If You Had To Choose....

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Dec 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Accounting to Clint Eastwood it does make a distinctive sound when fired at you. ;)

Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And one of the reasons I like the SKS for a Ranch Rifle.

NVBeav and Tully Mars like this.
  3. HK_User

The answer to the distance issue and accuracy.

'By contrast, the SDM-R utilizes an…

A3-type flat-top upper receiver and standard A2/A4 lower receiver, fluted 20-inch (20") stainless steel match-grade barrel with 1:8" twist (fluting is for stiffness and heat reduction), free-floating aluminum Mil-Std-1913 rail system/forend rail tube, two-stage match trigger, standard bird cage-type flash suppressor, and Harris S-L bipod attached to an ARMS #17 QD (Quick-Detach) mount. The front sight block is installed and secured with four set screws instead of two taper pins.

Charlie Cutshaw has written an informative article on the DPMS SDM-R 5.56mm rifle for the latest issue of Special Weapons for Military & Police, and chose the Trijicon TA31RCO-A4 4×32 ACOG (Advanced Optical Combat Gunsight) for his range evaluation of the weapon. The TA31RCOA4 ACOG is essentially a product-improved version of the TA31F ACOG a.k.a. AN/PVQ-31A Rifle Combat Optic (RCO), which is utilized on the Army’s SDM-R. On a side note, Trijicon makes a variation on this combat optic for SOPMOD M4/M4A1 Carbine users called the AN/PVQ-31B.

During the course of his evaluation, Mr. Cutshaw tested the DPMS SDM-R with a few other optical goodies, including the Gen III+ Optical System Technology, Inc. AN/PVS-22 Universal Night Sight (UNS), which represents state-of-the-art image intensification (I2) tech. Cutshaw notes that the AN/PVS-22 UNS mounts in front of the day optic rather than behind it like the PVS-14, thus eliminating for illuminated reticles and/or ocular adapters that cause eye relief issues. He also notes that the PVS-22 "retains boresight throughout its focus range, and has no parallax issues, even if mounted slightly off axis.

Cutshaw also installed a Laser Devices DBAL-A2 (Dual Beam Aiming Laser-Advanced2) a.k.a. MFAL (Multi-Functioning Aiming Laser System) (NSN: 5855-01-535-6166) laser aiming and illuminating device (laser aimer/illuminator), which incorporates an IR targeting laser (laser pointer), IR illuminator, and red visible laser (targeting laser/pointer). The DBAL-A2/MFAL is reportedly smaller and more capable than the Insight Technology AN/PEQ-2 (unconfirmed/unverified). The following is how Cutshaw describes DBAL-A2/MFAL operation, etc.:

"Modes are selected using a rotary switch to select between the visible laser and various IR modes, including IR pointer only, IR illuminator only or both. A low power engagement mode reduces the IR output for indoor use and CQB. Optical glass generators project different illumination patterns that include circle, square, triangle, plus sign or "T" for target designation and pointing. When used with the AN/PVS-22, the DBAL-A2 enables the shooter to illuminate his target with a laser that is invisible to the naked eye, a major advantage in night operations. Windange and elevation are adjustable in 0.4 of a milliradian increments. The DBAL-A2 is provided with optional mounts for Mil-Std-1913 rails, either a thumbscrew or ARMS throw lever mount. Our test unit came with the ARMS mount, which we personally prefer."

Cutshaw appropriately tested the DPMS SDM-R with the Black Hillls Mark 262 Mod 0 77-grain and Hornady TAP 75-grain rounds (5.56x45mm). The rifle put 5 Black Hills Mark 262 Mod 0 rounds into 0.75" (average velocity 2822 FPS) and 5 Hornady 75 TAP rounds into 1.00" (average velocity 2737) at 100 yards at 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

It should perhaps be noted that U.S. Army SDM-R is built by the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) at Fort Benning Georgia, and the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) Precision Weapons Section (PWS), Weapons Training Battalion, Quantico, Virginia is currently making a similar rifle for their operators called the Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle (SAM-R)."

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The SKS is a fine rifle. Decent accuracy and due to its light recoil, fast recovery for follow up shots. Inexpensive or I should say they were inexpensive, one doesn't mind the bruises as much.

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and HK_User like this.
  5. HK_User

And no Mighty Mite Mag to stick you in the gut as you roll off to take that aimed shot at the Yote.

Tikka likes this.
  6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@HK_User
    If you have posted the new DPMS SDM-R using Black Hills 262 or Hornady 75 gr tap shoot .75 MOA and 1 MOA respectively. I would have doubted it.

Judging by what I see at the range from a lot of people, I would have expected better from a built rifle using expensive ammunition at the range.

Most my ARs shoot M193 and M855 better than the above; however, they are a higher quality AR than the M16A2 so that is to be expected.

Edit: They are also wearing optics. ;)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

When it comes to the US, troops win battles, politicians lose wars. US troops armed with M series rifles have won virtually every battle against AK armed soldiers. It takes a US politician (probably did their graduate thesis on the brilliance of Neville Chamberlain's diplomacy) to throw the sacrifice of those troops away with the flip of a pen against paper.

