Indoor Citrus Trees

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have done the avocado sprouting before. I grew a really tall stalk. It was like Jack and the bean stalk. It kept going up. I ended up trashing it because I figured it wasn't going to produce.

JABECmfg likes this.
  2. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

How long did you keep it before tossing it out?

3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

The only problem you might have with indoors apple trees, is size. The trees generally get pretty big!

So far as fruiting goes, I know that with apple trees, you generally allow the first year's fruits alone (let them drop). The second year, pick them once they're ripe. They'll be small (probably the size of a rubber handball, if you're lucky), and may not even be too sweet, but by picking them, you're telling the tree that its fruit will be harvested, and the next year, the fruits will be larger in size. Eventually, they should be full sized for that variety of apple, so long as the tree gets sufficient light and water.

My folk's house also had an old, defunct (abandoned) apple orchard across the street. No one picked the apples from those trees, so they got smaller and smaller every year, to the point where they finally only grew a little bigger than a golf ball! They were pretty good for us kids to use for apple wars, though!! :rolleyes:

As far as growing from seeds, consider this.....there's plenty of places in the world where fruit trees are planted naturally, by the fruit bats that inhabit that area. When I lived on Guam, that's how many of the island's trees had been planted. The fruit bats eat the fruit, including the seeds, which pass, undigested, through the bat, and exit it mixed in the with guano.....which helps to fertilize the seed, so it can grow a new tree! Now who but a supreme being could come up with a foolproof plan like that one?? :)

john316 and JABECmfg like this.
  4. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

LOL, yeah, I guess I should have pointed out that the apple trees will go outside this fall. (Assuming they grow at all, of course.) One tree growing in the living room is enough, and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it when it gets bigger!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    natshare and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

About a year. I know that was probably not long enough, I was young & impatient.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I got my Nagami Kumquat tree just a few days ago, it's looking great. I picked up a two year aged tree, it has fruit.

Here's some information for those who may be looking...

Self-pollinating your citrus tree
    Identify the male and female parts of the citrus tree. The male parts, or anthers are multiple long filaments that are surrounded with fluffy yellow pollen grains on the ends. The female stigma is the sticky structure in the center of the flower. Using a cotton swab, small brush or tip of the finger, gather some fluffy yellow pollen from the anthers of the blossom. Dab the pollen directly onto the stigma and make sure some of the pollen adheres to it. Repeat the process with each bloom you wish to develop into fruit.

Pruning
    Given that you want to control the size of the citrus tree for indoor use, prune the tree more when it is young to encourage better branch growth and heartiness. Wait to prune until after you harvest your fruit if possible. Clip off the weak, damaged branches at the point where they intersect the main tree trunk. After removing the branches, be sure to cleanse your pruning shears with disinfectant to prevent contamination in the future (fungus and mold). If the branch does not look like it will hold the weight of the fruit, clip it off. Remove more lateral branches and try to thin out the interior canopy of the tree. By doing this, you will increase sunlight and airflow to the middle branches which helps proper fruit ripening and prevents disease.

Motomom34 and JABECmfg like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I found a local place that has kumquat and lemon trees. I am going to check them out because some I have seen look kind of sickly. I had been hoping Santa would bring me a tree for Christmas. I left my Christmas "tree" list, with a coupon on the counter, Santa brought me sexy boots instead. I guess Santa and I aren't on the same page. So I will go get a couple of citrus trees and wear my boots when tending them. :rolleyes:

JABECmfg and Brokor like this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Oh, I don't know about that.....I think those boots will help make something grow....who knows? it might help your trees too! :rolleyes:;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[ROFL] Men....

kellory likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

You can espalier your apple trees to any size you want, even a single column trimmed to a certain height.

Motomom34, JABECmfg and Brokor like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just purchased a variegated pink lemon tree. It only has 5 leaves at the moment but it was marked down to $15 (normally $46). It has buds all over it. I love bringing things back to life. I am still looking for a nice Meyer lemon but this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

JABECmfg and Brokor like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Did you buy your apple trees or did they come with your home?

13. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I bought them from Arbor Day. The first ones they sent were junk and died almost out of the gate. The replacements were much better. I don't have pics but am training them to 2 horizontal bars, like this

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never seen such a thing. That is so cool. It's natural fencing.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thread bump. Time to try again. I love gardening and growing but have had issues in the past. Time to try again. I have been shopping for a citrus tree that hopefully will produce in years to come. Anyone currently growing indoor citrus? I have been thinking about sprouting an avocado also. I am in different housing and have different lighting.

Ganado likes this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I use two grow lights on timers.
    DSC00602.JPG
    The small plant next to the kumquat tree is a basil plant. This kumquat tree is about 5 years old or so now, and I've killed it twice. The first time was pure ignorance, and I regrew it from the root and it grew stronger as a result, but it took 2 years. The second time it mostly died, from being indoors and up here there just isn't enough sunlight to grow anything, period. I now use two grow lights, only pure water because the tap water here is pure poison, and I also use fish poop. One drop per gallon will do fine, never more.

DSC00604.JPG
    I trim the leaves every month, lopping off the large leaves due to the fish poop.

DSC00605.JPG
    And they are big, waxy leaves which smell of oranges. Mmmm.

DSC00606.JPG
    I got about 5 extremely large kumquat fruits last year with three large blooms of blossoms, I never used a Q-Tip to try and gain more fruit, but I will next harvest. In the spring I adjust the amount of light from the grow lamps to double, and in the winter they are only on for about 5 hours total, so that's 10 to 12 hours of light for lots of blooming time. I will also not use any fish poop after the winter so I don't get huge fruit, because that's just annoying.

Dunerunner, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Nice Tree @Brokor I did not know you had a green thumb!

I will second grow lights on a timer, without both you just dont get consistent results. I've been experimenting with low inputindoor gardening, lots of fails till I got grow lights on a timer and you need at least 50% humidity.for citrus and some kind of air circulation. I have a fan I let blow for 30 2x a day on mine, the wind helps them develop stronger roots and stems. And as Brokor said trim them early. THe truth is citrus doesn't do well indoors. Figs, are ok. but I haven't been able to get it to produce fruit unless I put it outside

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  18. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

In my home have two lemon trees. I put my effort during my free time; So, I am waiting for lemon fruit from two trees.

19. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Here in SC I have 2 Satsuma orange trees in the ground and they produce a lot of oranges hardy to 19 degrees for brief periods, have a Meyers lemon and a Persian lime in pots --winter I move them into the green house (have heaters if needed). Had a key lime in a pot for years and did real well produced a ton of limes then for some reason it up and died. Try to find dwarf varieties for pots

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Dunerunner likes this.
  20. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I think it's amazing that you are growing citrus trees indoors. I keep reading that meyer lemons are the easiest to grow indoors. Citrus likes a lot of sunlight so make sure that you put your plant in a place with a lot of light.
    If leaves or branches start to fall off or wilt, it could be sign of overwatering. I hope your indoor garden is thriving!

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. DKR
  5. Alanaana
    My first oranges are turning orange!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 19, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Media

Avocadoes

8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Lemon_Guavas

I always plant flowers close to my fruit trees.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Guava season is here!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Lychee

The BEST Kind of Gains!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Bananas

It's Bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Motomom34
  16. Dunerunner
  17. Ganado
  18. Motomom34
  19. Motomom34
  20. TnAndy
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7