Intro to using tourniquets

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by The_Prepared, Dec 24, 2018.

1. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

FEMA and other groups are pushing for more public access to and training with tourniquets because recent studies show that trained civilians can increase the chance of surviving a major trauma a huge 600%.

Austere medicine instructors put together this free one-page class on how to use a tourniquet.

I learned a lot from it — feels like the kind of thing that's worth the 15-minute investment.

It covers what you'd learn in a local course and busts many of the myths. For example, it is no longer the case that TQs are a last resort, and they very rarely result in amputation or nerve damage.

2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Just don't use one for a shaving nick on the neck....:D
    Andy

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is a great article. I will have my sons read it. We were practicing with the tourniquet last week and they had many questions that were addressed in the article.

4. The_Prepared

That's so cool to hear, thanks! Mind sharing what they were asking about? Wondering what parts are resonating etc.

Gator 45/70 and Seepalaces like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One son specifically asked about if he was snake bit. They both hike a lot and have run into rattlers. I was also talking to them about rope is a no-no. I told them if they make-sift a tourniquet it has to be wide, no wire. We all have tourniquets and I believe in practice so there is one in the living room that someone can pick up and learn how to put on quickly.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Cat is best. Combat Application Tourniquet (C-A-T)
    Combat Medics now carry 2 inside each leg of their pants.
    Saw a demo and the deal is the CATs are open and hanging down inside the pant legs.
    Takes only seconds to grab and deploy.

7. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

CAT is the supplier for the local FD/EMS, They do a combo corse of CPR/ADS/LUCAS/Tourniquet, three nights for 3 hours.

Gator 45/70 and The_Prepared like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Wouldn't it be prudent to have more than one means of making a tourniquet ?
    I have been in situations that emergency personnel ran out of supplies , so what do you do , another person needs a tourniquet and all you can say is I'm sorry , I can't use a substitute for this life saving tool , your just out of luck .

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You can make a tourniquet from a long sleeve Shirt Sleeve... or a Pant Leg...

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Yeesh. Tourniquets, how and when to use them, was taught in the Boy Scout program a long time ago. Well before the program became wussified.

11. HK_User

Life changes and so has the use and types.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. HK_User

Just use a large surface area item.

13. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

What I remember of snake bite kits was that you specifically are NOT trying to cut off BLOOD flow; you are only trying to restrict LYMPH, just under the skin. Apparently the idea is so poorly understood that these guys are recommending against using it at all, because it's always done wrong
    The Treatment of Snake Bites in a First Aid Setting: A Systematic Review

The_Prepared and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The theory against using a tourniquet on a snakebite is because they (the alleged experts) thing you should let the venom flow and it will dilute in your body. That is what I have heard and read.

Dont and The_Prepared like this.
  15. The_Prepared

Correct: "The solution to pollution is dilution"

1. Qwertyportne
  2. hot diggity
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Meat
  5. AxesAreBetter
  6. DKR
  7. Motomom34
  8. wideym