If you were to hunt deer with a .223...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by craneje, Jan 24, 2012.

1. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

77gr SMK OTMs (mk262) would be the best round IMHO, or a 7x grain SPS round. Of course any 5.56 round would take a white tail, but why not use the preferred round used in battle today that has 700 yard lethality and great barrier penetration (mk262)?

In MT here I believe we have to use a .243 or larger caliber for white tail and up.

2. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sapper John and PapaSasquatch like this.
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Last time I checked ( need to read up on latest laws) nothing under .243 allowed in Az. But in a real scenario, I'd use anything I had!
    My personal choice would be nothing less than a 150=205 gr. .30 caliber...I have seen game run off and never found after being hit ( bad shot!)_ Not mine...I'm no hunter by any means, unless you consider quail, dove, and rabbits!

5. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

M855 penetrator!!!! just kidding, any factory 55 grain load should drop a deer.

6. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

Here in Ohio we can use rifles for coyote, crow, groundhog, and feral/wild pigs, but not for deer. Deer hunting in Ohio is limited to archery equipment, black powder, and shotguns shooting a single projectile.

In the event that I had to use the .223 Remington (which uses a .224 diameter projectile) I would go with the heaviest projectile i could get that had the best weight retention for the bullet. Nosler partition has a 60 grain bullet available. All depends on the situation I find myself in.

I would not break the law while there is still rule of law.

7. notacityboy

notacityboy Monkey

Hey people
    I realize this is an old thread but in WV deer can legally be killed with a .223 and per regs any CENTERFIRE RIFLE cartridge. The only caliber restrictions are for RIMFIRE RIFLE (must be over .25 cal) and handgun cartridges.
    Just a heads up to any WV hunters that didn't know

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    rjburk likes this.
  8. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

I used a Mini14 for several years in WV and killed Deer with no issues, used FMJ on a few, most FMJ bullets will blow up like a HP once it hits something.........never had a Game Warden or Cop question anything even with a 30 round mag hanging under it......went through 3 Mini's and got tired of the bad accuracy issues and only use AR's now....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My Mini is accurate enough to justify having a scope on it, if I could not justify a scope on it , it would not be worth keeping, the same with any gun I own..
    From all the statistics that others have shared through the years ,double tap is the way to go ,there is no pride here.
    If I'm shooting with a bow, I'd be nocking, or attempting to, before the first arrow hit the target.
    I have taken animals with good shots, but the animal still had the reserve to keep going , there's nothing more you can do once the bullet/arrow has left your influence, and having a follow up at the ready is the prudent thing to do. It makes the semi auto or double action the more practical means of harvesting game or defending one's life.

10. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I have had good luck with the 60 gr. Nosler Partitian bullet in both the .223 and the 22-250. Recovered several bullets and all were cute little mushrooms. Hit them in the vitals and its a done deal. These are hand loads that I use, but I know there is a factory load that uses that bullet. Not sure but I think it might have been Hornady.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7