Intel Core 2 Duo processors

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I'm talking about the all-new Intel Dual Crore processors, code-named "Conroe."
    What's the big deal? It's a new architecture. For the first time, Intel has specifically created one unified Core architecture for all categories. All are based on Intel's Core technologies, and all three are 64-bit-capable dual-core processors with shared enhancements.
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]The results of this advance are astounding. Conroe will provide more computing power and use less energy. This will help laptops extend their battery life. It will also enable system builders to come out with thinner desktops and workstations, since lower energy means less heat, which results in fewer fans hogging case space.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]What's more, lower power also means that the fans used will be slower, so your system will be quieter. With more PCs landing in the living room or in quiet dens, "quiet" is more important than ever.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Here's my take: Multitasking moves to the next level. With Core 2 Duo's virtualization technology, you can turn one physical PC into several virtual systems, all running different applications and OSs! You could run an FTP server on one, a Web server on another, have a database running on a third, and still be playing a game or surfing on a fourth. This is a boon for developers who want to keep "clean" virtual machines running.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Here's what PC Magazine Online has to say:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]"Conroe is the new desktop performance champ, and the one others will be chasing around the track for quite a while. Jaw-dropping speed."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][​IMG]PC World says: "Exclusive PC World tests show that PCs equipped with Intel's new Core 2 Duo processors, code-named Conroe, set new high marks for desktop performance--they're the fastest we've seen by far...Both of the Intel setups bested the AMD-based system on every test in our WorldBench 5 suite as well as on every one of our gaming tests...Intel has produced a winner with its Core Duo 2 design; and for the first time in years, the company holds a clear performance advantage over its longtime rival, AMD."[/FONT]

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

SO... You going to get one now or wait til the price drops?

I like the bat life extendability for a laptop.

Funny how little things kill the bat on the LP. CD usage and the biggest culprit is the VZ Broadband air card.

I wonder how much of a difference this will really make.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm waiting. My lappy battery needs replacing, but the machine is only a year and a half old.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Same here, but I have been thinking about buying a couple on Ebay.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7