium sized blade has the most utility. I can cut a sapling down with a 4" blade (no chopping involved). Try skinning a rabbit with an ax.... a little tougher. I will say that, properly sharpened, an ax can do a bit more than people say. I recently found an old Plumb Hatchet in the garage. I have no clue where it came from. Of course it was in terrible shape. I touched it on the belt grinder. I finished it off an a set of triple oil stones. I would estimate the grit to be up into the 800s on the fine one. It was a fine sharp... not a nick left in the blade. Later I needed something to cut an oil cloth out of an old towel.... go figure.... only time I left my knife indoors, I needed it outside. I grabbed the hatchet without hesitation and quickly worked it down the towel... like butter. I don't think I would touch one on a water stone but, I would gladly sharpen any on those oil stones again.

Hog- I hear you on the USAF/Army survival knife. I had one as a fishing companion for years as a boy. I abused the crap out of it and kept coming back for more. Used the pommel as a hammer, waded with it, and it rarely saw a drop of oil. I took it anytime we were going on a little dip in the river. It lasted. Finally gave it away to a friend as a gift.

9. omnipadme

omnipadme Monkey+

I recently bought the gerber infantry lmf II and I'm in love. Can't wait to go camping and test it out fully.

10. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 Monkey+++

One is none, and two is one, and so on and so forth.
    Any of these would do fine.
    Sam's B-day 00057.JPG

11. azranger

azranger Monkey+

The Bussekin family of knives are proven to be some of the "toughest" knives around (Busse, Swamp Rat, Scrapyard). If it truly was the end of the world and you did not want your knife to break or fail--buy these!

KorumEmrys likes this.
  12. sharpeblades

sharpeblades Monkey+

Last survival knife

I would choose one of mine that i make ,They have been proven for 40 years

KorumEmrys likes this.
  13. DocLRRP

DocLRRP Monkey+

[​IMG]

From Sandown Forge

D2 Steel
    7" Blade 11.5" overall/

This one for me boot:
    [​IMG]

I know the OP said one, but I am new here and want to make a good impression.
    It is also from Sandown Forge:

SANDOWN FORGE

14. 2Munkeez

2Munkeez Monkey+

my newest knife hasn't had the chance to prove itself, yet, but it was bought to be a happy medium between big/little/heavy/detailed/etc. i don't like the idea of "one knifin it" but this knife was bought wiht that in mind

7" blade apx 1/4" thick FFG 5160
    Kraton handle

i'm going to make a sheath that holds it along with firesteel/magnesium tinder/scraper/LOTS of paracord. that way, i'll have a lot of useful items in one package that i plan on EDC'n (FL's cool about OC of larger knives).

15. HTML5

HTML5 Monkey+

fallkniven S1?

16. Frisian

Frisian Monkey

I have been collecting knives for a good many yrs and have acquired quite a number. I guess if I was destined to be put in an out and out situation with only one knifeto survive with I would choose a vintage Trailmaster. as having the combination of qualities I like. I know many will disagree, but I have owned and do own many large blade Bowies/Camp blades including Randall, Bardsly, Busse, Western, Case, Gerber, etc and I find the Trailmaster to be the most comfortable to whip up Lodge Poles, process camp wood, shave kindling.
    If I could have a smaller knife as a companion to it, I would take a Bark River Bravo 1.

melbo likes this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have several blades, including a set of throwing knives, but for all round use, I would likely stick with my Kershaw Blade trader. s7_516112_999_03.

chelloveck likes this.
  18. KorumEmrys

KorumEmrys Monkey+

Really Love My TOPS knives; Alaskan Harpoon, B.O.B., Pasayten, Moccasin Ranger, Dawn Warrior, amongst others including the Ontario Rat 5-Non Serrated Edge & The Becker BK-7, Ontario Gen II SP42, Ontario Bush Knife, and Gerber LHR and LMF...This is all I currently have and Everyone would be the right one!!!

19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThJhmGf8aQ9lv0EhrG4xs0GFrIqHC413K9jBxfISU90_7qozAh

It does a mean job of spreading butter, and it doesn't set off the airport metal detectors!

KorumEmrys likes this.
  20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Nice concept...nice butchering combination, for skinning and boning and general cutting and whittlin'. Possibly not as robust as a knife with a fixed tang, but with the potential for jury rigging replacement handles.

KorumEmrys likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hitchcock4
  9. john316
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Asia-Off-Grid