Iran Says Warships Headed Close to U.S. Borders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Story by the Associated Press; curated by Dave Urbanski

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian warships dispatched to the Atlantic Ocean will travel close to U.S. maritime borders for the first time, a senior Iranian naval commander said Saturday.

iranian-warship.
    An Iranian warship takes part in a naval show in 2006. (Image source: AP)

The commander of Iran’s Northern Navy Fleet, Admiral Afshin Rezayee Haddad, said the vessels have already entered the Atlantic Ocean via waters near South Africa, the official IRNA news agency reported.

IRNA quoted Haddad as saying the fleet is approaching U.S. maritime borders for the first time. The Islamic Republic considers the move as a response to U.S. naval deployments near its own coastlines.

The voyage comes amid an ongoing push by Iran to demonstrate its ability to project power across the Middle East and beyond.

The fleet, consisting of a destroyer and a helicopter-carrying supply ship, began its voyage last month from the southern Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas.

The ships, carrying some 30 navy academy cadets for training along with their regular crews, are on a three-month mission.

The U.S. Navy’s 5th fleet is based in Bahrain, just across the Persian Gulf.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

This is hilarious because Iran is obviously just effing with Barry.
    Could you imagine them pulling this crap with Reagan or Plural Bush?
    Hell… can you even imagine it with Clinton?
    No way. Not a chance.

Carter, maybe… and Barry, for sure (obviously).
    Not those other guys, though.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

[lolol]With the approach of this "Fleet" our response should be a USCG Motor LifeBoat, just to make sure they do not run into any Rocks....

tulianr and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Kind of my thought on their "fleet". Seriously? Two ships? For real?

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I think a couple of hull mines would do the job nicely, delivered by our Navy Seals.... you must keep up on your training don't cha know.. :)

BTPost likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

".....A three hour tour, a three hour tour. The weather started getting rough, the little ship was tossed........"

7. Yard Dart

I just can not picture Gilligan as achmed.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I drive a Go-Fast boat on the edge of the Gulf.

I sure hope they don't fling a torpedo at me and blow up a Nutria.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And from SpecOps Nuke Sub that is never detected.... The ship just disappears.....

tacmotusn and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Send out a Princess cruise ship and give them Norwalk virus

11. Yard Dart

Well duh... what else.... *evil terrorist killing smile*...:D
    Never was a frog in this life, but jealous of these naval opportunities to reach out and... "touch" somebody!!

12. Yard Dart

That is some funny stuff @Silversnake , well played!!

13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

14. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

They actually do have enough of a navy to warrant at least keeping an eye on. Specifically the 3 Russian made Kilo class subs.
    With refueling capabilities in Cuba, they really could be a threat. No one really knows the depth of their relationship with North Korea, but I would bet Kin Jong Un would be willing to give one of his nukes to the Iranians if they had a plan to use one of their subs as a launch vehicle, or as the base for a covert op to deliver a backpack sized warhead. Once a swimmer gets to the beach with one of those, you can imagine where it could be used. Anywhere...

Iranian Naval Fleet

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

K boats are diesel electric, and will need refueling facilities. Cuba, maybe. At any rate, they will be easily found during refueling, then tracked. They do not have missile launching capability (except maybe SAM anti aircraft weapons.) KJU might be willing to lend them a nuke, but still have no delivery system.

16. CaboWabo5150

How about the sub as the delivery system ? Right up the Hudson or Potomac River... Sure they can be tracked, but there are limits to that as well. I would assume there is some type of defense against at least something coming up the Potomac, but there are plenty of other potential targets. On the East, West and Gulf coasts, which I'll not name here. But easy targets with the potential of reeking havoc on infrastructure and grid systems nationwide, let alone in that immediate area if they were taken out. -- Just sayin' it's something I wouldn't take too lightly.

17. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

And. ... I'm still not going to worry about it.
    I can't stop 'em so, no sense in worrying about it.
    I'm sure there are a bunch of guys in uniforms just itchin' for some live practice.
    I'll leave it in their capable hands and carry on my merrily way as if nothing is ever going to happen.

CaboWabo5150 likes this.
  18. CaboWabo5150

Hell, maybe it has.. We'd never know. They'd keep that quieter than the location of Barry's birth place.
    If one of them got close enough to do any damage, it would be an invitation for any 2 bit dictator in a goofy hat to give it a try.. :)

19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Magnetically attached to a passing fishing boat, would be enough of a delivery system.

20. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

That would make the fisherman really 'crabby', wouldn't it? :)

oldawg, kellory and CaboWabo5150 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7