Interesting choice of songs...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CRC, May 27, 2006.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Looks like the Dixie Chicks aren't done ..I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion...

NEW YORK

The Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines apologized for disrespecting President Bush during a London concert in 2003. But now, she's taking it back. "I don't feel that way anymore," she told Time magazine for its issue hitting newsstands Monday. "I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever."

As war in Iraq loomed, Maines told the London audience: "Just so you know, we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas."

The remarks led to death threats and a backlash from other country stars, including a high-profile spat with Toby Keith. It also stalled what until then had been the group's smashingly successful career.

Bandmate Emily Robinson said she knew right away the remark wouldn't be taken lightly and got "hot from my head to my toes."

"It wasn't that I didn't agree with her 100 percent; it was just, 'Oh, this is going to stir something up,'" she told Time.

For band member Martie Maguire, the controversy was a blessing in disguise.

"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said. "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

The Chicks' hits include "Landslide," "Goodbye Earl" and "Wide Open Spaces." Their new album, "Taking the Long Way," is due out May 23. The first single is "Not Ready to Make Nice."

Country radio disses Dixie Chicks
    'Nice' barely scrapes top 40; follow-up faltering

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Billboard) -- Disappointing airplay for the first two singles from the new album by the Dixie Chicks exposes a deep -- and seemingly growing -- rift between the trio and the country radio market that helped turn the group into superstars.

"Taking the Long Way," due out May 23, is the band's first album since singer Natalie Maines sparked a major controversy in 2003 by declaring that she was ashamed to hail from the same state as fellow Texan President George W. Bush. Radio boycotts ensued, and many fans abandoned the band.

The first single, "Not Ready to Make Nice," peaked at No. 36 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart, beginning its descent after just seven weeks. The second single, "Everybody Knows," is now at No. 50, down two places in its fourth week. (Watch the Chicks try to reposition themselves -- 2:14)

"Not Ready to Make Nice" performed only slightly better at adult contemporary radio, peaking at No. 32 on the AC chart and falling off after six weeks.

From the beginning of the album rollout, the Dixie Chicks were eager that their songs be worked to radio formats beyond country. The album was produced by rock veteran Rick Rubin, whose credits include the Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down and Johnny Cash. (Read Time magazine cover story.)

By picking the defiant "Not Ready" as the first single, they've reopened a wound that was particularly deep for country radio fans, and left many country programmers with the burning question: Why on earth would the band choose to do this?

After hearing the album, WKIS Miami program director Bob Barnett says he was "excited about the opportunity to introduce some great Chicks music to the listeners." But the group's decision to come with "Not Ready" as the lead single left him "stunned, especially in light of the fact that, when asked, programmers and consultants that listened to the project were virtually unanimous in saying we should put the politics behind us and concentrate on all this other great music we were hearing."

KUBL/KKAT Salt Lake City PD Ed Hill criticizes the song's "self-indulgent and selfish lyrics."

Barnett played the song for a week, but pulled it after listeners called to say it sounded like the Chicks were "gloating" or "rubbing our noses in it," he reports. "We didn't need to pick at the scab any longer."

He and other country programmers were upset that the group chose to launch its new album with a single that rehashed all the angst of three years ago.

The two singles have had a striking lack of impact at radio, considering the band's history. Between 1997 and 2003, it notched 14 top 10 country singles, including six No. 1 hits. In addition to eight Grammy Awards, the group has won 10 Country Music Assn. Awards and eight Academy of Country Music Awards. The trio has sold 23.4 million albums in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The Dixie Chicks and reps from their label, Columbia Records, declined to participate in this story. But -- at least as far as Maines is concerned -- the drop-off at country radio was part of its plan.

Maines was quoted in late January on EW.com, before the single went to country radio, saying: "For me to be in country music to begin with was not who I was ... I would be cheating myself ... to go back to something that I don't wholeheartedly believe in. So I'm pretty much done. They've shown their true colors. I like lots of country music, but as far as the industry and everything that happened ... I couldn't want to be farther away from that."

Maines also said, "I don't want people to think that me not wanting to be part of country music is any sort of revenge. It is not. It is totally me being who I am, and not wanting to compromise myself and hate my life."

At KNCI Sacramento, California, the Chicks' music weathered the 2003 controversy only to be pulled as a result of Maines' new Entertainment Weekly comments, coupled with poor scores in local music tests.

"When an artist says that they don't want to be a part of that industry, it made our decision a no-brainer," program director Mark Evans says. "There are too many talented new artists dying to have a song played on country radio, so I'd rather give one of them a shot."

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They cannot leave well enough alone, and their big mouths have cost them millions upon millions of dollars. After the latest salvo in which they were quoted as saying "we don't want the fans that have Toby Keith or Reba McEntire in their CD changer" McEntire responded with her own shot during this past week's Academy of Country Music Awards. McEntire stated "hosting this awards show is not that difficult, if the Dixie Chicks can sing with their foot in the mouth, then surely I can host an awards show." It was met with an astounding applause. We had all of their CD's, but have since thrown them all away. If you don't like the president or the administration's policies that is fine, but we don't need to hear it in London when you would not have the guts to say it in your hometown of Lubbock, TX. Then to apoligize, then to take it back. To disparage country music fans which is the only reason you have a home over your head and clothes on your back is pathetic.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I think Bush light sucks too. I think the Dixie Chicks are hot and I like their music. Does this mean that I got to burn my Tobie Keith records? :dunno:
    People should just get over it; what ever happened to being able to express an opinion? What happened to free speech? Has anyone forgotten that Bush is directly responsible for the biggest trashing of our constitution that has ever happened? He's even been quoted as saying "not that damned paper again" in reference to what is essentially his employment contract with us, the people.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Freedom of speech, sure, but I don't like it when someone uses the entertainment industry as their political platform. She would have never had the guts to say that in the U.S. Then on top of that she and they trashed the fans that made them, then they also trashed other artist (Maines actually wore a shirt that said FUTK during an awards show when they were shown by satelitte (once again they didn't have the guts to actually show up) and I find their act very tiresome. Personally I don't care what their political beliefs are, I pay to watch them sing, dance, act, whatever. I don't pay them to hear their political views, pro or con. I just wish they would all shut up and entertain us, not try to influence our political beliefs. I think a lot of people feel the same way, that is why they have lost millions.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[bow] I wish the dumb asses would shut up and sing.

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I could really give a fk what they think.

7. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

you know guys, nobody listens to you or me by ourselves.....we are inconsequential. But let a well known name step out with an opinion....right or wrong and everybody listens.

The chicks may not have done it in the best way, but they Did it. Charlie Sheen voiced an opinion and everyone took notice. More people talked about it, some scoffed but some opened their eyes and are taking a second look. Could you have done that? Could I?

Believe it or not, like it or not our celebrities taking a stand can help as well as hurt. Personally, never heard the chicks, but if I bought CD's or whatever would definitely buy theirs just because they tried.

Aaron Russo's new movie.... he's trying to open eyes, haven't seen it, but definitely will get from netflix as soon as available. Even watched Michael Moore's 911 movie. At least questions are being asked and not because you or I did anything but blog on here and elsewhere.

Thanks for your time
    CG

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7