Interesting .22 shortage workaround

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by NotSoSneaky, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You now have 2 projectiles, The pellet and the JB pellet Neat!!!

2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

edRange report:

Still have all my fingers. [tongue]

The results were, well... inconclusive.foosed

I brought two firearms with me, a bolt action rifle and a single action revolver. I fired a few rounds of standard .22lr to insure functioning and both proved OK. Next I chambered and extracted a ramset blank from each without firing as another function test and then fired just a blank from each. I'll admit to a wee bit of apprehension about firing one of the epoxied pellets first off so I chambered a pellet and then a blank behind it and fired them. Empty casings extracted and ejected easily. I did not hear any "ping" from the steel I had shot with the .22lr so I visually checked each bore and found them partially blocked. I removed the blockage and found little lead rings.

[​IMG]

I then chambered one of the improvised rounds and fired again with pretty much the same results.

Another little lead ring. maddd

[​IMG]

I know the focus isn't the best (phone camera) but if you look close you can see fussy images of the ridges where the epoxy remained.

Both with the pellet loaded separately and epoxied the charge (#3) the pellet traveled just a few inches down the bore before the charge blew the top of the pellet leaving the skirting behind.

Summary; The pellets I used were different from what was used in the video as were the firearms. The ramset charges were the same. Perhaps with the same pellets this might work, or a lighter charge, or an older, "looser" barrel.

At least now I know how the guys on Mythbusters feel. biglaff

If any other monkeys want to give this a go, please post your results.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Might be time to try a jacketed bullet.

4. HK_User

Just maybe, if you use Bees Wax to attach the pellet to the charge, the lead skirt will not detach. Not to mention that it will smell better.

chelloveck and oldawg like this.
  5. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Even with a loose pellet - no adhesive used - the top of the pellet was blown off leaving a little lead ring. If anyone was to attempt this I'd suggest trying the No.1 or No. 2 charge. It also might help to check several brands of pellet to see if one is better suited than the others.

One thing I left out is I did load five improvised rounds into a magazine for the rifle and cycled them through the action without firing them and they all fed and ejected without issues.

The big issue is finding a pellet/charge combo which would work in the gun you have.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I suspect that the issue is in the design of the Pellet, being used. A soft Lead Pellet designed for Air Pressure, should have very thin Skirts, so that the Air Pressure will cause the skirt to expand slightly to engage the Rifling in the bore. The extra Pressure of a Powder Charge into the cup of the Pellet Skirt, is causing the skirt to separate from the head of the pellet, due to the higher velocity gases, that form the extra Pressure. You really need a projectile that has a solid Core Base and little Skirting, for a powder Driven Projectile. Better go find a Different Pellet, than one designed for Air. I suppose one could cast some, with the appropriate Bullet Molds.....

NotSoSneaky, Brokor and chelloveck like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, sounds right to me. The pellets are expanding because of the cone shape and like you said, the skirt separates. Could try firing them backwards, but that's just no fun...
    Nice to see you checked the bore after each shot. Thanks for the trial, Sneaky!

NotSoSneaky and chelloveck like this.
  8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

There are heavier weight .22 pellets with longer cylindrical heads, that would hold together better. Likely not available in local big box stores, check online with AirgunDepot or PyramidAir........ ;-)
    Using a fiber bore-cleaning pellet under the lead pellet might work well too, like the base wad in a shotshell?

chelloveck likes this.
  9. HK_User

Sabot type also exist as well as solids.

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thanks NSSneaky

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Did you seat the pellet on the round when you "Hand loaded" them? If you did... Consider the distance from your charge to the pellet... the propellant charge placed too close to the pellet may cause the "rings" as they are pushed onto the crimps... try setting the distance .25-.3 inches from the charge

just a thought... YMMV

12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Was wondering if a non lead pellet might work better then lead. Thinking it is a harder metal, anyone know?

13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

What about bb's and beeswax?

14. Mountainman

Would work but accuracy would probably suffer since the BB might not engage the rifling.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Maybe the "right size" bird shot?

16. kellory

Standsrd bb is 6mm but 8mm is also available. I'm sure, other sizes of ball bearings would also be available.

17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I would be wary using steel bearings in any rifled barrel... Its bad for the rifling and can form a barrel obstruction from hell.. if you are not careful....

18. kellory

Yep, it would need to be undersized, and wadded. Much like black powder.

19. Mountainman

20. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

what about swedging 22 bullets out of a harder aloy? air pellets are made out of the softest lead posible. harder pellets would probly hold

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7