If you had to start again today...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

What " career direction" do you think shows the most promise even as the the western world falls into a drug induced stupor and slips under the bathtub water...I can't even come up with anything to advise my younger daughter which direction she should head , I'm thinking anything health care related.
    hell I may go back too,either web development stuff or healthcare related.(back into Industry is out...[peep]).seesaw

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The tech field is always diverse and looks optimistic. Computer forensics and even other investigative fields in biology (lab techs, etc.) will always have openings. Working for law enforcement agencies will further broaden the horizon, too.

I have been thinking about CF myself; since the new GI Bill has been in play, but I just can't stomach law enforcement types or Fed's because of their nature. The individuals are fine, it's just what they stand for -you know what I mean.

I don't know.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now is the time for engineering of the hard variety, as in construction. When this mess starts a real recovery, there is going to be a significant need for field engineering types for new, upgrade, and rehab construction. Our infrastructure is falling apart, and new plant is already needed. We can import some big stuff easily (monster earth movers included) but no way to move a whole power plant from a coastal port to a minemouth location in North Dakota, even if it could be fabricated in Korea. Civil engineering (bridges, highways and water projects) in particular is going to be in high demand, with mechanical and electrical not far behind (ignoring micro stuff, that will be built overseas, think big stuff.) For a real unstable but high wage occupation, go for heavy lift rigging operations and demolition.

Agriculture is fixing to go thru a major change in focus, I believe, toward smaller operations. Aggie engineers (yes, there is such a thing) will be wanted.

Health care will always be in demand, and oddly enough so will economics types.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Gig 'Em Ags

I'm applying for the masters program at A&M next year in an ag development program.

If I had to do it all over again....ICE. What would be more fun than going on raids and busting those here illegally?

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

If the FedGov is right about health threats - Undertakers/Mortuary may be in high demand.......

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I'd go right back to construction (Industrial/Commercial) and contracts (our litigious society just can't live without them).

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Demolition??? I'm great at that...I suck at clean up...

and parking:

[​IMG]

8. Funnyrunner

Funnyrunner Monkey++

I've been an ER nurse for 25+ years and the medical field always has jobs open with good pay and just about anywhere geographically.

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks; Wife's a charge RN on a med/ surgical floor.. for me;I don't have the intense attention to detail and recall it takes, perhaps a radiology tech( I get along with equipment)..

10. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My cousin made mega bucks owning his own Computer Company ...and went to work for the NIH 5 yrs ago when he saw the economic climate changing....

The first thing he asked me when my daughter graduated from College is what degree she got and where she is going to work...When I told him the OR at the hospital....his first comment was "Thank God. She's employable..." (she is going to be a CRNA...she has to work 2 yrs, then go back to school for 2 yrs...)

When he asked about her boyfriend of 8 yrs and I told him he worked for Bicardi....He started laughing and said "He'll always have work!"

Just my 2 cents....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7