Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Card (Free)

Discussion in 'Pay It Forward' started by melbo, Sep 20, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

This is a spare laptop WiFi card looking for a good home. The 2200BG is especially linux friendly in my experience. I've even had one working in a Hackintosh install at one point.

Free and I'll pay shipping.

2. oscar615

oscar615 Monkey+++

I could use the wifi card. I have an older laptop and wifi is not built in with it. Let me know what I need to do or how to proceed.

3. melbo

Cool. This is an internal card so you need to make sure your laptop has a space for it inside. What model laptop?

4. oscar615

oscar615 Monkey+++

It is an HP Pavillion zt1130. I don't know what is inside, I have never opened it up. But it has some slots, pcmcia?, on the side. A friend just gave it to the wife so I don't know much about it. Other than she is hoping to use it instead of sharing a desktop with the children. ;-)
    Do you think what you have will work? What do you mean by internal. Should I open the case and look inside for something?

5. melbo

6. oscar615

oscar615 Monkey+++

I don't see anything Like that. So I am guessing that you are correct and it will not work. Thanks for the offer, but maybe someone else can use it.

I will have to get an USB WIFI connector or a different laptop for my wife.

It is really cool that you do this sort of thing. Thanks again.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If your lappy has a slot for an external adaptor card (it will be on the side, most likely, about an inch and a half wide with an ejector button along side) I have a USRobotics wireless MAXg PC card that might do what you want. Might even have the software disk around. PM me an address to send it to and I'll dig out the disk and pop both in the mail. Be advised that my youngest grizmoid [loco] managed to wet down the machine, so there's no guarantee, expressed or implied, that this card will work. (But the price is right to try.)

8. oscar615

oscar615 Monkey+++

Thanks Ghrit. It does have those slots. I just PM'd you. Thanks again

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Got it, will mail out early next week. (Gotta search for the disk; I think I know where it is.)

10. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Nice guy!

11. melbo

As my 3 yr old daughter would say: "Brothers and sisters help each other".

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7