Initial review - alpaca hoodie

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I haven’t worn a hoodie in decades. But I decided to get one as a lightweight cover while traveling. I have been wearing a nice Armani sweater on almost every trip for the past almost 20 years. No, I am not a hoitie toitie kind of guy. I bought that sweater off the clearance rack at the Armani store all those years ago for… wait for it… $5! I did not leave out zeroes. Five freaking bucks. It is nice and comfy and medium warm. It is still a go too even though getting worn out. A young lady complemented me on the Armani at the airport just a few weeks ago.

After all this time, why a hoodie? I like wool and I like alpaca wool. Been feeling cold in the neck when I fly. Planes and airports have been cool lately. Hence the hoodie. Neck gets cold, put on the hood.

Breathe Men's Full Zip - All-Natural Alpaca Activewear | Paka

I only received it today, so this is just my initial reaction to it. I do not do unboxing reviews. I find those silly since I know how to open a package and look inside.

It came packaged in an economical envelope. And I found the material very nice and soft to the touch. It was also quite warm. I also liked that it packs down really small. Maybe half to even a third of what the Armani packs down to. It has slightly longer sleeves with a thumb hole if you want to pull it down to warm your hands.

Only two things that I did not like too much. The fit runs small to me. I got and XL and it fits snugly like an athletic fit. For a hoodie or sweater, I prefer loose and baggy. I am around 200 pounds and wear a size 46 coat. The XL hoodie fit about as snug as an XL t-shirt.

I’ll be wearing it a couple times a week, when I am flying, so can give a better longer term review later.

Maybe.

Wife tried it on and hasn’t taken it off yet. And asked me to buy one for our daughter on the mainland.

Brokor, Dunerunner, natshare and 6 others like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Nice looking model and hoodie.

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've heard that Alpaca fur is pretty soft stuff .

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

It's also extremely warm. I have an Alpaca sweater...you don't put it on unless you're ready to go out NOW. But it looks to be 3 to 4 times thicker than your hoodie, Hanzo. Nice acquisition!

sec_monkey, Dunerunner, Meat and 2 others like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo. Wifee wore it all night. Testament to comfort.

Dunerunner, Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Feels very soft and very warm for something so light.

sec_monkey, SB21, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The weight of the hoodie is suitable even for Hawaii. Very comfy. When it’s cold, can always layer with something over since it is so thin.

sec_monkey, techsar, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That look! Say's sorry chump but you just forfeited the hoodie!

SB21, Hanzo, Dunerunner and 1 other person like this.
  9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yup. Lol.

I’ve posted about hoodies before. I’ve tried many methods for staying warm and being able to move properly during storm. Rain gear stinks unless it just cannot be helped. I prefer swapping out hoodies every few hours when it soaks through, works for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2023
  10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Absolutely LOVE alpaca wool. Unfortunately for this hoodie:
    1. my GF is HORRIBLY allergic to pretty much ANY wool. Including alpaca. :cry:
    2. they only go up to 2X size....a bit small, for my CHONKY body! ;)
    Probably both good things, tho, as that is definitely outside my price range! :whistle:

As far as rain coverings go, GORE-TEX is great! Until you find yourself in a high humidity environment. And then it doesn't breath for shit! Discovered that little truth in Guam. :rolleyes:

Dunerunner, sec_monkey, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

:ROFLMAO:

Dunerunner, SB21, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Alpaca should stay warm even when wet.

Dunerunner, sec_monkey, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I never wore rain gear in Guam. :rolleyes:

Driving on wet roads there is truly treacherous! Even when park lot surfaces get wet, or even if only your tires are wet. Can't stop and just slide. My friend even crashed his Ferrari there in the rain.

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I looked at this post and now I'm getting ads to buy one, my computer hates me.

Dunerunner, Meat, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

oh my

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

So far, the hoodie is super comfortable. And just right for the cool of the airport and plane. I also like that it packs really small. I just shoved it into the top of my Journeyman backpack.

17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’ll never buy myself something fancy like this but, birthdays come around about once a year.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The sweater I was wearing for over 15 years was a fancy brand that I would normally never buy (Armani), but it looked nice and was comfy. And… $5 off a clearance rack.

Got the alpaca hoodie primarily for my weekly travel. Packs small, comfy and warm enough.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Dunerunner like this.
  19. jukk0u

jukk0u Monkey+++

A buck forty for a hoody. Nope.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Got caught out in the rain a little bit. Hoodie kept me warm, but smell a little wet doggy.

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7