I'M Finally Taking a Vacation

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Wildbilly, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I'm finally taking a vacation, if only for one day. On October 14th, I will fly out of Huntsville, Alabama and travel to Midland, Texas (aka the garden spot of the west Texas plains) to hopefully view the solar eclipse, and then return to Huntsville. With any luck, I will only be gone for 24 hours, and sleep in my own bed before returning to work the next day! I chose Midland because #1-the path of the eclipse passes between Midland and Odessa, which is the exact location of the airport, #2-the cloud cover is usually less in Midland than in other cities along the path, and #3-it's supposed to be the garden spot of the west Texas plains. The only thing that really matters is whether I get to see the eclipse...and return safely home!

Alf60, Hanzo, Zimmy and 10 others like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Having already experienced one total eclipse in SE Asia, I'll settle for the 70% eclipse this fall and the 82% in 2024...from right where I live.

Hope you have a good vacation, albeit brief! :)

SB21, CraftyMofo, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

In April of 2024, I'm planning on driving to central Arkansas to see the total eclipse and take several members of my family with me. Back in 2017, I saw the Great American Eclipse in White House, Tennessee, just north of Nashville.

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

VisuTrac likes this.
  5. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

we drove to Nashville for the 2017 eclipse, and found a cloudy sky just in time for the dam thing.
    It is pointless to travel to see a partial eclipse, in my opinion.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of the special glasses. When the sun is completely covered by the moon, it is NIGHT TIME, there is nothing to hurt your eyes and you do not need any protection. It's when you look at the sun AT ALL, even when part of it is covered, that you need protection.

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I got to see one true eclipse while in Stuttgart, Germany back in the late 80's or early 90's. Pretty weird, as everything got dark in the middle of the day and the street lights came on, lasted about 15 minutes. You could easily tell how this happening could freak out our ancestors and how Twain made use of it in 'Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court'. LOL!

@Wildbilly Have fun!

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Got a buddy that lives in Midland ,, been wanting me to get out there a few years ,, I should break down and go sometime soon .
    Enjoy your trip

Zimmy likes this.
  8. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Wildbilly I hope you will enjoy your vacation! That sounds like a perfect place to see the solar eclipse. How long of a trip is that from Huntsville? Travel safely!

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The skies were clear in White House, Tennessee, just a few miles to the north. Yeah, I remember taking the glasses off and looking directly at the Moon and Sun at the moment of totality. I also remember seeing the shadow of the Moon sweep toward us at supersonic speed, the sky getting dark, the chill in the air, lights coming on, and a few stars becoming visible. It was a lot to take in, especially in such a short period of time.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Christopher Columbus also made use of his knowledge of eclipses to shock and awe the natives!

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

October 14th would be a GREAT time to visit!

SB21 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

936 miles by car, each way, which is why I'm flying! When you figure in gas, wear and tear on the car (and me), food, and hotel/motel stays, flying is the only way!

SB21 and Alanaana like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I figured you would be driving and stopping for crawfish but nooo..That's okay most people from Alabama can't drive any ways.
    Safe travels!

Alanaana, techsar and SB21 like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

In my younger days, I loved long distance driving. But that would be two days driving there, a night to watch the eclipse, then two days drive back. Whoowee.... I'd need another couple days to vacay from the vacay!

SB21, Alf60 and Idahoser like this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

In early April, I applied for a passport. I had previously held a US passport, but I had let it expire about 10 years ago. I was going to need a passport or Star ID for my upcoming flight to Midland, Texas this fall, and I decided to go with the passport. When I applied for the passport at the local courthouse, I was told that it could take as long as 16 weeks to get it. It took less than 8 weeks! So now I'm good to go!

SB21, Seawolf1090, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Actually, now I'm good to go! My airline changed my return flight to one that only left me about 30 minutes or less on the ground in Midland, Texas. I changed my return flight, with the help of customer service, to a flight that leaves the next day. So, unless the airline changes my flight again, in 100 days I'll be gone!

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  17. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Wait, you need a passport to go to Texas?

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah man Texas is big big that place.

SB21, Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

img - 2022-03-12T200713.741.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

You need a Star ID, military ID, or passport to board a domestic flight as of this year. I went with a passport because it is the ultimate form of ID and I might want to travel overseas again someday.

CraftyMofo, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7