Inside the fascinating, bizarre world of ‘Prepper Pinterest’

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Sep 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I suspect the Keebler Elves but don't quote me on that. They do have some delicious cookies tho.

KAS, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A delicacy here...

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Those Elves are BAD!

[​IMG]
    But fairly well educated ;)

pearlselby and ditch witch like this.
  4. Airborne Monkey

Airborne Monkey Gorilla Survivalpithecus

Interest in prepping is booming everywhere ... not just Pinterest.

Survival shows on TV are offshoots of interest in prepping for instance. Message boards are another example. The boom in long term food stores. Wally World even, now offers freeze dried products and both Costco and Sam's offers emergency kits and supplies.

It's a combination of things that have spurred interest in being prepared.

1 - Tb2k started it around the turn of the millennium ... the internet boom started around the same time and really kicked it into gear.
    2 - 9/11 made everyone stand up and take notice that we are vulnerable.
    3 - Katrina brought it home first person - watching it play-out on TV 24/7.
    4 - The 2008 bubble burst Great Recession.
    5 - The reality of the Obama administration and where it was/has/is taking us.
    6 - The realization that something worse than the 2008 Great Recession is coming just around the corner.

So it's a combination of things and prepping is done on many many many different levels and with many different philosophies in mind. Pinterest is just another gathering place to share the mindset ... and it's contagious.

Now, the day we start seeing Pinterest dedicating more pins to true survival prepping, survival firearms and ammo included, will be the day we know it's really starting to take hold. As of right now however it's still mainly soccer moms and dads with nothing better to do but at least they've been subliminally drilled with enough shows and talk to make them start prepping on at least some level.

pearlselby, jimLE, Tobit and 2 others like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Around here somebody has decided to not stock their Cashew cookies. I can say it is a great loss to our prepper life style.

NTL, a local Mil Base sells them at $1.50 a bag, problem is the mileage it takes to get this morning cookie with our coffee. The dog thinks he is being punished when I offer up the pecan variety instead of his preferred cashew type.
    [​IMG]

Amazon wants an arm and a leg for them.

jimLE, ditch witch and Ganado like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Excellent post @Airborne Monkey. It is true that more and more prepping or at least being prepared for an emergency is an in thing. I also think that with the organic, healthy eating, kale is amazing- all those trends, tend to spur people into a world of do it yourself more now then in the past 10 years. I know when I am on Pinterest I wander from one thing to another, which spurs reading and researching.

pearlselby, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  7. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i started going into Pinterest more of a curiosity then anything else..then i quickly learned that there's things of interest to me there.now iv'e uploaded some photos there as well..there's plenty to learn there,as well as other places...

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  1. oldman11
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. T. Riley
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Trial and Error
  11. thegoldlock.com