Iran dares US to attack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColtCarbine, Apr 16, 2006.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Iran dares US to attack
    by Stefan Smith in Tehran

April 15, 2006

IRAN has said it could defeat any American military action over its controversial nuclear drive, in one of the Islamic regime's boldest challenges yet to the United States.
    "You can start a war but it won't be you who finishes it," said General Yahya Rahim Safavi, the head of the Revolutionary Guards and among the regime's most powerful figures.

"The Americans know better than anyone that their troops in the region and in Iraq are vulnerable. I would advise them not to commit such a strategic error," he told reporters on the sidelines of a pro-Palestinian conference in Tehran.

The United States accuses Iran of using an atomic energy drive as a mask for weapons development. Last weekend US news reports said President George W. Bush's administration was refining plans for preventive strikes on Iran's nuclear facilities.

"I would advise them to first get out of their quagmire in Iraq before getting into an even bigger one," General Safavi said with a grin.

"We have American forces in the region under total surveillance. For the past two years, we have been ready for any scenario, whether sanctions or an attack."

Iran announced this week it had successfully enriched uranium to make nuclear fuel, despite a UN Security Council demand for the sensitive work to be halted by April 28.

The Islamic regime says it only wants to generate atomic energy, but enrichment can be extended to make the fissile core of a nuclear warhead -- something the United States is convinced that "axis of evil" member Iran wants to acquire.

At a Friday prayer sermon in Tehran, senior cleric Ayatollah Ahmad Janati simply branded the US as a "decaying power" lacking the "stamina" to block Iran's ambitions.

And hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that a US push for tough United Nations sanctions was of "no importance".

"She is free to say whatever she wants," the president replied when asked to respond to comments by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice highlighting part of the UN charter that provides for sanctions backed up by the threat of military action.

"We give no importance to her comments," he said with a broad smile.

On Thursday, Ms Rice said that faced with Iran's intransigence, the United States "will look at the full range of options available to the United Nations".

"There is no doubt that Iran continues to defy the will of the international community," Rice said, after Iran also dismissed a personal appeal from the UN atomic watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief must give a report at the end of April on Iranian compliance with the Security Council demand. In Tehran he said that after three years of investigations Iran's activities were "still hazy and not very clear".

Although the United States has been prodding the council to take a tough stand against the Islamic republic, including possible sanctions, it has run into opposition from veto-wielding members Russia and China.

Representatives of the five permanent members of the Security Council plus Germany are to meet in Moscow Tuesday to discuss the crisis.

In seeking to deter international action, Iran has been playing up its oil wealth, its military might in strategic Gulf waters and its influence across the region -- such as in Iraq, Lebanon and the Palestinian territories.

At the Tehran conference, Iran continued to thumb its nose at the United States and Israel.

"The Zionist regime is an injustice and by its very nature a permanent threat," Mr Ahmadinejad told the gathering of regime officials, visiting Palestinian militant leaders and foreign sympathisers.

"Whether you like it or not, the Zionist regime is on the road to being eliminated," said Mr Ahmadinejad, whose regime does not recognise Israel and who drew international condemnation last year when he said Israel should be "wiped off the map".

Unfazed by his critics, the hardliner went on to repeat his controversial stance on the Holocaust.

"If there is serious doubt over the Holocaust, there is no doubt over the catastrophe and Holocaust being faced by the Palestinians," said the president, who had previously dismissed as a "myth" the killing of an estimated six million Jews by the Nazis and their allies during World War II.

"I tell the governments who support Zionism to ... let the migrants (Jews) return to their countries of origin. If you think you owe them something, give them some of your land," he said.

Iran's turbaned supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, also accused the United States of seeking to place the entire region under Israeli control.

"The plots by the American government against Iran, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon aimed at governing the Middle East with the control of the Zionist regime will not succeed," Khamenei said.

There was no immediate reaction from Washington, but French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy severely condemned Mr Ahmadinejad for his latest remarks on Israel.

"As I have had occasion to do before, when the Iranian president made similar statements, I condemn these unacceptable remarks in the strongest possible terms," Mr Douste-Blazy said.

"Israel's right to exist and the reality of the Holocaust should not be disputed," he added.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[loco] [fnny] Let me get this right, they couldnt beat Iraq over a ten year period with Chem war fare and they are going to beat us?

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Its coming. We are going to bomb them reall good.

4. Quigley_Sharps

yea Im pretty sure it is too.

5. ColtCarbine

I'll be surprised if we don't. What concerns me though is the reprecussions that could unfold if our military uses nuclear warfare against them.

6. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

We will already suffer the repurcussion of simply being Americans whether we bomb them or not. Sad, but True. This Abjeminiabi................... character has a death wish and is not stable. We will see a nuke of some sort on our country with or without our preemptive attack on this wacko.

I hope our SF guys are working with friendly's in country who can take out this guy without our use of weapons. Yes, I believe assassination would be a simple step towards peace :D .

Clyde

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Hehe Clyde...

Peace through Better Optics
    [beer]

8. ColtCarbine

I certainly like your option better than guns-a-blazing with nukes, as a first strike.

9. Quigley_Sharps

Something will break, but look who is the wings of Iran if he is gone.....
    they better be careful
    Russia , China and the US will end up with each of us owning a Middle eastern country and oil before it done and the Middle Easterners will be back to goat herding once again.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And this is bad how? (Unless camels are high on the interest list somehow.)

What tickles me is just how silly they look while beating their war drums, chests all puffed up like a ruffed grouse drumming. You might think they really have something in the way of a war machine. Funny how it is that the less good stuff they have in their ammo locker, the more noise gets made. MT brags, methinks, and it's up to the majors to ignore the noise or get sucked into another waste of money and manpower. Ah, well. Iran is a case entirely too close to Iraq, in geography, mentality, culture, and the ability to cause irritation. I hope we learned from Iraq, but fear we didn't. :dunno:

11. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My sentiments exactly. If Carter would have had balls bigger than the peanuts he farmed we would haved already kicked their ass once.

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

If we just pushed a button and turned the whole damned place into a sheet of glass, then we could see where to drill our new wells....and wouldn't have to put up with any more of their crap either....win/win..

13. Quigley_Sharps

and a level spot to drill from [LMAO]

14. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

While I can see where they need to be delt with (or at least kept from becoming a nuclear power) I definatly hope we dont go in at present time.

We are already in 2 countries and streched a bit thin, if we go into a third I could see 2 BIG problems ariseing. First more of our alies falling off and steping out of the fight and second other muslim nations deciding it was US against all muslims and deciding to come together against a common enemy.

If we devide our forces between enouph fronts and they gain more support then I could actualy see us faceing real problems and if we make them glow in the dark then comes the question of whos pets were they? Dose China or Russia like them well enouph to retaliate on their behalf? Since the UN undoubtedly would not aprove would we then be faceing all the forces of the UN deciding we should be disarmed?

While they would stand a chance against our entire military, we dont have an entire military to send in at this point and so he may be a bit closer than we would like to think and at the very least they could present a far greater chalange than at other times.

15. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I didn't know they called that herding.

16. Quigley_Sharps

[​IMG]

17. Quigley_Sharps

:lol:

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[do-it] [sheep] No wonder sheep stink!