1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Into the Iron Age,Arrow point.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by sticks65, Sep 2, 2010.

1. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Well technically speaking mild steel

After my latest visit to the museum and seeing all the arrow heads and so on it inspired me to make one out of metal.

I worked as a metal worker In the local engineering trade for over 10 years so made short work of this,it took about an hour.

I used files and a vise,no electrical tools,It was hard work but a lot of fun to do,I tend to get lost in the project when making things and find it relaxing to.

When I had finished all the file work I heated the point up using a blow torch and quenched it in water,then refiled the edges.

Its not perfect but im pleased with it

I copied the design from an ornamental arrow point.

for perspective the knife has a 4" blade.

The next step Is to make half a dozen arrow heads from metal,flint Knapp a few more and start fletching some arrows.

A friend that works as a gardener at one of the local grave yards will be cutting some old yews so hopefully he will cut me a nice piece to make a bow.

Id also like to make a fishing spear point from metal
    Brokor likes this.
  2. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I love it! Have to make some of my own! Good job!
  3. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Yep its fun to make them and Im sure you will enjoy it,take some pics[boozingbuddies]
  4. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Oh, I will...I'm waiting for my paycheck to buy a new grinder and tools... [boozingbuddies]
  5. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

that's awesome. You have some skillset. Wish I had the time to tinker with metal. :)
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am impressed ;) Great work, Sticks!
  7. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Grinder?,you can make them with files Bro.

Making them by hand is half the fun.
  8. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Thanks for looking Guys.[boozingbuddies]
  9. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Yes, but I'm buying the grinder for knives, and some other tools...
  10. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Ahh for knives.

You should also get yourself a bench sander with a grinding wheel,Ive not looked back since i bought mine and makes putting those bevels on knives a lot easier.
  11. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Slow down Sticks! My machinery terminology is not that good... :D
    This is what I'm getting:

And I guess this is your recommendation:

I agree that your suggestion i better, but I haven't seen this type here...If I find it, I'll get it...Thanks!
  12. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Id hold out for a little while and see if you can get the sander & grinder as that will definitly serve you well.[boozingbuddies]
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary