iranians mixing it up in the straits of Hormuz.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

turnd on thetube, cnn reporting 5 Iranian gunboats "provoked 3 american warshipto man to their guns in the straits of hormuz....
    Propoganda? we have "warships" and the iranians have "gunboats":shock:more details at11.....

2. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

teeny little boat or not packed with explosives they'll punch a hole big enough for a truck to climb through (cole) if near enough. Nothing to sneeze at with our current very thin skinned capital ships.

3. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I thought that was what 5" 54's were invented for.

jim

4. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Yes but those twits want to die. If you have 200+ small little boats coming from all directions and only 1 or 2 54's If one of those boats gets through it will punch a big hole in the hull. Two or more just might sink the ship. Those twits want to die so they are not gonna have a problem finding thousands of volunteers and can teach them how to steer a small boat in about 5 min.

Very low tech and dirt cheap but large numbers overwhelm.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6nm-6eCzM&feature=related[/media]
    ?
    got any of these on board?

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The modern Navy has lost their memories of "Kamikazies" attacking in WWII - simple defense, lots of manned small guns! My Frigate carried mounts p/s for two .50BMGs. Need many more, and enough guys trained to crew them. Or, 20mm Vulcan guns - that'd make mincemeat of attacking boats real quick.
    The current design of warships borders on the ridiculous - 'hide' the weapons below decks, out of sight. I guess it's more "PC" - don't wanna scare John Q. Sheeple on his sailboat when entering harbor. Makes the 'warships' all look like Pricess Cruise boats.
    Take a look at a pic of a late WWII Destroyer - that Tincan bristles with guns. They knew their stuff back then.

7. ruzz

ruzz Rambler

Well supposedly now their main weapon is the cruise missle, which is great if you need to lay the smack down on another fairly large target like a boat or enemy compound etc. Does make a bit more sense to have at least a few guns on there for these kids of cases though.

8. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

They also have been testing succesfuly might I add, a supercavitating torpedo. No guidance but once fired can't really be stopped effectively. Not really sure how the hell our battegroups are going to defend against a volley of these headed towards them. 200+ knot speeds.

The ruskies have supercavitating torpedoes that can be guided. Hate to see iran get a hold of those.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7