Interesting .22 shortage workaround

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by NotSoSneaky, Oct 10, 2014.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I understand Fienstein wants to limit the framimg hammers t0 18 ounces and to shorten the handle to 4.5 inches.

Fienstein is haveing trouble with the defination of "Standard Claw hammer and "Framing Hammer". This is set to go to a closed door discussion sometime in 2016. After the elections.

2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Framing hammers with short handles become easily concealable and could require a $200.00 NFA stamp.

Oh and...
    [​IMG]

Gimmie a coupla days and I'll post my own results. [OO]

*inserts evil laugh*

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The main sticking point seems to be the "thingy that goes up". Even the other libs wonder what the heck she is talking about.

4. HK_User

Fienstein is also expected to allow the short handles but only if the waffle heads on the hammers are removed and a soft silicon is used to soften the blow.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

No, no, no! Short pistol grip hammers are automatically considered "assault hammers" by evil assault weapons cheat sheet. And muffled heads would could be seen as silencers, another no no!;)

6. HK_User

But, they are allowing us to keep the double bayonets on the other end. Only because they have never seen any honest work done in their lives.

7. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Hmm mayby opening up the tip and swedging in a pellet? Just spit ballin here

8. NotSoSneaky

Gots a couple ideas floatin' about in my head.

Time for a little experimenting. Gonna be a busy weekend.

I'll post results.

tedrow42 likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

NSS , where did you buy the ramset 22 from ? Big Box store ? And if you noticed , you bought the 3 strength , while I have a full velocity high output ramset for concrete . Louder than most rifles ..
    Im also in the market to try this.
    Sloth

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  10. NotSoSneaky

Lil' Mom & Pop hardware store around the corner from me.
    I'll get to the range in a day or two and post results here.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Waiting!

12. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, gotta say this is interesting to say the least. I have some .22 ramset charges just laying around in the garage from a home remodel project I did. Gonna nafta stop by a store and get some 22 pellets and give this a go.

Ideas would be to find a way to mount the pellet to the cartridge. 5 min epoxy, jb weld, tape (since some of the cartridges are smaller on the neck).

13. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

The power capsules and .22's come off basically the same production equipment. (Same case manufacture, priming, charging equipment) they just don't load a bullet and crimp and seal the end instead. But yes some manufacturers have a slightly different size specified.

14. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Great post! Waiting eagerly to hear the results. A .22 revolver would be easy to load for this, I just wonder how easy it would be for the pellet to fall out of the cylinder by just walking around with it in the holster.

15. NotSoSneaky

Anybody can reload centerfire rounds easily. Improvising rimfire rounds is another thing. Basically I did what the guys in the video I posted in the OP did and took it one step further.

First the basic supplies;
    [​IMG]

One box of .22 ram set charges
    One tin of .22 pellets
    Common soda straws
    Some JB Weld
    Toothpicks

Mix up some epoxy and just a lil' dab'll do ya.
    [​IMG]

Just enough to coat the tip of the charge.
    [​IMG]

Give 'em a lil' squeeze.
    [​IMG]

Insert into a section of straw.
    [​IMG]

Double up because if one is good, two is moar betterer.
    [​IMG]

Now the really, really hard part.

LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS !

Once the epoxy sets, twist the completed rounds out of the straws.
    [​IMG]

Shown with a standard .22lr round & desk flotsam.

Tomorrow, the range !

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Please be careful.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Should be a simple thing to use, in my Winchester Bolt Action Rifles... I have a 52 Pre A, and a 69A .... Just push the Pellet down the chamber enough to load the Hotshot in behind it, close the Bolt and Shoot.....

Brokor likes this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's how I would try it *if* I would ever try something like this, and I am not saying I would...
    I wonder if that JB Weld may be too strong of a bond on the brass and when fired, could lead to a blocked breach. As I understand it, the blanks are designed to open only enough to allow for the energetic powder to push through as it heats and expands, and with the added pellet welded to the tip, this may create a bit of a surprise. Sneaky was careful not to use a lot of JB Weld, best I can tell, so I am looking forward to his report. Definitely eye protection needed for that one.

19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

NSS , I was thinking the same but with Dirkil or silicone of strength .. Not a sealed glued powder charge , Please use an old rifle & string !!

Were here for FUN & Great SEX !!! that might not be a fun time .. Plus having a glue / epoxy in the barrel is not good either . The riffling might be choked ..

Sloth

chelloveck likes this.
  20. NotSoSneaky

Valid concerns. Caution will be in abundance.

Was just called in to work. Range report will be a bit later than I thought.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7