Initial Review - Axil GS Extreme 2.0 Enhanced Hearing Protection Earbuds

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by 3M-TA3, Jul 29, 2023.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Note: I'm doing an early review on these primarily because there is currently a summer sale that offers these for half price when you buy two or more. If you have been considering a purchase of in ear shooting and industrial active noise protection this is a great time to purchase.

I decided it was time to upgrade my hearing protection to an earbud style to provide better clearance for head wear and cheek welds, etc.., plus the idea of less weight and bulk from wearing over the ear protection. Even though the ones I've been using for the last several years work well and have active noise cancellation that allows me to hear naturally while suppressing gun shots, it seems that I'm always changing new batteries which is a tricky hassle.

After some research I narrowed it down to Axil, and from there to the Axil GS Extreme 2.0. GS Extreme 2.0 – AXIL

While there is a completely wireless version it is significantly more expensive and I was worried that if I lost one out in the woods it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find. With a wired version if one does come out it would still be held captive. It also helps to prevent losing one or accidentally mixing them up if you and your spouse each have a set.

The other reason I went with the wired version is a current sale that has a 50% discount when you buy two or more. At $100 discounted these are IMO a very good deal. The sale does also gove a 35% discount on one resulting in an acceptable $130. Full retail is $200 USD.

They come in this very nice compact carrying case that holds the ear buds, manual and accessories:
    upload_2023-7-29_13-52-34.
    upload_2023-7-29_13-53-12.

Here is what is included. Clockwise from upper left are the micro USB charging cable, maximum protection plugs in large, medium and small (mediums installed on the ear buds), medium protection plugs and other accessories *wind socks and collar/hat clip), and finally at the bottom the ear buds themselves:
    upload_2023-7-29_13-55-1.

There are two control units on the wire. The one on the left side turns the ear plugs on and off and adjusts volume, The one on the right is used for bluetoorh connectivity typically to a smart phone. This allows you to take calls and listen to music.

The foam plugs should be seated all the way down on the ear bud stems. I got the best resilts by twisting as I pushed. This will ensure the maximum amount of noise protection and prevent the plug from accidentally coming off.

To wear them you first compress the foam with your fingers then quickly corkscrew the earbud into yout ear then hold in place until the foam expands. The cable routes behind your neck and has an adjustment to take up slack if needed.

I found them to be be very comfortable for extended wearing and really don't notice them them due to their light weight.

The on/off switch is located on the left control and will be at the rear with the cable running behind the neck. To turn them onslide the switch forward. Silide the switch back to turn them off. The switch is very positive and has a good tactile feel with a just audible to the wearer click. Volume is increased by pressing the forward button and decreased by pressing the middle button. Very simple and efficient.

These will amplify noise enough to significantly enhance hearing while hunting or to overcome a certain amount of hearing loss. The sound quality is much improved over my overt the ear active protection.

I have not used the bluetooth functionality yet. For me this is a lesser concern as I am not tied to the phone and nrmally do not listen to music when I am outdoors, however, if I used these for haring protection on a work site this would be very useful. I also see a use if I had bluetooth enabled comms for use during hunting and defense.

Charging is very simple. Plug them into a USB C (micro) cable. Max charging time is 90 minutes. There is a charging indicator, with a red light indicating charging and a blue light indicating charging complete. Out of the box they were almost fully charged. Note that they may not be used while charging.

Recommendations:
    • If you are considering these, take advantage of the current steep discounts
    • Buy additional foam plugs to avoid shipping charges later. These are found in their Ear Care section: Ear Care – AXIL . Note that if you aren't wearing them for noise protection they have clear silicone tips for audio/blue tooth only usage.

Feature overview:
    • Tethered design helps to prevent loss and allows for simple and easy to use controls
    • Lightweight and comfortable fit
    • Ear bud design prevents interference with head wear and cheek welds on rifle stocks.
    • Can enhance hearing while protecting hearing damage from gunshots and other noises.
    • Bluetooth connectivity for music and communications
    • Built in Lithium Oxice batteries that charge via USB cable
    • Up to 120 hour battery life in standard use, up to 25 hours of enhanced hearing use.

upload_2023-7-29_14-40-44.

Instructions:
    [​IMG]
    Videos:
    This one demonstrates how to get them properly seated in th eear

A good review from a shooter's perspective

Another review that does a good job explaining Bluetooth operation:

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm going to explore pairing with a GMRS handheld like the Baofeng BTECH GMRS-PRO. This is an intriguing radio that also receives BHF/UHF, works with GMRS repeaters, has GPS and a whole slew of other features including the ability to pair with Bluetooth headphones.

The possibilities of this kind combo during hunting or defense applications is very intriguing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    Brokor and Tempstar like this.
  3. CheroKiya

CheroKiya Monkey

Nice buds bud.

4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of these and was gifted some Shokz bone conducting earphones.

I love the Shokz so I got sidetracked.

Eta: Price update....
    GS Extreme 2.0 Earbuds for Shooting – AXIL

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Cool - do the Shokz do noise cancellation so you could use them with ear plugs when shooting?

Zimmy likes this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

No, but since they aren't in my ears I can hear people talking to me without pulling out the buds. I talk constantly in person and by phone at work so they're handy.

They aren't half the product the GS is.

3M-TA3 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7