Instead of another survival manual...

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by melbo, May 20, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Was finishing Good living in Grubby times last night.

Put it back on my bookshelf and realized that probably have 18 different "Survival manuals/guides"

Problem is that they all cover the same stuff. In small chapters. Nothing too specific.

I decided to check out a local used book store. JACKPOT.
    47 Hardcover books on everything from Home Child Birth to Hydroponic gardening for $63.

I think those that are anticipating a medium to longterm shutdown of services should look for books on how things work... I bought a book called The Pasture Book today. Talks about haying a field without a tractor. Greenhouses, Aquculture, etc.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not only for your own use either. Think about it, if you can get books cheap or free now then when things fall apart what would be more valuable than knowledge on how to keep living and if you already know it then the book can be bartered for a price like gold and even if its fiction then once there is no TV or radio then entertainment would have high value as well. Just a thought. [winkthumb]

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

BUMP...
    This post is to remind everyone that a personal hard copy survival library of books can be acquired for pennies on the dollar. I look at flea markets, garage sales, church rummage sales, used book stores, thrift stores etc. At some time in the future, public libraries, and public schools may be a thing of the past. Man will go on. Procreation will continue. Someone will have to teach the children. Knowledge is power. What you don't know may kill you. Put together your own library or a tribal one with your family and friends.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Oh man, I've picked up so many used bookstore deals since this post from '06. Anything and everything on how to do stuff. A reference library is a very good investment in your future.

Thanks for bottom dwelling Tac ;)

5. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

i pick the books up from the used book stores in the area i live in and i do allways found something i like to have for the book library

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

As it now stands, I'll need a small trailer to move the books I already have!
    It's amazing how things accumulate over the years! Now all I'll need is another built in set of bookshelves, 12 feet wide and 16 inches deep by 8 feet high! Man,...now that's a lot of reading!

7. Hulka73

Hulka73 Monkey+++

Used book stores? What are those? LoL. We're lucky that we've got a barnes & noble here. I've been meaning to print out all of my pdf's, just in case.

8. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I do get to hit the used bookstore everyonce in awhile, but mostly get my library from garage sales,thrift store among other things. I find myself buying quite often and don't have allot of room for bookshelves I find myself putting books in boxes, and stacking them up on top of each other. I have also done like Hulka a built a nice little library on my computer of PDF's, E-Books and articles from various websites. I figure me being a college student I can always gain more and more knowledge and I get plenty of it. One thing I have done is downloaded Barnes&nobles Nook software and they have some great "free E-Books" in their collection and that grows everyday. one thing I have thought about doing is Scanning the books I have and putting my library
    on a computer that has no contact with the Internet at all, Most comps today you can disable your wifi so there is no-one can see what you have collected as far as information goes. The hand held language scanners are fantastic for this. when the day comes and there is no internet, the libraries have all been taken away and knowledge is left to only the most communist of them all, with my library on a hard drive.

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

My office is like a used book store. Everything from farming, hunting, fishing, trapping, (of course with a user name like mine), reloading, general survival skill, several of the Foxfire books, mining, canoe and boat handling and building books, encyclopedia and dictionaries, religious and schooling books, wife has ton of cook and sawing books. I have left out a bunch of subjects I know I have at least one book or magazine about. If I live to be a hundred, I probably could not read all these books cover to cover, that is if my eyesight held out that long. Having hard copies could be very important in the future.

10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

For those of you on the interwebs without a used book store:
    I use the following:
    Ebay
    Half.com (a book only division of ebay)
    Half Price Books Marketplace - The online division of Half Price books, a local brick & mortar

Good luck and good reading. On a rainy, cold day- nothing beats a great book, a roaring fire, and a mug of coffee.

11. tc556guy

tc556guy Monkey+++

We have one of the largest used book sales in the country here twice a year.

Tompkins County Friends of the Library :: Home

If any of you ever need a particular book, always feel free to contact me ahead of time and I can look for it at the sale for you.

Hard copy used books are usually a good thing. Some stuff such as medical..I'd be worried about the info in used books being out of date.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7