I'm looking to buy a half dozen Guinea Hogs for production

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Zimmy, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've raised durrocks and grained out wild caught for most of my life.

I think it's time to get a more economical hog to raise. Guineas are mid sized, good natured, and grass fed.

Has anyone else got experience?

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Are you talking about cuy.

download.

Zimmy likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nope, these (but I had the same thots you did at first.)
    The Livestock Conservancy

Zimmy and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Same thoughts here at first. Excellent link G
    It sounds like they would be ideal down here.

Zimmy likes this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Interesting, but may not be legal in some states that worry about more wild hogs. Some states, Wisconsin for one prohibit "feral hogs" and depending on the DNR agent, may decide that your traditional breed is to close to feral and could survive and thrive in the wild. Thus your goal as a survivalist for a pig that can basically take care of itself and their goal of prohibiting the introduction of feral hogs may be in conflict.

Ganado and Zimmy like this.
  6. Zimmy

No worries here regarding pasture pig regulations in Texas.

However, I'll have to make a pretty stout perimeter fence to keep out horny ferals. That will be out of 16'x40" panels. I'll divide into paddocks with electric fencing so I can rotate the herd and not overstress the land.

7. Zimmy

That makes hogs, rabbits, and eggs for protein without having to spend money in town for food and upkeep. Protein self sufficiency with redundancy.

This almost feels like not losing..... I forget the word.

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

In old days most hogs in the south basically ran free from what I have read, the sows and piglets were id by ear cuts, each family had their own "brand" and in the fall they were rounded up in an organized manner, parceled out to the "owners" and slaughtered when it got cold enough. When the process stopped, they ended up calling the hogs feral, but they are really just the ones left over from the old raising system. If things broke down, I would guess it wouldn't take long for some such system to reestablish itself as the concept of hunting leases, game ranches, etc, already exists and the old fallacy of the commons still holds, if it truly belongs to everyone, it will be abused and disappear. Our actions in the oceans and with fish have proved that and the game would disappear if TSHTF and everyone tried to live off the game or to harvest it and trade it to others.

Zimmy likes this.
  9. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

We see wild hogs with a lot of domestic blood from their appearance. When I was a boy I road in the back of my grand father's jeep (with the hunting dogs I was not allowed to pet) while he looked for his hog in the open range (woods). They would respond to his call and he knew them by his cut in their ears. My BOL is on the property now. I remember him telling me not to pet the dogs 'cause it would ruin them for hunting. He never showed them much attention but they went with him everywhere.

Tully Mars and Zimmy like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

most hog breeds go feral very quickly

if you have ever been to a large hog facility and went in the boat area you will see mostly wild in them

11. Zimmy

Our original feral domestic hogs are heavily corrupted by Russian boars imported and released intentionally on nearby game ranches of days gone by.

They have almost no resemblance to domestic breeds with a few exceptions with spots and rounder bodies. Here they are razorbacks and vicious as werewolves. Even 9 of 10 mature pigs raised from shoats are wildly fearful and aggressive despite gentle raising.

Ganado likes this.
  12. Zimmy

Not worth a thread of it's own but we picked up more hens tonight. 3 Jersey Giants and an Americauna. All are about 6 months old and laying already.

Tully Mars likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Got pigs?

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Pigs

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Pig_family

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    But first coffee.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Benjamin A. Wood
  18. Benjamin A. Wood
  19. Asia-Off-Grid
  20. Thunder5Ranch
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7