Tully Mars likes this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Actually what our warriors win in combat; our politicians give away in peace.

9. HK_User

That's what I said to a neighbor when I heard his new toy.

Of course the AK just doesn't cut down trees like a M1will.

Tikka likes this.
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

For sure, nor will it turn cover into concealment as 7.62N or 30 Cal will.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I am sure the AK as designed with ww2 in Mind. I believe I read that Kalishnkov used examples of world war 2 and the German weapons as his reason for even trying to design the rifle. I know It was built after the war. What I meant was it was the second world war that pushed this rifle into existence.

12. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You're gonna need a lot of pre-planned positions and be shooting and scooting, preferably away from the house, from the get-go, because from the first shots they are going to be attempting to move to your flanks...not to mention calling in arty/air/drones if they got em. If you stay at any one position for longer than it takes for them to spot your general position, you're gonna be dead meat. Granted, I am talking about organized groups with some bit of resources and training...not your run-of-the-mill mob of MZBs looking for easy pickings.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chimo
    For individuals, Jenny's "Run, Forrest, run" defined "shoot and scoot" best. ;)

The reality is unlike Rambo's exploits; a numerically superior force will almost always grind the individual up. Same as any rule there are exceptions; however, who wants to find out if they are the exception?

14. chimo

Some of us (and not just individuals, small teams as well) may have no choice in the matter...so the point of the exercise is to shoot, scoot, then keep on scooting...to a backup BOL, preferably with some distractions you can trigger that will be more interesting to them than you are.

Trouble is, if they are between you and your home, you may have to keep shooting and scooting until they do finally nail your ass...but hopefully you've bought some time for those at home to bug out.

All I've got is me and a few neighbors...there ain't no cavalry coming to save us...so if a large force manages to surprise us, we're pretty much farked. Luckily for us, we have a lot of open space between us and any approach...so as long as the corn isn't high, we'll see them coming from a ways off and be able to GTFOD. If S has already HTF, the corn won't be a problem either.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yes Chimo, we dont plan on engaging military. One air strike and we would be toast. Our plan is for local or city gangs bent on taking what they want. We have real nice system of fall back points that really cant be flanked. Terrain is key. The first is a Choke point with muck and swamp on both sides of the road in . They have to go down the road to be able to fan out. I control that choke point with enough fire power to stop as many as 50 men. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel. They would be smart to send one or two men who would be dropped with 30-06 fire. One shot one kill. They would never even see the shooters who drop them. This is because the approach is down hill to a culvert. Then the road goes up hill again. This culvert is a creek that joins two lakes together. The silt on both sides is deep and dangerous. But it doesn't matter as both sides taper out into cat tails with no cover. To even see the pits we dug you have to be in the killing zone. So they are blind until they reach the area beyond the Culvert. No amount of flanking will work as there is no cover in the Areas you can see us. So in short you have to step out in open to put any fire on us. We have a .50 and a .338 cal to stop any vehicle like a truck or car. We can also take culvert out or block it. We already plan to take out trees on both sides to keep any cars from getting anywhere near close to that choke point. We hear chain saws? we come a running. Sentries are also key and that chore is a rotation. Not only do we have several ambush teams of shooters but we also have a ground team for attacking them from behind. WE have boats and control the water. They wont be carrying boats and if they do> We again have the high ground they are toast.

chimo likes this.
  16. chimo

Sounds like you got your manure wired, Fish...can I call you Fish? I'd call you King, but then Lebron would start crying and I'd have to shoot him, totally ticking off my grand kids. ;)

Tully Mars likes this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Wish I lived closer...turn he Kingfish into an Axes competition. Ha. Sounds like a set up all right.

18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Only one way in unless they want to cover 10 miles of Federal forest from the next road. Dont get me wrong we do NOT have enough men to cover all the bases. If they came at all most likely they will come from the nearest big city and they would most likely be on the roads not in the woods. Thousands of acres of federal forests here. Not much chance of getting flanked on the road in but if they knew we were here or had a map of the local area they could figure out how to see us without engaging us. It would require gps or real good compass navigating out around the lakes To get behind us. My guess is ? they would come up the road first. Maybe they lose a couple guys and try going around the first lake. That is where the team will be already circling behind them from. Flank them before they flank you. There is another bottle neck between two lakes and they would try and use it or face miles around another lake. That Bottle neck is naked as for cover. The lakes really are the terrain that will funnel them. God have mercy on them if they find a rowboat and try to approach by water. They would slow and easy targets. I hope I never have to find out.

Tully Mars and BTPost like this.
  19. chimo

Thank God that Uncle Sugar has taken steps to protect us from bangers and other goblins from having drones to do recon.

On second thought...you might want to do some anti-drone planning.
    [YD]

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

I've always preferred to use the same weapons and ammunition as the enemy - This just seems to make the most sense. I've got an AR; I've got an AK. The Bulgarian AK actually shoots as well as - or, maybe even, a little better than - my Colt LE6920!

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Matei
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. hot diggity
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Dont
  9. oil pan 4
  10. Oddcaliber
  11. Yard Dart