IP address confusion?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by USMCwife, Mar 22, 2010.

1. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

Okay guys, I have a random computer question. You know how ads and things of that nature pick up your location through your IP address? Well, my location has changed. It says i'm in Minnesota. I didn't change it. How does something like this happen?
    Not that I mind, the feds are probably monitoring this IP address anyways. I wouldn't mind if they think I'm on the other side of the country;)

Should I be worried that its different, and I didn't do it?

2. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

On one site, my actual location comes up. But on all others, I'm in the north part of the country? I'm computer illiterate. How's this happening?

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cookies are totally independent of IPs. Once one is set when you visit a site, it will identify you regardless of username or IP. I think you are incorrect about picking up a location from the IP addy. My IP is over 300 miles from here, and they followed me thru VA to here with no problem until I cleared the cookies. (Now they know I'm here.)

No worries, if the feds want to watch you, they will regardless.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Yeah, it's weird! I was recently accused of being a fed, due to someone checking on my IP address, it comes up VA also! I'm not that lucky, they get paid BIG money, I only get disability...and it sucks!

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Are you on cable? Many cable ISPs have a static IP address that pretty closely 'geo-locates' you to your computer. Others have shared IPs and Dynamic IPs that change every so often.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

6. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

On your internet connection you have an "inside IP" address from your gateway device to your computer which is typically your internal or local IP address. From your gateway device to the World Wide Web, you have an "outside facing IP address". For instance your machine IP might be 192.168.0.5, but your public facing IP address would be something different, i.e. 72.200.65.36. It is all based on NAT translation within your DSL modem/router or your cable modem. It helps protect you and your computer or home network from direct attacks from the outside world.

You can go to whatismyip.com to see what your public facing IP addy is. Then go to the run command and type "cmd" then type ipconfig/all to see what your internal facing IP addy is. It should be different from your public facing IP address.

7. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

Yea, I'm on cable, but have been for years. This is the first time its happened. I'm probably a thousand miles from Minnesota, and have never visited. Just thought it was odd. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being hacked by someone in Minn. since I really have only basic consumer knowledge of computers.

8. Conagher

One sure way to know if you've had your Internet connection messed with is;

Go to control panel> internet options> connections tab> lan settings> and then make sure automatically detect settings is checked (usually the norm).

If you have "use a proxy server for your LAN" checked, then you might have had a hijack of your broadband or cable connection. Just uncheck it if it is checked, and then put a check mark for "automatically detect settings" under Automatic configuration. Then click OK and then Apply and OK.

9. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

I'm on a mac. I went to system preferences and looked for similar options. I turned off a computer to computer network, but that's the only thing that looked out of the norm.

10. Conagher

I haven't looked at a mac for years, so I don't know how to check your settings without looking at a similar system.

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

12. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

thanks!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7