In Praise of Old Steel

Discussion in 'Blades' started by 3M-TA3, Apr 28, 2021.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This 8" French knife was part of a mixed set of knives two of my brothers and I gave our Parents for Christmas in the early 70's. To that point, being frugal, they used inexpensive knives that had flimsy blades and near constant sharpening. We went to a commercial knife supply on McLoughlin Blvd close to where Highway 224 merges in.

This Dexter 4898 became the workhorse of the bunch and has been in daily use ever since. Except for a few occasions it has been immediately washed and dried after use. The stains you see near the tip are near invisible to the human eye, but you can bet I'll be spending time with an SOS pad soon.
    upload_2021-4-28_19-13-28.

So what is so great about this near 50 year old very much used carbon steel knife? It's never needed to be sharpened after 5 decades of daily use. It just got it's AFAIK sixth visit to the steel. A couple of strokes on each side and it's sharper than that fancy German set the missus just had to have ever dreamed of.

Dexter still makes a knife with roughly the same profile, but instead of being forged it's made from stamped carbon stainless. Instead of the full blade flat grind of it's predecessor it appears to have the more economical saber grind. I won't knock this knife, but doubt that 40 years from now somebody will be singing it's praises on social media.

This knife has a retail of 50 to 60 USD, new where it's forged predecessor sells for $100 used on that auction site. I guess that tells the tale.
    upload_2021-4-28_19-46-49.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    techsar, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 7 others like this.
  2. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Love the older knives; My daily 10" my brother gave me back in 1972. Deter-Russel with rosewood handle. It's needed a real sharpening exactly once: after the ex used it on a pizza stone...

dexter-russel.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Hate that!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It's crazy, but I discovered Japanese Steel to be some of the best kitchen knives ever made! Wife bought me a really expensive hand made set of knives for our wedding, and not a one has needed a single lick on a stone since! You don't wash them, and don't let the handles ever get soaked, and you clean the blade with lemon and olive oil before putting them away!

Lancer and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nice...but those Henckel twins are no slouch either.

Ten years and no steel required yet :)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have a pair of Heinkel French knives as well. One is ~15 years old and one is ~5. Both needed sharpening, and the handle on one fell apart when the rivets failed. Not sure if it was the old one or the new one. Haven't gotten around to repairing it yet. Pretty knives and well balanced, but I'd prefer a steel similar to the Dexter. Stainless is a compromise that makes the steel softer.

I reach past the Heinkels every time for the Dexter. It's really that good.

techsar and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7