Inventory of Stored WSHTF Products?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Old Sarge, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Old Sarge

Old Sarge Old Sarge

Has anyone ever made up a spreadsheet of all the stuff (food, paper products, etc) so that you can rotate it, rather than using off the front of the shelf? I'm not that swift with doing spreadsheets, or I would have already done it.
    Thinking you could keep track of everything on the computer, expiration dates on each item, dates you used an item, date it was replaced, etc.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to admit I thought about it. I'm a fair hand (not excellent) with Excel, but my stocks are small (only one of me) and easy to rotate and track, front to back. To make a spread sheet work right, each item would have a tracking number with the data in the spreadsheet related directly. Too much trouble for me, YMMV.

3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Inventory is probably a good idea if you are dealing with a large group of people. For me, it's much easier to just date the canned food with a month and year (on the top of the can with a sharpie marker), then rotate the stuff on the shelves, placing the new stuff in the back and using the older stuff first.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7