Ike, here we go again....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniper-66, Sep 9, 2008.

1. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just got my orders to prepare last night, looks like Sniper is going to get to go down and see how many hurricanes it takes to flush NO out!

2. Ivan

Ivan Monkey++

ah god damnit. if i wanted to deal with this shiat id have moved to Florida when i had the chance.

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I must live under some lucky star....Lived in Florida a total of 29 yrs, and have yet to have anything other than loss of power happen to me during a hurricane...
    Now in South Carolina??? Different story....

I'll never stay during a Cat 5 again! Ever.

Hope all is well and the city isn't hurt too badly....I have a very soft spot for LA.....for many reasons.

And Texans are just close to my heart for oh so many reasons....

Be Safe!

4. CRC

For those that want to be in style this Season....

[​IMG]

Hey, sometimes humor is the only thing that gets me thru a bad situation...;)

5. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

OMG! Are those shoes for real? I don't have a single pair of those.
    (sorry, I got sidetracked)

Stay safe, Sniper!

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Safe travels, fly over if you get a chance.

7. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Looks like NO is spared this one. Last projections have landfall between Corpus Christi and Brownsville. I'm 60 miles N. of B-ville. But I'll be about 800 miles N. before Ike gets here. I'll have that Ram's nose pointed North come Thursday morn.

[gone]

Gonna be bad flooding if the Rio Grande Valley gets any more rain. It's already saturated. We were having to chopper hands out of the last location I was on near Laredo last week. Swollen creeks and over flowing ponds.

8. sniper-66

We are packing aircraft today and dooing life preserver and HEEDs training. This is going to be ugly. Don't know what kind of internet will be available, but I will keep y'all posted.

9. CRC

Stay Safe....Prayers sent to everyone in Ike's path....

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

From tonight's news, if you didn't hit the road really early, you are still in traffic. Galveston Island is under mandatory evac, and the Gov has stated that if they don't leave, they will die (from the storm, not storm troopers.) One guy said on the news that he was not leaving, mostly because he didn't like the idea that he was being told to go, not advised. (Not too sure how smart he was, but well spoken anyway.)

Be safe and get home.

11. sniper-66

well, can't seem to get going. We were supposed to launch today and couldn't get out because our staging area is now in the projected path of the hurricane once it makes landfall. They are trying to find another staing place, but it's looking like we will end up sitting this one tight until landfall and the try to get down there, probably looking like Saturday or Sunday.

12. ghrit

Keep that eggbeater out of the downdrafts, will ya? (And IIRC, those things don't weather being tied down in the open either. Got your car rented for the trip home?)

13. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I made it home today. Traffic was horrid. I-37 coming out of Corpus Christi was bumper to bumper.

I left S. Texas last year when hurricane Dean was supposed to hit the Brownsville area. (ended up going further South into Mexico)
    I posted about all the S. bound busses and NG troops that I saw.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?p=58585&highlight=buses#post58585

This time it was a repeat of that. Lots of buses & NG troops. Not nearly as many as last year tho. But one thing I saw this time that I didn't see last year was hundreds of ambulances headed South.
    I didn't see hardly any last year. I think the focus then was evacuation ( a mandatory evac order was going to go into effect if it looked to hit B-ville).
    I'm guess that they are expecting a lot of casualties from this one.

Stay safe Sniper.

14. ghrit

Glad you made it out.

15. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Some will stay just to say they stayed. Sometimes your best offense is to fight another day. I'll take the middle card Ghrit.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

16. ghrit

hehehe. The middle card says you left and while in your house searching for whoever was left inside, they uncovered your cache, confiscated all the guns and ammo you couldn't carry out. You're lucky, they left a receipt stapled to the ceiling on the second floor. (Left off your fave antique Scheutzen --)

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am to be well out of threats like that. The worst I can expect is a 3 foot snow and power outages, and the way this land is configured, there won't be enough warning to clear out of a tornado's path. Got snow and power covered; no bad choices here. (I don't think, anyway.)

[coffee2]

Like I said in MM's referenced thread, the folks that stay should do so knowingly, and should not expect rescue should they make a bad choice. Guys like Sniper 66 should not have to take the risks attendant to bailing out those that overestimated their own ability to take care of themselves. The main problem with Katrina was that the "victims" took the risk without knowledge and depended on the dot gov to think for them, and the dot gov was just as ignorant of what they were about. Looks like things are in better shape this time around, the people are smarter and the dot gov planning is much better. The weaknessess will show up later.

17. sniper-66

The worst part of Katrina was Nagin and his croonies telling everyone to not worry, we will all just gather in the Superdome, hug, and sing Kumbayaa. This time, that wasn't given as an option. I'm guessing that they had a game scheduled for Sunday and didn't want to ruin the field this time.

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This storm is going to do a lot of damage, God help those that stay. Sniper, where are you staged at? We are expecting 50-60 mpg winds on Saturday, and lot of rain. I am still waiting on status reports from 25 plants, hopefully they will be in quick before D.C. starts calling.

Prayers for those caught in it's path. Stay safe Sniper.

19. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Be safe sniper keep us posted

20. CRC

This is such a bad one....Y'all stay safe...Get out if you can...

And let us know how you are when you can.....

I can't wait for November 1st.... :(

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7