Improvised Cooking Crane / Pot Hanger system

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by chelloveck, Mar 15, 2022.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Anything that makes life in the bush easier and more efficient is worth spending a little time and effort to create...the investment in time will pay dividends each time you cook a meal over a fire with this pot hanging system

Having two or more cooking cranes / pot holders adds to the flexibility of the system...different meal components (slow stewing / keeping food warm can be done at one height, and cooking at high heat closer to the coals can be done at a different height.

Instead of using a tripod, the cooking crane / pot holder could be used to support an improvised chicken / game rotisserie...drier fleshed game such as rabbit may need some basting

https://www.youtube.com/c/FelixImmler/featured

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    mechstdr, Hanzo, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  2. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey++

Great to see an old design given new life.
    (This style pot hanger has been in books since at least 1950. Probably been in use for centuries.)

For the rotisserie the propellers could have easily been made from wood. (Same as splitting cedar shakes for roofing.) Which would be faster and safer than using a can.

mechstdr, Hanzo, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Then there are these...

hanging-billy-pot-over-fire.
    campfire-hanging-billy-pot.
    campfire-cooking-1.

mechstdr, Hanzo, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Or my lazy ass way... put the pot on a bed of coals after leveling it out. Keep the fire burning on the side and add/remove coals as needed. Often, if I add coals, I don't even move the pot, just put coals next to. If you only add to one side, remember to stir. That side will be hotter. But the whole pot will be boiling/simmering.

Gator 45/70, mechstdr and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7