Iran Says Warships Headed Close to U.S. Borders

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Feb 8, 2014.

1. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

You guys are laughing at Iran's navy, but who keeps getting their boats sunk every year thus losing all of their guns to the bottom of the lake ?

[winkthumb]

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Guilty !, I have sunk 2 and no telling how many pirogue's I've flipped standing up and shooting a 12 gauge sideways.

CaboWabo5150 and tacmotusn like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Hehe...at least you didn't fire it downward to kill a snake that fell in the boat ;)

Not me...a relative, and by marriage only!!!

Anyhow, Iran may not have a navy of any significance but it wouldn't take much to have a rocket launch platform concealed under the deck. Many radicals would likely jump at even a far-fetched, hair-brained scheme to deliver a blow to the great satan.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    CaboWabo5150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Ever take a leak, while standing in a canoe?:rolleyes: Not the brightest thing I've ever seen....;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. kellory

I think it would ruin their whole day.

6. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

Do you think they'll come within rifle range of the coast? Could be fun!

7. kellory

No. The three mile limit was a product of how far cannon could shoot to protect the coast. You got a three mile rifle?;)

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not unless you can shoot 12+ miles.... That is the limit of Territorial Waters. It was increased by Pres. Truman from 3 miles, by the Truman Doctrine, after WWII. It is now codified by the UN Law of the Seas. If they violated that, they would spark a Massive International Incident. .....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

Absolutely! (Don't you?)

CaboWabo5150 and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I believe the limit is 200 mile's.
    Most state's have the 3 mile limit.

11. BTPost

Nope, the 200 Mile limit is a Economic Enterprise Zone, not a Territorial Limit... What that means is other nations can transit that Zone, but they can NOT Fish, or Extract, in those waters, without approval of the Nation claiming the Zone. This is what China is now trying to claim in the China Sea....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  12. kellory

The original limit was enforced with shore mounted cannon in costal forts. Their maximum shooting range was three miles, and that is where the limit came from. I may not up to date on the current limit, perhaps.

13. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Monkey

Can you imagine what it must smell like on a sub loaded with Iranians! Febreeze would have no chance.[gasmask]

CaboWabo5150 likes this.
  14. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

Never tested that kind of range, but I'm betting with enough arc I can get the .50BMG to act like mini artillery.

kellory likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Texas and Florida claim more than 3 mile's, I guess they have better cannons ?

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

iranianships.
    Sinking feeling: Iranian Navy sends message with US-bound 'rust buckets' | Fox News

17. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ok, so bear with me here...

A SCUD missile has a range of 110 miles. There are already concerns that Iran already has fissile material. Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that they have even just one of these things parked below deck, oriented lengthwise down the center of the ship and that the deck has been modified to open, even a small portion of it, to launch at the US?

Would that be possible at all? And if so, who better to send on the suicide mission than a bunch of untrained cadets that "won't be missed" in a rust bucket that has already seen both better days and the back of our hand?

Yes, yes, I know the official line is that these are conventionally armed, but that's what we know about.

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Is this a feasible option for a first strike platform, sure. I highly doubt even they are that stupid, unless they had more than a few to do some true damage at one time.
    [tinfoil101]

19. BTPost

and if so, and since they have never tested their Atomic Triggers, what happens if they launch, and it doesn't go off? They get turned into a Glass Parking Lot, with absolutely No Noise from ANY other Country, and the blessings of Most..... and We, then go on a Rampage thru all their client States and waste them, as well..... Just to make sure everyone understands, what it means, to mess with US......

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. kellory

"True damage".....like an electromagnetic pulse? You know what that would do to the grid. Iran would become a parking lot, but we would be hit hard as well.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7