I'm bored..... do we need a glossary?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackjack, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Since I'm bored and have nothing to do, and no life to speak of..... does the Monkey need a glossary of commonly used terms and abbreviations?

If not, just let me know and I'll go play a game or something instead.

I started one anyway.

1911 - The M1911 semi-auto pistol. It has a devout following.

1984 - Book written by George Orwell. Pretty much required reading for anybody suspicious of the government.

AFAIK - As Far As I Know

AK - A type of rifle, based on the AK-47 assault rifle.

Alphabet Agency - FBI, CIA, BATF, DNS, etc.

AR - A type of rifle, based on the M-16 assault rifle. Also called "Black Rifle".

ASAP - As Soon As Possible

AWB - Assault Weapons Ban

BATFE - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (a U.S. Federal government taxing agency). Not a favorite agency around here.

Black Rifle - The AR series of rifles

Black Rifle Disease - The urge to buy a black rifle, then another, then another.

BOB - Bug Out Bag - Bag with needed items you can quickly grab and leave with in case tshtf.

BOV - Bug Out Vehicle - Vehicle maintained specifically for the purpose of "bugging out"

BRD - Black Rifle Disease.

CCW - Concealed Carry Weapon.

CDC - Centers for Disease Control

Class 3 - Firearms that are required to have a federal tax stamp. Examples would be fully-
    automatic weapons, silenced weapons, weapons with barrels shorter than the law allows.

Condition 0- Ready to fire: A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety off.

Condition 1- A cartridge is chambered, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is in the up (safe) position. Also known as "cocked and locked" carry.

Condition 2- A cartridge is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3- The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a full magazine in the pistol. Also known as "Israeli Carry."

Condition 4- The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the pistol.

CONUS - Continental United States

CQB - Close Quarters Battle

EMP - Electro Magnetic Pulse - Usually referred to in the context of a weapon designed to
    disable the electronics of the enemy.

Faraday Cage - An enclosure designed to protect it's contents from electrical fields.

Fed - 1)Federal, usually referring to a federal law enforcement officer
    2)The Federal Reserve. The central banking system of the US, that, unknown to most
    people, is not a government entity, but privately owned, and not working in the
    best interest of the American people.

FMJ - Full Metal Jacket - A type of ammunition projectile that tends to keep it's shape
    better upon impact and penetrate deeper (as opposed to hollow points which expand more).

FRN - 1)Federal Reserve Note - The paper money you use and the Fed continues to devalue.
    2)Flat Round Nose - A bullet with a relatively large meplat
    3)Foolproof Redundant Network

H5N1 - The deadliest form of the "Bird Flu".

Hard Crash - The economy crashing in an abrubt manner, leading to mass civil unrest, starvation, etc.
    As opposed to a "Soft Crash".

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

IMO/IMHO - In My Opinion/In My Humble Opinion

IWB - Inside The Waistband. A handgun holster

JATO - Jet Assisted Take Off

Knob Creek - A gun range in Kentucky that holds a large "machine gun shoot" twice a year. Many survival
    Monkeys usually attend.

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

MOA - Minute of Angle - A measurement of accuracy for firearms. 1 MOA = 1 inch at 100 yards.

MRE - Meal Ready to Eat (U.S. Army field rations). Also called "Meal Rarely Eaten".

MZB - Mutant Zombie Biker. Sometimes just "Zombie". Can refer to the zombies you see in movies, or
    the general population after tshtf, wandering around looking for food or to victimize those
    of us who prepared ahead of time.

NBC - Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical

NV or NVG - Night Vision or Night Vision Goggles

NWO - New World Order

OPSEC - Operational Security

Orwellian - Referring to author George Orwell's vision of the future. Generally from his book, 1984.

Parrotheads - Fans of Jimmy Buffet.

Peak Oil - For a full explanation see THIS THREAD.

RATO - Rocket Assisted Take Off

Red Pill - From the movie "The Matrix". "Taking the red pill" is used as a metaphor for
    becoming aware of how government and the media controls us. Opening ones eyes
    to an often disheartening reality.

Republicrat - A portmanteau of "Republicans" and "Democrats". Generally a pejorative, inferring that
    both parties are nearly identical.

RFID - Radio Frequency Identification.

SBR - Short Barreled Rifle. Barrels shorter than 16" require a tax stamp and approval from the BATF.

SHTF - Also TSHTF. S**t Hit The Fan. Societal breakdown or war.

Soft Crash - A slower crash of the economy over time as opposed to a "Hard Crash".

Survival Monkey - See http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5303

Tactical Wheelbarrow (or Tacbarrow) - A long running joke stemming from a reference made by a rather
    extreme member who is now in prison.

Tannerite - An explosive mixture used as a firearms target.

Tin Foil Hat - Generally used "tongue in cheek" to denote a conspiracy theory that's "a little far out there",
    or paranoia.

TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It

TSHTF - Also SHTF. The S**t Hit The Fan. Societal breakdown or war.

War of Northern Agression - The U.S. Civil War. Seen by many as an attempt by the federal government to
    unconstitutionally assert control over the southern states.

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

:lol:

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You have set yourself a chore if you are going to maintain the glossary.
    FRN - 2) flat round nose - reference is to a bullet with a relatively large meplat.

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

FRN -- Federal Reserve Note (a second definition)

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

FRN=Foolproof Redundant Network (a 3rd def) ;)

Seriously, it would make a fun project.

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Well, I guess I'll update it as we go then.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Should start our own Wiki.

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Condition 1- A cartridge is chambered, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is in the up (safe) position. Also known as "cocked and locked" carry.

I take it you must be a 1911 guy. lol It would also include a round chambered and hammer down with safety off on any double action handgun. I suppose this could be considered to be either condition 1 OR condition 0 but have usually heard it in reference to condition 1.

10. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Perhaps this thread deserves a locked on top status. Maybe the glossary even deserves a link in the FAQ section. Good job blackjack. [beer]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7