Iron Sights, is there still a place for them on the modern weapon?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tully Mars, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

You know, how it's supposed to go, the front and rear sights are just a little blurry! They are what you focus on! Now, put them on the blur, down range, and kill it!
    I like a six o'clock hold on the target when I'm zeroing in a weapon. I hold at six o'clock and adjust the sight to impact 3" above the point of aim.
    This is what I started with, I still have it.
    IMG_0080.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Ura-Ki, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Actually Dune, depending on the type of mount you used for your scope the worse you might have to do would be to remove scope and mount if the optics got damaged. As far as Iron goes selecting a set you like and getting them mounted shouldn't be a big deal.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

I would have to respectfully disagree with your class instructor. The A2 carry handle is an excellent design; they work well.

Coinidentally I zeroed a new build this morning. After getting done, it was time to play with it, putting the weapon through its paces. It brought back memories of being a young soldier training CQB with the large 0-2 aperture. Twenty-something years later the old system still works well. Put the front post on target and you'll make contact.

This is in contrast to the modern Aimpont we typically use now. I came to the conclusion I'd be equally comfortable with either. Especially at longer ranges....those numbers on the spin-wheel are your trajectory matches with your small aperature. And again, the batteries don't go dead with irons......

Ura-Ki, GOG, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

What's this! Warriors carting their rifles around with handles like purses! No self respecting Infantryman carries his rifle like a purse.
    But honestly, back up iron sights are a need on a Battle Rifle. One must just remember which aperture Fine Day/ Open Night they have selected. The tendency is to shoot high at night, caused by the urge to find (raise) the front sight as light fails. The AN PVS 22 doesn't work well with irons. Just remember: when using irons at night, aim lower than the tracers passing over your head. Best iron sight advise I ever received.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I learned the Marine "Modified Zero" for the A-2 rear sights and I absolutely love that setup. Makes Point blank to 600 meters easy peasy, and once you get the hang of it, it works just as well as the normal set up, but is vastly superior to the standard set up for night time! I like my AR set up for close work, and this gives me a very reliable sight set up and still has enough range to take the fight out there a good ways ( think counter sniper) All in all, The U.S. Military and the civilian shooters have an excellent platform in the M-16/AR-15 world!

Motomom34, 3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I do the same.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7