Ike, here we go again....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniper-66, Sep 9, 2008.

1. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We got the word to launch today, then about two hours later, we had tornadoes about 15 miles from my house. We made it to San Angelo at about 1700 and I am currently watching Ike getting ready to spank the crap out of Galveston and Houston. We will sit tight tomorrow to wait for Ike to clear out, but they are expecting it to be bad. I will let you all know more as I find out.

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anyone heard from EL? Or Charlie??

Peeps on my Buffett board are really active, and lots, LOTS of damage...but so far we're all accounted for, thank God!

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

EL has posted, but C hasn't.

4. CRC

Just heard from EL....Sent Charlie a msg via text....

A photo from my friend who flies for the Hurricane Hunters....

Sunset, yesterday evening, from the plane...

[​IMG]

5. ghrit

Good news.

6. CRC

This is gone....dammit.

[​IMG]

It was for the Great Storm of 1900....lot of history there...

So many places I've been are gone now....I need to back away from the TV and the computer.....

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's still there, I saw it on footage this morning.

8. CRC

Glad you're ok...:)

Ok....KHOU said it was gone....must have been another memorial statue???

9. sniper-66

Well, we made the push into Victoria today, looks like we will be going into the fray tomorrow. Here is a picture of us tying down with the last of the spiral bands behind. Poor picture, my camera is giving up the ghost.

[​IMG]

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

So far, loss of life in the US appears minimal - that's the good news!

Loss of property - that's the bad news. Ike will go down as one of the most costly Hurricanes ever - for property loss and fuel/economic disruption.

Please Lord, give us a rest for awhile......

11. sniper-66

Looks like the show may be over. Our guys went out to the aircraft this morning and then the sky opened up and it rained like no ones business. The crews were told to tie the aircraft back down and head back to the hotel. When they got here, they told us that all the rescues are pretty much done, everyone that stayed behind is counted for and now it is just the logistical resupply. They are talking about sending us home tomorrow now. Speaking of the show, think I will go see a movie before cabin fever starts in.

12. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Sniper

Glad you made it out alright. Some family and friends decided to ride it out in Houston, and I told them they are stupid. Looks like God took care of them because the odds were certianly against them. I saw some of the rescues on KHOU, and I think they should pay full costs and have charges filed against them. Let these storms deepen the gene pool.

Looks like someone with a tractor (or credit enough to buy one) could make very good money down ther for the next couple of years.

We didn't get a drop of rain here 30mi SW of Austin.

jim

13. sniper-66

I'm not out yet, still sitting here in Victoria. They are going to release us for the day in five minutes, but then we have to report tomorrow. I fully expect that they will release us though. Unlike Katrina, there isn't any levees to plug, and there isn't a reason to carry supplies in, what work there is to do, the Texas aircraft can take care of. I'm ready to go home and see my daughter!

14. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

With the Fema fiasco in N.O., Alot of people didn't want to leave and go through that in Houston, but some people are just too poor to leave. I have a question. I'm watching News 11 in Houston of Fema teams going to houses with structural damage, looking for people trapped by debris. Are they making those people leave, taking their firearms, etc.? I noticed military looking troops with them. Just curious.

15. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

For those not in the Houston area that have direct tv KHOU is being aired on channel 361, not sure if Dish network is doing this as well

16. sniper-66

I can't really tell you, I am watching the news like y'all, but I would seriously doubt that they are taking firearms as I don't think the Texans would put up with that very well. Also, since FEMA has a lawsuit about that very topic from the Greensburg disaster, I am thinking they are a little "gunshy", (no pun intended) about doing anything that would bring bad light upon themselves and give the Democrats or Republicans anything to use as fodder.

17. CRC

From a friend who lives in Sugarland:

We had a staged evac this time around with the priority going to the coastal A zones first and then the B zones along Galv. Bay cities area and then to inland. This time people also followed which highway and direction to take instead of going where they wanted to. There was never more than a few hours wait.

Sorry not a government apologist here or someone not challanged by the storm. I just accept my part in this and I dont think I am a victim in it. My business is destroyed (building is beat to hell), my neighborhood looks like a war zone, as well as my brothers house 2 miles away, and my parents house 1.5 miles away, I have a 6 week old baby that is not taking the lack of AC well, a five year old that is bouncing off the walls, and all the food in the fridge is now bad. BUT I am blessed. Unlike some I have running water, my family is safe, and my mother in law has power so I can ship the wife and kiddos there so they are safe- the reason I am on the computer now- and I can come home, put it back together, protect our property knowing they are safe and comfortable.

But I refuse to sit here and blame anyone for where we are- s*** happens, roll with it- and everyone involved is doing everything they can to get life back on track and this constant finger pointing ticks me off.

The one thing to remember is that if the 90,000 people left like they were told to the first responders would be able to aid the recovery in the non-evac zones instead of poring all available manpower on the Island. Sorry but I was here before the storm and every person on that Island was told to get out and given anything they needed so they could get out.

I will actually be happy to get back to the house without power so I can get away from all the BS on TV, the gotcha game the press and Pols play for some personal gain. It will be more relaxing cutting up tree's, patching the roof, aand so forth instead od listening to the blame game.

I for one think they are doing a great job. Hell I saw 30 or so c-130's flying into Hobby today, and the convoy of National Guard on 59. It is amazing what you can see and hear when not surrounded by the noise of "normal" day life..

18. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

im from houston, now based a little north of it but my family still lives there, they came to visit for the storm. A good friend, lost a backyard shed some trees, power etc. but all are safe. Downtown is where its nasty there are buildings that the entire glass face is gone. the guy with the tractor is going to have plenty of work and so are the glass shops. My family work for 18wheeler tow truck service. so i expect to get more info as they make it back.

19. sniper-66

Well, it's official, we are being released to go home. Here are the personal stats:
    Water hauled: 0
    Food hauled: 0
    People Saved: 0
    Missions flown: 1
    Flight hours: .3

I don't think I will volunteer for this ever again.

20. ghrit

Yeah, but it was free food and lodging --- [beer]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7