Info Needed, Gasoline Storage & Additives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Struckin Fuggle, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Struckin Fuggle

Struckin Fuggle Survival Grasshoppa

What's the best additive for gasoline to be stored for an extended period? Where can I get it?

What are your thoughts regarding max shelf life of gasoline w/ additive stored in 5 gal plastic container?

Anyone stored gas for years, then ran it through a vehicle? Did you get typical mpg numbers? Trying to decide if I would need to adjust my range numbers.

I appreciate any help. :)

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

3. Struckin Fuggle

Struckin Fuggle Survival Grasshoppa

Thanks EL. :)

Six years? Really? Much more than I need as I slowly use and rotate. There's a fire code here that only allows 25 gallons to be stored in a residential building.

I haven't made the leap to outside storage tanks/drums yet ... this is just to get me to the in-laws place in case I need to leave Atlanta in a hurry.

I appreciate the help. :D

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I want to say it was a little longer than that, but without looking at the thread I can't be positive. Sta-Bil would be the way to go.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If its just in a residential building then you could most likely have a lawn shed or some such and just keep the gas in there and not have to worry about the reg.

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

PRI products beat Stabil hands down IMHO.

PRI-G for gas and PRI-D for diesel.

Do a Google for sources and look at several.....prices vary quite a bit. Seems I paid about 70-80 bucks for a gallon last I bought, but a gallon will treat a LOT.

I've personally used them to store gas and diesel for 4 years in sealed 55gal drums. Sealed and in a cool location is a major part of the equation.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7